Wondering if there's any other crazy about gardening types out there.

Kem

Citizen
Oh yes! crazy about flowers, shrubs and trees. :D Veggies are nice but our soil is abysmal though it will grow the shrubs and trees. Flowers I grow mostly in raised beds and containers. I just purchased some Frizzle Sizzle pansies for front porch containers that will later be replaced with something that can stand the sun and heat of summer. I also love lantana hanging baskets for attracting the hummingbirds.
Welcome to the forum! :welcome

mphsmom

Welcome! It is nice to meet you. :)
I love flowers and plants (especially hydrangeas and lilacs), but our Lord did not see fit to give me a green thumb. I once even killed a cactus. :( I tried planting some tulip bulbs last year; the squirrels found them delicious......
I have to satisfy myself with hanging baskets full of annuals and the beautiful dandelions that sometimes sprout in our yard. I would LOVE a vegetable garden, but our soil is the poorest you can imagine (very sandy and rocky).

caedmon

Thanks, brothers and sisters. Nice to be here. By the way, don't feel bad, mphsmom. Cacti are usually killed with excess kindness (too much water). They drown easily. You may have just been tenderhearted.

I was prepared to envy all you warm-weather area folks! But I guess every zone has it's problems. I don't have squirrels, but I have a dratted jackrabbit that took out some of my beets last year and is already back, sizing up my yard again though I have nothing in the ground.

Lantana attracts hummingbirds, Kem? Ooh. Neat. I can't get it this year, but I'll go for next year. We do get hummingbirds. I just bought a feeder, actually.

Well, this is a new house for me, and I'm a bit limited in what I can grow until we finish the major landscaping efforts. I'm mostly trying to take dominion over every creeping thing: creeping charlie, creeping bellflower, quack grass, goutweed, saponaria - I inherited a lot of invasive stuff. I want Jesus to return for more than this, believe me, but when that curse on the earth ends, and there's no more thorns and thistles infesting the ground...come soon, Lord, come soon! Mind you, none of us will be gardening when that happy day arrives, we'll have even better things to do.

It really can't be very long now, can it?

Rez63

Welcome caedmon!!
A bit of a gardening "crazy" myself! I actually got "Transplanted "to the city, so I haven't been able to get my hands dirty for awhile now. There are a few community gardens around that I have been eyeing for a bit now. I'm in Zone 7 here in Northern California. One of my favorite verses is in Genesis. Gen 2:8.."The LORD God PLANTED a garden eastward in Eden, and there He put the man He had formed ".

caedmon

Yeah! I thought that was cool! The Lord was the first gardener. And our first job was gardening. Must be why it feels deep-down satisfying to do. I sometimes joke that I love dirt: flowers and vegetables are a mere by-product. Not true, of course. I go crazy for seed packets like any other garden junkie (where will I put the thing?! Oh, beans, I'll figure something out!) :p

caedmon

Yes! Isn't it funny how that happens? Mind you, something else probably dies of overcrowding. But there are just so many beautiful things out there to plant, it's hard to restrain. "the fruit of the Spirit...is self control. The fruit of the Spirit...is self control..." I wish that was the only thing I had to meditate that about! So, Patiently... (or anybody else who hasn't got stuff in the ground yet) what are you dreaming of planting this year?

ShilohRose

Welcome, Caedmon! I'm not much of a gardener because we have to move a lot, but I would love to have some peonies and roses. At the home we lived before, I had some beautiful roses. I took a medium length trip this past week and drove by it. I was sad to see that no one had taken care of the roses, and it looked like the Japanese beetles had nearly eaten them up last summer. :(

caedmon

That is sad. I have a bit of a peony glut right at the moment: dividing some ancient overgrown ones and they come out in too many pieces, with not that many places to start new ones. I never tried roses. They are a bit intensive to take care of, I understand, and I'm going to keep it simple. I've been messing about with dahlias. I once grew the most gorgeous pinky-gold one, and I haven't been able to resist starting more from seed and hoping I luck out on that color combination again, with a nice root I can lift in the fall and keep.

caedmon

Thanks, Patiently. I'll look them up. Sorry for the delay replying: it's my second day of a new job and there isn't much left of me but a damp patch on the sidewalk. It's a temporary position as a horticultural assistant (they were looking for enthusiasm and didn't mind overlooking lack of experience). Fun, but tiring.

Nemophilist

Me too! Gardening is my "thing". Not veggies that much, but lots and lots of flowers! In spite of terrible allergies, I really look forward to spring each year so I can plant stuff. I live in zone 7b/8ish so right now is the time to be planting annuals and just about anything.
We recently acquired a 9 month old boston terrier who is very hyper and loves to bite leaves off plants sometimes, so I've been having to find ways to keep him from doing that. I've been trying to keep him away from the ones that are poisonous to dogs, like foxgloves and daffodils. In fact I have 3 big pots of foxgloves I would like to give away if anyone is close enough!
My lilacs are blooming now and they perfume the whole back yard. I could talk all day about gardening! :zipit

caedmon

Sigh. Dogs are wonderful. Dogs are awful. My former dog (mini American Eskimo, of faithful memory but VERY hard of listening) was great for chasing away the sparrows that ate my pea leaves. On the other hand, digging a large hole and lying in it to cool his belly was his thing, and he preferred the centre of my tiny asparagus patch. It didn't thrive. I'd like foxgloves, but there's only one type that's perennial up here. I'm definitely not close enough! I can almost smell your lilacs from here, though. Love lilacs. Common as grass, here, but I love them.