Witnessing and Assurance of Salvation

Hidden

This is a good reminder that we are saved by grace throuth faith alone. The only requirement is to believe in Jesus, and you gain eternal life right there and then. In that moment. It sounds radical and scandalous to the fallen mind, but that's because we are fallen creatures and we cannot readily understand the breadth and height and depth and width of God's love that He displayed on the cross.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I was raised Pent. Holiness.

We had the long alter calls and people would go forward, usually with much weeping and wailing. I am not knocking weeping or wailing, as there have been times that I myself have wailed before the Lord.

My uncle, a preacher, said he thought most people were saved before they ever made it to the alter. When they first stood, or even before, they had begun to believe.

It can be a very emotional experience, especially when we realizes what Jesus has done for us and how very sorry we are for committing such terrible sins.

Wings Like Eagles

Good read, thank you for posting it. One question, though. I hate semantic based discussions, so please understand that this is a sincere question. It’s a bit semantic, but we’re dealing with salvation here, so I’m going to ask.

Do we just need to believe, or do we need to believe AND confess with our mouth per Romans 10: 9? I read the whole sermon, but I don’t think he mentioned Romans 10: 9.

I’m not disagreeing with the sermon, I’m just asking for my own clarity. If you believed but never spoke it aloud, would you be saved? I believe you would, but if so why does Romans 10: 9 exist?

Would the thief on the cross have been saved had he never confessed aloud to Jesus?

I understand that we don’t have to confess to a priest, or say it aloud to our church group…I’m just asking…DO WE, or DO WE NOT literally have to confess WITH SPOKEN WORDS?

Its an important question because people who aren’t saved are going to ask it.
Throughout the chapter of Romans 10, Paul is dealing with the sin of Israel, as a nation, in openly rejecting their Messiah and approving of His murder by the Roman authorities. Romans 11 deals with God's mercy on Israel. When Jesus comes to judge Israel's enemies and set up the Millennial Kingdom, they will openly confess that sin. In the context of denouncing and grieving over Jerusalem, Jesus said, in Luke 13:35 that they would not see Him again, until they shout, "Baruch haba b'shem Adonai" ("Blessed is He who comes in the Name of the Lord")--a restatement of Psalm 118:26. Jerusalem (Israel) will mourn as one for an only son--see Zechariah 12:10. When they bless Jesus with their mouths, it will remove the penalty for their curse of Him and they will be saved. Gentiles are of another fold and we are not legally-bound the way that Israel has been, is and will be in the Millennial Kingdom. While it is good for us to confess Jesus with our mouths, and we were told to do that in His final instructions to the Church, we are not saved by confession--only belief.