Witnessing for Christ in Hostile Territory 1 Corinthians 11:1 and Matthew 10:16 By Dr. David…
Getting the Spirit of Babylon Out of America
By Dr. David Bowen
The spirit of Babylon is a spirit of deception, rebellion, and anti-god values and morals. The spirit of Babylon is alive and well in America and has been for a long time, yet people seem unaware of its presence.
Jesus tells us to “watch out” for false teachers (Matthew 7:15). Paul tells us to “avoid them” (Romans 16:17) and declares them to be “accursed” (Galatians 1:8). So, one should not accept those who teach a false gospel.
Second Peter 2:1 says, “There will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction.”
False teachers who will bring in destructive heresies. So, what is heresy? Heresy is anything that denies the teaching of Jesus.
How does the Bible deal with heresy? Titus 3:10 says, “As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him.”
Here are some examples of heresy or false teaching:
– The denying of hell. (Hell DOES exist, and it is a real place.)
– The teaching that there are “many paths to God.” (No, Jesus is the only way.)
– Teaching that human works is equal to Christ’s finished work on the cross and can lead to one’s salvation. (Being a good person does not get you into Heaven.)
– The teaching that God’s grace gives us a license to sin. (Yes, God is patient and merciful, but He also holds us accountable.)
In the New Testament, Jesus, Peter, and Paul spoke about dealing with false teachers. However, false teaching goes back to Babylon and the Book of Genesis. (Note: I have a more detailed 45-minute PowerPoint presentation on this. If you wish, you can contact Lamb & Lion Ministries and ask me to come to your church and share this presentation.)
Nimrod and Babel
Genesis 10:10, speaking about Nimrod, says, “The beginning of his kingdom was Babel…in the land of Shinar. From that land he went into Assyria and built Nineveh…”
Nimrod was the founder of Babel, which was the home of the Tower of Babel. The tower of Babel is in Genesis 11:3-4. “And they said to one another, ‘Come, let us make bricks, and burn them thoroughly.’ And they had brick for stone and bitumen for mortar. Then they said, ‘Come, let us build ourselves a city and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be dispersed over the face of the whole earth.’”
This tar, or bitumen, used for mortar was used to waterproof the tower. God had sent a flood, and they said He wouldn’t be able to do that again; we will waterproof our tower. Their goal was to reach heaven and make a name for themselves. They wanted to be greater than God.
God canceled that plan! But, what came out of this was the birth of false religion. That is the beginning of the Babylon spirit.
The Babylonian Mysteries
Nimrod, the founder of Babylon, had a wife who became the head of the Babylonian mysteries, which was nothing more than a false religion. His wife, Semiramis, claims she miraculously conceived a son named Tammuz, who was to be the savior of his people. This mystery religion claimed this birth fulfilled God’s promise to Eve (Genesis 3), thus, a (false) messiah was born. The son Tammuz was supposedly killed by wild beasts and was brought back to life.
Idols picturing the mother as the Queen of Heaven were common throughout the ancient world. This is how religious practices involving worshipping the mother and child were introduced and promised things such as the forgiveness of sin.
Semiramis the Queen of Heaven
Both Ezekiel and Jeremiah spoke about worshipping Semiramis, the Queen of Heaven, and her son Tammuz.
“Then he brought me to the entrance to the north gate of the house of the LORD, and I saw women sitting there, mourning for Tammuz.” – Ezekiel 8:14
“The children gather wood, the fathers light the fire, and the women knead the dough and make cakes of bread for the Queen of Heaven. They pour out drink offerings to other gods to provoke me to anger.” – Jeremiah 7:18
“We will certainly do everything we said we would: We will burn incense to the Queen of Heaven and will pour out drink offerings to her just as we and our fathers, our kings and our officials did in the towns of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem.” – Jeremiah 44:17-19
Interestingly, Jeremiah 44 verse 19 says, “The women added, ‘When we burned incense to the Queen of Heaven and poured out drink offerings to her, did not our husbands know that we were making cakes like her image and pouring out drink offerings to her?’”
Here is the point we cannot miss. The gods transitioned as nations transitioned, but it was still the same Antichrist spirit.
The Mother and Child Worship
Numerous Babylonian monuments depict the goddess-mother Semiramis with her son in her arms. The image of the mother and child was so firmly entrenched in the pagan mind that when Christianity appeared on the scene, these pagan statues and paintings were just renamed and worshipped.
Worship of mother and child spread from Babylon to the ends of the earth, but they were called by different names in the languages of the various countries where they were worshipped.
