Your Life Verse?

mattfivefour

To join? At least I hope that it's this one... because can't Hebrew for "cleave" also mean "to split"? (keep in mind that I don't know Hebrew, nor do I have a Greek/Hebrew bible.)
Rest assured, sis, the King James English word "cleave" does not mean split! It means "join to". But what is more important is the meaning of the original Hebrew, and the translations we have are correct. The word is דָּבַק (dabaq, which is pronounced daw-BAK) and means "to cling to", "to stick to".

livin_in_the_Son

Rest assured, sis, the King James English word "cleave" does not mean split! It means "join to". But what is more important is the meaning of the original Hebrew, and the translations we have are correct. The word is דָּבַק (dabaq, which is pronounced daw-BAK) and means "to cling to", "to stick to".
Thanks Adrian!! I googled the word for a Hebrew meaning, and that's what popped up. I could actually see why though... think of a meat cleaver. It's whole purpose it's to cut, or split, meat. That's why I put in the clarification that I didn't know Hebrew, and I had to return my book of the definitions back to the library. I need to actually find a resource that's on-line that's free. :hat

Hol

Worships Him
Thanks Adrian!! I googled the word for a Hebrew meaning, and that's what popped up. I could actually see why though... think of a meat cleaver. It's whole purpose it's to cut, or split, meat. That's why I put in the clarification that I didn't know Hebrew, and I had to return my book of the definitions back to the library. I need to actually find a resource that's on-line that's free. :hat
So glad Adrian explained, I had to take off for work so prayed someone with a better grasp than I have would tell you dawbak means stick very very close to Him❤️

Sandee

I have 2, the first is Psalm 28:1: to You I will cry, O LORD my Rock: Do not be silent to me, lest if You are silent to me, I become like those who go down to the pit.
The other is Psalm 73:25: Who have I in heaven but You? There is none upon earth I desire besides You.

Hol

Worships Him
Which is implied when a man leaves his mother and father, and cleaves to his wife.
Juli, I have a day off work so can expand on this precious verse.

Context: Moses is giving the children of Israel his final sermon. He recaps their 40-years wanderings, and prepares them for taking their promise. He reminds them of fallen Israelis (lost in rebellion), and to the remaining faith filled he says; "but all of you who held fast to the LORD your God are still alive today." Deut. 4:4 NIV. The term 'held fast' is dabaq, meaning to cleave, adhere to, to be glued to; it's a concept of thirst that is quenched, of becoming silenced out of reverence, or to be caused to reach. This remnant simply believed Christ's presence was what matters. He caused those to come into His promised land ❤️

As in 2 Chron. 3:12, describing the wings of the cherubims joining over the Holy of Holies; and Proverbs 18:24 "A man with friends is to show himself friendly, and there is a lover adhering more than a brother" YLT. In the context of our faith the term 'lover' is close to the Songs of Solomon for intimacy. It's a person loved by Christ who in return loves Him ❤️ It is Him remaining faithful.

Clinging to Him, basically choosing Him above any other affection on a regular, if not moment-by-moment basis.

You may notice that certain New Testament words are not obvious in the Old Testament. One of those, surprisingly, is 'faith.' We know Abraham had faith, but the OT treats matters / words for belief in God as more often related to a trusting confidence, a dabaq of being thirsty and waiting on Christ to quench my thirst.

:feedback

Last edited:

livin_in_the_Son

Juli, I have a day off work so can expand on this precious verse.

Context: Moses is giving the children of Israel his final sermon. He recaps their 40-years wanderings, and prepares them for taking their promise. He reminds them of fallen Israelis (lost in rebellion), and to the remaining faith filled he says; "but all of you who held fast to the LORD your God are still alive today." Deut. 4:4 NIV. The term 'held fast' is dabaq, meaning to cleave, adhere to, to be glued to; it's a concept of thirst that is quenched, of becoming silenced out of reverence, or to be caused to reach. This remnant simply believed Christ's presence was what matters. He caused those to come into His promised land ❤️

As in 2 Chron. 3:12, describing the wings of the cherubims joining over the Holy of Holies; and Proverbs 18:24 "A man with friends is to show himself friendly, and there is a lover adhering more than a brother" YLT. In the context of our faith the term 'lover' is close to the Songs of Solomon for intimacy. It's a person loved by Christ who in return loves Him ❤️ It is Him remaining faithful.

Clinging to Him, basically choosing Him above any other affection on a regular, if not moment-by-moment basis.

You may notice that certain New Testament words are not obvious in the Old Testament. One of those, surprisingly, is 'faith.' We know Abraham had faith, but the OT treats matters / words for belief in God as more often related to a trusting confidence, a dabaq of being thirsty and waiting on Christ to quench my thirst.

