Works

Jojo4124

Isaiah 26:12 says that God gives us peace and does His works/accomplishments thru/for us.

Many Christians know that works wont get us to Heaven. Our works, flesh works. Jesus did that work...of salvation, rescuing believers from Hell, etc.

Jesus says that we can recognize a sheep (or wolf) by their fruit...and that we can do nothing (that He values) apart from Him. He says to abide in Him and He will produce fruit thru us as we abide.

We gain peace, according to Isaiah 26:3 by keeping our minds on Him. He is the Giver of peace, and the Producer of works that glorify Him.

Some believers debate works vs faith but the focus should be abiding in the Lord...seems to me that a result of spending time with God (abiding) will give us real peace from God, and bring fruit out of us.

Any work we do apart from abiding in God is a filthy rag because it stems from the flesh. We can even operate in prophesy without that coming from God, etc (ref the goats at the judgement)

I think this means that a Christian will do works for God...not on their own efforts in order to gain salvation, but because God glorifying (not man glorifying) works will be a natural outflow from abiding in Christ, such as the fruit of the Spirit.

I have never heard this take on "works" n I think new Christians may not understand that yes, our works from flesh mean nothing, but the works/fruit that God produces thru us are what He loves.

Is my interpretation correct?

Andy C

Here is what brother Jack has to say about abide in Him.

Question: In 1 John, John makes the statement “abide in Him; that, when He shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before Him at His coming.” I’m pretty sure that the phrase “when He shall appear” is in reference to the rapture. My question is, are there going to actually be believers who are ashamed at His appearing? And why would they be?

Answer:You’re speaking of 1 John 2:28. John was referring to the Lord’s statement in John 15:5 that if we abide in Him we will bear much fruit but apart from Him we can do nothing. Believers who don’t abide in Him but spend their life pursuing their own personal agenda will discover at the Bema Seat judgment that they have nothing to show for the years they spent on Earth as a Christian. Like wood, hay, and stubble their life’s work will be burned up in the flames of judgment. They’ll still be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames (1 Cor. 3:10-15).

I think it could be embarrassing for them to realize that in their preoccupation with the things of this world, they essentially wasted their entire Christian life. This is why Paul said that in view of God’s mercy we should not conform to the pattern of this world. Instead we should offer our lives as living sacrifices to God and be transformed by the renewing of our mind to discover His will for our life (Romans 12:1-2).

According to recent polls a large majority of people who claim to be born again Christians could find themselves in this situation when they stand before the Lord. They won’t receive any condemnation from Him, for there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1). But I don’t know how they’ll be able to avoid feeling some momentary regret that they didn’t devote more energy to putting their faith into action, especially when they finally see everything they’ve been given.

“You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness” (Ephesians 4:22-24).

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/why-will-they-be-ashamed/

Andy C

When I first joined the other rapture forum in 2013 (Rapture Ready), it was fairly common that some of the long time members would post teachings by Jack Kelley. I believe it was one of the Mods, Steve53 that used Jack the most, and as Steve said “why reinvent the wheel” if the wheel works. Even though Jack went Home to be with our Lord in 2015, his teachings live on, and are solid in helping get the message of the Gospel out.

Here is his brief response about works and fruit.

Question:After you are saved and when the Bible refers to works, what “works” is talking about? Is it just reading your bible, praying, going to church, or is it like being a witness or doing something kind for others? And then what is “fruit”? Is it the fruit of the spirit?

Answer: The two are very similar. Both come as a result of our salvation and are not part of attaining or keeping it. Neither are intended to benefit us, although we are blessed by them. They are meant to convey the love the Lord has for others, which He expresses through us.

Good works are actions taken at the prompting of the Holy Spirit. They are motivated by the gratitude we feel for the free gift of salvation we’ve received. The absence of good works in our life doesn’t mean we aren’t saved. It means we aren’t following the Holy Spirit’s guidance and are missing opportunities to express our gratitude. Ephesians 2:10 says God prepared things in advance for us to do. Therefore, we all have plenty of opportunities, we just need to take advantage of them.

Galatians 5:22-23 defines the fruit of the Spirit as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness and self control. These also come from the influence of the Holy Spirit, and like good works will result in positive action toward others.

By the way, nothing we do on our own initiative and in our own strength is considered good in the Bible no matter what the outcome. It’s all about Jesus working through us. He said, “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing”(John 15:5).

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/works-and-fruit/