Worth

Soandso

I was recently advised to search for scriptures that tell us of our worth and identity. So far I've come up with 1 Cor 6:20 & Jerm 31:3. I like to print off several on some card stock and tape it in the shower above the tub surround to read while I take a shower. I have trouble memorizing so it's good to put it somewhere I frequent. There are no distractions in the shower.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Outside of Jesus I am worth less than nothing. In Him, I'll let Him be the judge... but I keep this half verse close to my heart: The eyes of the Lord roam over the whole earth, to encourage those who are devoted to him wholeheartedly 2 Chron 16:9a. I want that encouragement and I want to be devoted to Him wholeheartedly.

Kaatje

My soul waits for the Lord, and in His Word I hope
We are so precious to God, that He, rather than leave us in our sins, He send His only begotten Son to die on a cross to redeem us.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16).

Jan51

We are so precious to God, that He, rather than leave us in our sins, He send His only begotten Son to die on a cross to redeem us.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16).
And yet, He does not love us because of our intrinsic worth, as many teach today. He loves us and sacrificed His Son for us because He is love.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
And yet, He does not love us because of our intrinsic worth, as many teach today. He loves us and sacrificed His Son for us because He is love.

This can go around in a circle if you argue it. I would say that people have worth because Jesus died for us, but at the same time we didn't deserve it. But that doesn't mean we are worthless, because worth is a measure of value, and something is worth what you pay for it...

Being made in the image of God also denotes value, being adopted as a child of God denotes value. Notice how none of that is anything we have done, but I'd say we are valuable because God loves us and that gives us value. We don't deserve to be loved and we certainly aren't owed it, but each person is valuable because of the love God has lavished on us.

If you veneer trash with solid gold it suddenly becomes valuable because of the gold. It isn't because it's trash, but in spite of it being trash... but it's still valuable. So I would say people have worth because of God's love for us (the gold)

And when we are finally fully redeemed with our resurrection bodies and are truly in the image of God in both form and sinlessness, we will most certainly have value then. But still only what God has given us, nothing we bring to the table

Back