Woke Comic Books

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Woke Comic Books
Where characters become bisexual out of nowhere.
By John Stossel

Did you know that Superman’s son is bisexual? So is Batman’s sidekick, Robin, and lots of other superheroes created by Marvel and DC Comics.

The author of the bisexual Superman story says gay people write to say they “burst into tears” when they saw that the characters had become gay.

While it’s nice to make LGBTIQ+ people feel more welcome in the world, not everyone is happy.

They became bisexual “out of nowhere!” complains comic creator Eric July in my new video. “They make it seem as if the only way that you can relate to a character is because you’re gay and that character’s gay, which is nonsense!”

July, who is Black, says you don’t have to share the same traits as a superhero to enjoy the character. His favorite was Batman. “I ain’t got Bruce Wayne money, and I’m not rich! And I’m certainly not white.”

July points out that there have long been gay comic superheroes, like Northstar. But what’s new and dumb is that DC and Marvel are changing the identity of established characters.

A new Batman is Black. There’s a new Spiderman-like character, except she’s a lesbian who uses a wheelchair. Iron Man is now a Black teenage girl. Really.

Maybe this is progress.

“When I was a kid,” I say to July, “all the characters were white. It’s a good thing more are non-white.”

“But they’ve been just reduced to being an item to pander to certain audiences that aren’t really buying into it,” July responds.

No, they sure aren’t. Marvel and DC had the bestselling graphic novels. Now the best sellers are from Japan. Often, they aren’t even in color, yet they outsell Marvel and DC. The American-made books aren’t even in the top 20.

“They turned off their audience by … hyper emphasizing the social justice element.” says July.

Marvel made its evil character M.O.D.A.A.K. resemble Donald Trump. They hired leftist writer Ta-Nehisi Coates to create a Captain America series. Coates made the villain, Red Skull, a bizarre version of Jordan Peterson.

Instead of just saving lives, today’s comic superheroes lead protests.

The cover of a Superman comic shows Superman’s son leading a school “strike for climate.”

It’s so stupid! Superman, with all his powers, could solve climate change all by himself. But now he holds a protest sign.

“These guys are writing material for their peers,” says July. “So even if the Son of Superman falls completely off the charts like it did, right? It’s still a win in their mind.”

I thought that capitalism would be a break on the silliest of the woke world. But in this case, they’re just sabotaging their own projects. The bisexual Superman series was cancelled after 18 issues.

Marvel came up with two not-so-super heroes named “Snowflake” and “Safespace.” Really.

“Snowflake is nonbinary and goes by they-them,” says the writer in Marvel’s video introducing the characters. Fan reaction to the preview video was pretty bad. Marvel decided not to release Snowflake and Safespace.

I wanted to ask Marvel and DC why they seem fine with losing market share. Aren’t their investors angry?

Neither company would talk to me.

At least their stupidity gives new opportunities to independent creators like Eric July. He’s raised $3.7 million to fund a new superhero comic book, “Isom.”

The market will decide if people want to pay for new characters like him.

But July understands something that Marvel and DC apparently no longer do: Capitalism means giving people what they want.

https://www.raptureforums.com/politics-culture-wars/woke-comic-books/

RedRx

Just ask Disney how making content based on woke agendas verses telling a good story is going for them. People are voting with their wallets. Alternative platforms for producing and distributing content are gaining traction. Disney is losing money every time they release this sort of content. And Disney owned ESPN is so terrible due being infected with the woke they might be spun off soon. I guess a sports news channel actually covering sporting events is too much to ask in 2023.

Liberals have a monopoly on Hollywood but they don’t have a monopoly on the entertainment industry anymore. More people are realizing it is possible to bypass the leftists and create what you want and what people want to consume. Same thing is happening for the comic book industry. Anyone can crowd fund their own project direct to consumers. There is no need for them to go to DC or Marvel.

I will admit to getting a little personal satisfaction seeing companies destroying some of the strongest brands in the world in the name of the woke agenda. Capitalism will win and all of those woke comics will end up at Ollie’s or the Dollar Store significantly discounted. Good luck to anyone peddling that nonsense.

Jared

And that is why manga (Japanese comics) is stomping them in sales. I don't think I've read Marvel or DC in ages, and when I did it was only sparsely, really only enjoying Batman and Spider-Man.

Cloud Watcher

I miss all the comic books I grew up with....Disney, Warner Brothers, Popeye, Tubby and Little Lulu, etc., as well as Superman and Archie. I had a stepbrother who was 10 years older than me. He didn't live with us, he stayed with his grandmother after his mom married my dad. But he was always buying comic books and shared them with my brother, sister, and me. I spent many hours reading those comics.

MapleLeaf

I never got into the superhero comics but I loved the old classics. My kids collect Garfield, Peanuts and Calvin and Hobbes. They do like to read our old Archie comics too. We also have Heathcliff.