– In ancient Germany, they worshipped the virgin HERTHA.
– The Scandinavians called her DISA.
– In Egypt, the mother and her child were worshipped as ISIS with the infant Osiris is seated on his mother’s lap.
– In pagan Rome, she was called JUPITER.
– In Greece, she was called IRENE, the goddess of peace, with the boy in her arms.
– In Tibet, China, and Japan, she was called MADONNA and had her child in her arms.
– India, Asia, and other cultures worldwide adopted this mother/child worship.
Semiramis was worshipped in Ephesus as the pagan fertility goddess DIANA. She was referred to as a fertility goddess because she mothered all the other pagan gods.
From Nimrod and Semiramis to Baal and Asherah
Again, remember, as nations transitioned, the gods transitioned, but it was still the same spirit. In Scripture, Baal and Asherah led the nations into idolatry (false religion). How did we go from Nimrod and Semiramis to Baal and Asherah?
– Nimrod became known as MARDUK.
– Marduk was later worshipped in Babylon as SHAMASH.
– Marduk was worshipped in Egypt as OSIRIS.
– Marduk was worshipped in early Assyria as BEL.
– Marduk was worshipped as BAAL in Babylon, Assyria, Egypt, and Israel.
What about Baal’s female counterpart, the goddess Asherah?
Well, Queen Semiramis of Babylon became known as ISHTAR. Ishtar was the mother goddess of Babylon (also known as the Queen of Heaven).
Ishtar is known as the:
– goddess of fertility
– goddess of sensuality and desire
– goddess of freedom and liberty
– goddess of war
– moon goddess
– planet goddess VENUS
Ishtar evolved into ISIS, the “mother goddess” of Egypt. First Kings 11:4-6 issues a warning about the worship of this goddess.
– Ishtar evolved into ASHERAH, who Jezebel worshipped.
– Ishtar evolved into ARTEMIS of Greece and DIANA of Rome.
– Ishtar evolved into ATHENA of Greece.
– Athena evolved into MINERVA of Rome.
Again, as nations transitioned, the gods transitioned, but it was still the same spirit!
Queen Semiramis is the original female goddess of false religion.
– She is later known as ISHTAR (Babylon)
– Who is later known as ASHERAH
– Who is later known as ISIS (Egypt)
– Who is later known as ARTEMIS or DIANA (Greece/Rome)
– Who is later known as ATHENA (Greece)
– Who is later known as MINERVA (Rome)
– Who is later known as JUNO (Rome)
– Who is later known as LIBERTAS (Lady Liberty)
– Who is later known as COLUMBIA (D.C. is named after her)
The Spirit of Babylon in America
The spirit of Babylon is alive and well in America. Athena is the freedom goddess and she sits on top of the U.S. Capital Building in Washington, D.C. Athena evolved into Juno of Rome. Juno became Libertas. Libertas is also known as Columbia. You can see her image in Hollywood, California. Like D.C., Hollywood has also embraced the Babylonian anti-God spirit.
The Washington Monument represents Baal, and the U.S. Capital building with the Freedom Goddess represents Asherah.
– “Libertas” is on the U.S. American Eagle gold coin.
– U.S. Capital has the sacred “pillars of Asherah.”
– The goddess Ishtar (also known as Columbia) watches over her domain — the District of Columbia.
The gods transitioned as nations transitioned, but it was still the same spirit.
The Spirit of Babylon in Europe
This Babylon spirit is not just in America.
– Nimrod became MARDUK.
– Marduk became OSIRIS.
– Apis, the sacred bull of Egypt, is the incarnation of OSIRIS.
Legend has it that the goddess was kidnapped by Zeus, who was in the form of a bull. This legend is why you see such statues of the female goddess riding a bull throughout Europe. Apis, the sacred bull of Egypt, traces its roots back to the Golden Calf of Exodus 32.
Nimrod and the European Union
The European Parliament has three places of work. One is in Brussels, Belgium. Meetings of the whole Parliament often take place in Brussels.
Since its completion on December 14, 1999, the EU parliament building in Strasbourg, France, has raised eyebrows and questions regarding its structure. The main tower looks unfinished. Why? Some say it reflects the “unfinished nature of Europe.” When you look at this building, it looks like a replica of the Tower of Babel. Understand the Tower of Babel was never completed. So, is the EU Parliament continuing the unfinished work of Nimrod?
We have come full circle. The end is just like the beginning. The anti-God spirit of Babylon is still alive and active in this world. Please be aware and don’t yield to this falsehood.
Maranatha, Lord Jesus!