Yamina’s Silman denies Likud deal to defect, says Bennett offered her rival’s job

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Yamina’s Silman denies Likud deal to defect, says Bennett offered her rival’s job
Former coalition whip pushes back against reports her decision to bolt came with pact promising plum postings from opposition, claims elections not inevitable
By Shalom Yerushalmi and TOI staff
7 April 2022

Yamina lawmaker Idit Silman denied Thursday that her shock defection from the coalition a day earlier had come with promises of a sweetheart gig in a possible future Likud-led government, but said she was being heavily wooed by the current leadership with offers of ministerial positions, including the post of Health Minister Nitzan Horowitz. Silman’s bombshell announcement Wednesday has sent shockwaves through the political arena. Depriving the coalition of its Knesset majority — it now has the support of precisely 60 of the 120 MKs — her resignation has left the government on the brink of collapse, boosting opposition leader Benjamin Netanyahu’s quest to return to the premiership after 10 months, and setting off a flurry of speculation over other MKs who could potentially bolt.

According to Hebrew media reports, Silman’s departure from the coalition as a renegade MK was engineered by the Likud, which agreed to grant her the job of health minister if the party forms the next government, and is now actively looking to recruit other coalition MKs from the right side of the political spectrum. “I’ve been given no promises for the future. There are no agreements,” Silman told The Times of Israel’s Hebrew site Zman Yisrael in an exclusive interview Thursday. “On the contrary, I’m being offered everything to stay. I’m being offered the role of health minister. But I won’t go for it.”

In Silman’s telling, she made the decision to resign on her own, in the middle of the night. At 2 a.m. Wednesday morning, she got out of bed, told a friend who isn’t connected to politics of her plan, steeled herself, and dialed Likud MK Yariv Levin, a close ally of Netanyahu who led coalition negotiations a year ago, to tell him she was leaving the coalition.

more............. https://www.timesofisrael.com/yamin...o-defect-says-bennett-offered-her-rivals-job/

Footsteps

As a comparison, no one in America is fighting for the services of Kamala Harris, Pete Buttigieg, or Alejandro Mayorkas. They were encouraged to enter the transfer portal but declined when learning that the portal involved time travel.

athenasius

. There are no agreements,” Silman told The Times of Israel’s Hebrew site Zman Yisrael in an exclusive interview Thursday. “On the contrary, I’m being offered everything to stay. I’m being offered the role of health minister. But I won’t go for it.”
That's interesting. Because not only did she effectively stop the coalition by removing it's majority, she sowed seeds of dissension in the coalition by mentioning what Bennett was willing to offer her to stay-- that can't make the current health minister happy knowing that Bennett was giving away that position to someone else.

I'm pretty sure Bibi will use this to advantage.

It's quite interesting that neither the coup in Washington, nor the one in Jerusalem is working well. Trump is threatening to return and so is Bibi.

Nobody can ever say these are not interesting times to be alive in.