By J.L. Robb
Abraham lived in the city of Ur in the land of the Chaldees, 4,000 years ago, not far from the biblical location of the Garden of Eden. He is considered the father of the Hebrew people. If anyone ever asks where the Jewish folk came from, that’s it. Abraham and Sarah.
It is not easy to be one of the Chosen. The descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob have endured much suffering during their 4,000-year history. Against the ancient Arabs in what became the Promised Land, the nomadic Children of Israel achieved many victories against all odds. God is great at manipulating the odds; and the descendants of Ishmael, Abraham’s illegitimate son from a servant slave, never really had a chance. Israel was ordained to be, and it was. And is today. Against all odds.
These continuing battles in the Promised Land, in some ways was dessert. The main dinner came first and was served up in Egypt.
Joseph, son of Jacob (Israel), suffered as a result of severe sibling rivalry, was almost killed and then sold into slavery. Taken to Egypt, he was imprisoned; and his destiny seemed dim. Next thing you know, Joseph is Pharaoh’s right-hand man and second most powerful in the kingdom. Against all odds.
Human nature seems to lead us astray often, usually when things are going great; and the future Children of Israel were no different. Their history is a history of achievement and then failure and forgiveness. Then the cycle is repeated, ad infinitum.
This success/failure/forgiveness cycle is significant and occurs throughout the Bible. During Israel’s early history, the cycles were relatively short, a few years or decades. After Jesus was born and then crucified, the cycle became much longer, about 2,000 years. During that 2,000-year cycle, Jewish people often suffered immensely and culminated in the Holocaust.
The night of November 9, 1938, became known as Kristallnacht, after mobs of Germans launched an organized attack against Jews, the result of a shooting. A 17-year old Jewish boy shot and killed a German, part of the German Embassy staff, in retaliation for maltreatment his family endured at the hands of Nazis. Kristallnacht means the Night of Broken Glass. There was a lot of it.
Hitler used the opportunity to blame Jews for everything wrong in society; and with the help of German media, it worked well. The masses were brainwashed by the journalists and radio commentators of the day. Sound familiar?
Below are the orders given to the Gestapo at that time:
From Heinrich Müller to all Gestapo offices – transmitted at 11:55 p.m., November 9, 1938:
1) Actions against Jews, especially against their synagogues, will take place throughout the Reich shortly. They are not to be interfered with; however, liaison is to be effected with the Ordnungspolizei to ensure that looting and other significant excesses are suppressed.
2) So far as important archive material exists in synagogues this is to be secured by immediate measures.
3) Preparations are to be made for the arrest of about 20,000 to 30,000 Jews in the Reich. Above all well-to-do Jews are to be selected. Detailed instructions will follow in the course of this night.
4) Should Jews in possession of weapons be encountered in the course of the action, the sharpest measures are to be taken. Verfugungstruppen der SS as well as general SS can be enlisted for all actions. Control of the actions is to be secured in every case through the Gestapo. Looting, larceny etc. is to be prevented in all cases. For securing material, contact is to be established immediately with the responsible SD…leadership. Addendum for Stapo Cologne: In the Cologne synagogue there is especially important material. This is to be secured by the quickest measures in conjunction with SD.
From Reinhard Heydrich to all Gestapo and SD district and subdistrict offices – transmitted at 1:20 a.m., November 10, 1938:
Concerning: measures against Jews in the present night.
On account of the assassination of the Leg. Sec. v. Rath in Paris, demonstrations against the Jews are to be expected throughout the Reich in the present night…
…the political leadership is to be informed that the German police have received the following instructions from the Reichsführer SS and Chief of Police, to which the measures of the political leadership should be adapted, appropriately:
a) Only such measures should be taken as will not endanger German life or property (i.e. synagogue burning only if there is no fire-danger to the surroundings).
b) Businesses and dwellings of Jews should only be destroyed, not plundered. The police are instructed to supervise this regulation and to arrest looters.
c) Special care is to be taken that in business streets non-Jewish businesses are absolutely secured against damage.
d) Foreign nationals – even if they are Jews – should not be molested…
5) Directly after the termination of the events of this night, the employment of the officials deployed [for the demonstrations] permitting, as many Jews – especially the well-off ones – are to be arrested as can be accommodated in the available prison space. Above all only healthy, male Jews, not too old, are to be arrested. Immediately after execution of the arrests contact is to be made with the appropriate concentration camp regarding the quickest committal of the Jews to the camp. Special care is to be taken that the Jews arrested on this order are not maltreated.
6) The content of this order is to be passed on to the responsible inspectors and commanders of the Ordnungspolizei and to the SD-Ober- and Unterabschnitten, with the rider that the Reichsführer SS and Chief of the German Police has ordered these measures…
On Kristallnacht, hundreds of synagogues were burned to the ground and all the windows of Jewish businesses were broken, thus the Night of Broken Glass. As the synagogues burned, German policemen and firemen stood by, doing nothing.
As tragic as Hitler’s Germany was for the Jewish people, without it, Israel might not be a country today. The reestablishment of Israel was a prophecy, and for 2,000 years, Christians and Jews pondered how that would happen. God’s ways are mysterious.
God is speaking of the Jews through to the prophet, Ezekiel, about 2,700 years ago.
“Then they will know that I am the Lord their God, for though I sent them into exile among the nations, I will gather them to their own land, not leaving any behind.” Ezekiel 39:28 NIV
Then they will know…
God has spent so many years trying to convince the Jewish people to love Him, to worship Him, to follow the Law and the Messiah that He sent to save them, and us, from ourselves. We can be our worst enemy.
Is God still gathering his flock to Israel?
What about anti-Semitism in the United States? Since January 2017, there have been more than 100 bomb threats to Jewish Centers across our land. For the most part, these have not been reported because that is what the Jewish Community wants. Why advertise?
I know of no race of people who have ever been victimized and hated as much as the world’s Jews. Even the Presbyterian Church (USA) has made controversial and anti-Semitic gestures. Maybe they forgot this:
“I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”
To Presbyterian USA, pay close attention to the “whoever curses you” quote from God.
“Surely the day is coming; it will burn like a furnace. All the arrogant and every evildoer will be stubble, and the day that is coming will set them on fire,” says the Lord Almighty. “Not a root or a branch will be left to them”. Malachi 4:1 NIV