My husband was into the DC comics though he started to lose interest quite some time ago. He still follows the news and he said the new stuff is terrible. We had watched the CW show "The Flash" but had to give up when the woke stuff really took over. Yeah, it's the CW but in Canada the show was playing on our main network and I had no idea what the CW was or about it's reputation.

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
I wish I had saved all my brother’s and my comic books from the 50’s, as a kid I remember seeing Stan Lee’s name in them and ads for the Archie Fan Club.
Those old comic books in good condition (depending on which ones) can fetch a pretty penny.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
Had a couple Archies, but mainly Sad Sack, Hot Wheels, and a couple Spidermans. I still have my Capt. Savage and his Leatherneck Raiders series, Crash Orange, and the Nam intro book. Later I found manga like Nights of Sidonia and Evangelion. The imagination is fired by such concepts and in one way we can gain a better perspective of infinity and other ideas that go beyond the temporal.

But most lack or only glimpse the concept of someone greater, a ruler of all, even if they do cling to basic tenants of right and wrong.
Perhaps that is the strength of Narnia, Perelandra, or LOTR, in that there is a higher - ultimate authority.

And we should explore the most reliable avenue to understand Him. That is what makes the Bible the most powerful of all books. It leads through temporal and imagination to a reality we can only comprehend if we let the Holy Spirit help us.

Andy C

Had a couple Archies, but mainly Sad Sack, Hot Wheels, and a couple Spidermans. I still have my Capt. Savage and his Leatherneck Raiders series, Crash Orange, and the Nam intro book. Later I found manga like Nights of Sidonia and Evangelion. The imagination is fired by such concepts and in one way we can gain a better perspective of infinity and other ideas that go beyond the temporal.

But most lack or only glimpse the concept of someone greater, a ruler of all, even if they do cling to basic tenants of right and wrong.
Perhaps that is the strength of Narnia, Perelandra, or LOTR, in that there is a higher - ultimate authority.

And we should explore the most reliable avenue to understand Him. That is what makes the Bible the most powerful of all books. It leads through temporal and imagination to a reality we can only comprehend if we let the Holy Spirit help us.
I like your avatar picture of Lee Ermey. In 2005, my unit was the lead unit for Hurricane Katrina recovery and rescue, and Lee Ermey came out to film a few shots for his TV show “Mail Call”. I got to meet him and we talked one on one for about 15 minutes.

When I was a Drill Instructor, I used a lot of his lines from his movie “Full Metal Jacket”, in which he played a foul mouthed Drill Instructor.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
My understanding is that FMJ portrayal used to be SOP in the service.
To me, softening the impact of war on new recruits is unwise. Although abuse is wrong, testing is very necessary to succeed in the military.
I am glad I missed the draft, but I did entertain the notion of joining the Coast Guard. When I saw the Guardian I realized I probably would not have done well.

AndyC
I hope you feel honored to have served there. Warfare is a duty of a soldier, and all such honor is due them, however national disasters is where they shine. IMHO

Meeting L Ermey must be one of those Life List items.

Last edited:

Andy C

My understanding is that FMJ portrayal used to be SOP in the service.
To me, softening the impact of war on new recruits is unwise. Although abuse is wrong, testing is very necessary to succeed in the military.
I am glad I missed the draft, but I did entertain the notion of joining the Coast Guard. When I saw the Guardian I realized I probably would not have done well.

AndyC
I hope you feel honored to have served there. Warfare is a duty of a soldier, and all such honor is due them, however national disasters is where they shine. IMHO

Meeting L Ermey must be one of those Life List items.
I joked with him that my use of some of his lines got me in trouble. He then called me a dumb a@@ for using them, and then we laughed. I was not saved then, and sadly, profanity was my second language.

penbrat

I grew up on Archie comics. Still have a ton of them. Now they have added a "gay" or "trans" (not sure which) character to the mix.

MapleLeaf

Of course they did. It's so hard trusting new media these days. We bought my son a new series of novels that he had really wanted. He hates to read (other than comics) and I was just glad to get him books he would like. But after we wrapped them up for Christmas I remembered the modern narrative and panicked. I looked up the books and the author. The author apparently has written a pro cross-dressing book for little kids. But when we looked up this particular series the criticism was it DIDN'T include the lgbt stuff. However, I will have to really screen the third book when it comes out this summer. But son read each book in one day. We usually have to strong-arm him into reading a chapter each day. These books he can't put down and I see him reading them again and again.

I would only get the older Archies from thrift stores at this point. I know some parents don't like them because they are hyper focused on dating and more shallow pursuits like clothes and money. I think they're just funny and the older ones are still fairly harmless. Even as a kid, I knew Archie was kind of a loser for stringing two different girls along. I liked the stories where they had actual adventures and had to be like detectives and solve a mystery. I also liked Caspar the Friendly Ghost. I was normally not allowed to read anything about witches or ghosts but my mother allowed that one for some reason. We didn't own any, but when we'd be at my uncle's cottage we would read them. They had a whole trunk full of old comics like that. I have tried to recreate that for my kids.

Back