Your favorite Christmas cookies

yrrek

Every year I make cookies with my boys. As I’m gathering up the usual recipes I became curious. What are your favorites? I’m up to 12 different ones and need to slim down lol. Cutouts are always on the list because the boys like to decorate them.

kathymendel

I made some cookie dough to put in the freezer, to bake just before Christmas. Chocolate Chip with a twist.
It also has butterscotch and vanilla and chopped pecans mixed in. We will be making some sugar cookies to
frost, and some peanut butter and some oatmeal cookies, too. We'll have to give some away, as it will be way too
much for just the two of us, and our pre-Christmas company.

antitox

I made some cookie dough to put in the freezer, to bake just before Christmas. Chocolate Chip with a twist.
It also has butterscotch and vanilla and chopped pecans mixed in. We will be making some sugar cookies to
frost, and some peanut butter and some oatmeal cookies, too. We'll have to give some away, as it will be way too
much for just the two of us, and our pre-Christmas company.
Raisins in the oatmeal? :D

Cloud Watcher

I have a question to throw out in case anyone might have a clue what I'm referring to. When I was a kid, someone gave us a tin of homemade cookies for Christmas. They were anise flavored. They were very hard. Very pale in color, about a half inch thick. You break off a piece and let it slowly soften in your mouth. I suppose you could dip it in milk or coffee if you were so inclined. A single cookie could last awhile. I really enjoyed them. I have never seen any kind of recipe that said how to make them or how they were baked to be so hard without burning them.
Anyone ever experienced that sort of cookie?

yrrek

I have a question to throw out in case anyone might have a clue what I'm referring to. When I was a kid, someone gave us a tin of homemade cookies for Christmas. They were anise flavored. They were very hard. Very pale in color, about a half inch thick. You break off a piece and let it slowly soften in your mouth. I suppose you could dip it in milk or coffee if you were so inclined. A single cookie could last awhile. I really enjoyed them. I have never seen any kind of recipe that said how to make them or how they were baked to be so hard without burning them.
I haven’t heard of those but it sounds good.

Kerbluey

I usually make what we call Green Christmas Tree Cookies. It’s my mother-in-law’s recipe. Basically it’s kind of a shortbread cookie that you use a cookie press with. In the shape of a tree, of course. With green colorant. Instead of vanilla we use almond extract. They’re loved by all who taste them! I’ll be hopefully making some before Christmas, but they’re really tedious to make. I love eating them. I’m not so fond of making them.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I think I've had what you're describing but it's been a long time...

Work4Peanuts

I feel like I've had that before a long time ago, but I honestly can't say. An internet search brings up German Springerle cookies. Maybe?

Cloud Watcher

I feel like I've had that before a long time ago, but I honestly can't say. An internet search brings up German Springerle cookies. Maybe?
Thanks. I found a recipe online that mentions letting them dry before baking, and the longer they sit afterwards, the harder they get. Definitely worth checking out. They mention a specific type of rolling pin. I just have a normal one. There were no designs on the ones I ate, just plain and round.