Wondering if there's any other crazy about gardening types out there.

ReadyforSupper

Welcome Caedmon!

Oh... I'm a gardening nut! I'm in zone 9b so I can't grow a lot of what you've mentioned BUT I have bananas and pineapples and kokui and Japanese plums and my my tomato plants are three years old lol (I really need to replace those!)

There's a " how's the gardening going" thread in ladies chat but men drop in from time to time. I should have put it in anything goes...

Maybe a mod can move it.

Anyway, welcome to RF!

Endangered

The house I grew up in is now rented and my wife and I saw it for the first time in 10 years last weekend. A small pink camellia that was maybe 2 ft high back then is now a small tree that is at least 15' tall. Absolutely covered in beautiful pink flowers. My father had a green thumb and seeing this magnificent camellia my father planted many moons ago reminded me of him.

Carl

I'm zone 5. Have wanted a garden for years but disease from woods would contaminate garden each year, killing tomatoes, beans, cukes, squash. Racoons would harvest the corn.

Now have a new place and have deer to eat my stuff. Looking at a garden for food. Then worry about beauty.

caedmon

Ohhh, Carl, my sympathies! I spent 6 months doing a temporary job as a horticultural assistant at a swanky, river-valley golf course in my city. One of our perpetual frustrations was the varmints. We are approved of by the Audubon conservation outfit and so we are limited in our ability to anything inhumane - or effective. Losing painted daisies and lupins and stuff to deer; roses and mugo pines to porcupines, practically anything to rabbits (one developed a taste for marigolds, of all things) and what was left would be nested on by fat Canada goose rear ends. Sigh. And then the squirrels. And the mice. The agony of it all!

It never ends. Might change if a coyote eats a particularly slow, old golfer, but never ends. Sigh.

caedmon

This is what happens when you read up from the bottom. Endangered, I’m trying to resist camellia envy, here. Any chance you could post a picture of that camellia and make it more difficult? I’m from up north and have never seen anything more exotic than a magnolia. Would love to admire and eat my heart out. Beauty for Ashes, I have done hydroponic gardening, but never aeroponic.... you have me utterly curious. It’s 6 months late, but I would be interested in swapping info. Not sure what the options are for that, yet. Fill me in?

Endangered

caedmon, the next time I am at my childhood home I will take a photo and a closeup of one of the camellias.
This plant is located in Zone 8 near Zone 9. The house has tons of oak trees in the back yard and oak leaf mulch acidifies the soil.
Camellias like acid soil so this one is covered in blooms without using fertilizer.
I will post some pics sometime in this thread.

caedmon

oooh, endangered. Sigh. It must be like- well, as close as I can figure - Victoria, where the Rhododendrons bloom and the azaleas play. Double sigh. Gardening there is so easy it’s sort of, well, cheating. I’m on the equivalent of the Siberian plains, and the only thing that comes easy here is lilacs, irises, and day lilies. Or sometimes it seems like that. I look forward to the camellia. All my gardening right now is indoors (it’s a warm -8 centigrade here right now) and my brother’s bratty felines have chewed all my houseplants. An unchewed camellia would be a tonic, thank you!