:feedback
Sorry that I haven't responded yet Hol, I've been busy. I understood the verse in question... my comment was solely based on you expressing that the Hebrew meaning of the word, cleave, should be researched. Since I no longer have access to my dictionary, I looked it up. The internet spit out two definitions, to join, or to split. I just wanted clarification that the definition you were speaking of was to join. :hat

Lily

Looking Up
This is one of my favorite verses:
John 6:68 Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.

To me, it sums up what direction in life one should take. It's almost as if there is nothing more to say. That wisdom is found in these words, the answer to life itself.

I simply love this verse.

I try to keep a clean appearing bible (no dirty edges, not marked up, so that I'm not embarrassed by how dirty looking it is in church. I've learned to use the online bible aids quite proficiently for devotions and research! My newest bible got wet when I was doing a job of delivering holiday flowers for a flower shop! So it is not marked up, but is crinkly from water damage. I have learned to use the computer more...

I have had to buy new bibles for water damage myself. If I leave it on the kitchen island for more than a minute, it is sure to be soaked in no time. (I can't tell you how many pages of homework have been lost!) I have some pages that are so marked up, they are highlighted AND underlined AND notated in the margins. But I actually get a little embarrassed at church when I get a new bible. Thats so silly, I know!! But I feel like I am being judged for not reading my bible enough. Its my own deal, I know. But I sometimes feel like I need to explain to the people around me WHY my Bible looks so shiny and new. Its self-righteousness, I guess. I subconsciously want people to think I am a "better Christian" than I am? I don't know. I am psycho-analyzing myself. HAHAH

My mom's Bible is a HUGE treasure!!! She gets hers rebound every once in awhile and always lets up know when it is out for repair. Just in case something happens to her, she wants us to know that we should go get it. I LOVE looking through other people's Bible! It really does give you a great sense of who they are.

Our Family verse: Jeremiah 29:11-13
11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

And my own most quoted: Phil 4:6
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

MarleneF

I have so many that have gotten me through so many difficult times.

For the last 10 years, this has been my most important Bible verse, and I usual it a lot ministering to other hurting people.

"More than that, we rejoice in our suffering, knowing the suffereing produces endurance and endurance produces character and character produces hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured out by the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." Romans 5:3-5

I also spent a lot of time memorizing Proverbs 3:5-6 after I translated it from Hebrew. As I hide this Word in my heart, I learned to trust God, in a way I had not been doing before.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding
In all your ways acknowledge him, and we will make straight your paths."Proverbs 35-6

Other verses God has ministered to me with in a major way include Phil. 1:6, Romans 8:28. All of Romans 8, all of Rmoans 5, Matt 11: 28-30, Psalm 23, Psalm 42:5, Psalm 4:10, Psalm 62, the Lord's Prayer, 1 John 32, 2 Cor. 3:18, Romans 12:1-2, Nehemiah 10:8 and so on.

Just so much in the Bible! What a joy to read all the verses God has given them to guide them in a special way.

Andy C

Philippians 4: 11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ[b] who strengthens me.

In my walk with Him, there have been many highs, and a few lows, but verse 13 always encourages me. I have several t-shirts with that printed on them, and those are my gym shirts.

greg64

I've never really thought about it in terms of a life verse, but Romans 8:38-39 is one of my favorites that really sticks in my mind:

38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

There are so many for my bible is marked with milestone that have had an impact on my Christian walk. However this has had a marked imprint on all my walk with Christ:
Isaiah 41:10
Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
Nothing assures a saint than hearing and getting an affirmation from the Creator that he has you covered.

ReadyforSupper

I have had to buy new bibles for water damage myself. If I leave it on the kitchen island for more than a minute, it is sure to be soaked in no time. (I can't tell you how many pages of homework have been lost!) I have some pages that are so marked up, they are highlighted AND underlined AND notated in the margins. But I actually get a little embarrassed at church when I get a new bible. Thats so silly, I know!! But I feel like I am being judged for not reading my bible enough. Its my own deal, I know. But I sometimes feel like I need to explain to the people around me WHY my Bible looks so shiny and new. Its self-righteousness, I guess. I subconsciously want people to think I am a "better Christian" than I am? I don't know. I am psycho-analyzing myself. HAHAH

My mom's Bible is a HUGE treasure!!! She gets hers rebound every once in awhile and always lets up know when it is out for repair. Just in case something happens to her, she wants us to know that we should go get it. I LOVE looking through other people's Bible! It really does give you a great sense of who they are.
This is a great idea! I have to have mine rebound. It falling all over the place but I've got the best bible I've ever had and I'm not letting go of it.

If you ever read these, then thank you!

Back