Witness Lee and the Lord's Recovery

Dave_97

Has anyone ever encountered the movement of the Lord's recovery by Witness Lee? I came across him when I was early in my faith back in college campus. Right after I got saved I had read through the new testament and God was changing my life. I needed Christian friends and ended up joining an organization named Christians on Campus.

At first they all seemed normal, however I think the first thing that had me on alert was the leader of our group used a bible version called “Recovery Version”. It was interesting because I had never heard of it, it wasn’t even on my regular bible app. I brushed this off as well because there are various Bible versions right? Anyways, another thing that put me on alert is the leader of the group once told me that I need to get “saved more”. I was very confused what he meant because Paul makes in Romans salvation comes through faith. Our works are simply a response to the grace God has shown us, but they are not a means to salvation.

I still believed they were a good Christian group and maybe we just didn’t understand each other on a few passages of scripture. I also knew that I was a new believer and was still learning. However, the biggest red flag came when we started to meet various places that they stayed. I once went to the house of their bible study leader, and noticed his wife also used the “Recover Version” bible. I was also invited to one of their elders place for dinner and noticed he used the same bible as well. Lastly, I went to visit another of members home, Him and his roommates also used the same bible version. At this point I felt like the Holy Spirit was showing me a few things that I should take into consideration.

I decided to download the Recovery Version bible on my phone and give it a read myself. I also searched up who wrote this version of the bible, and that is when I stumbled upon the name Witness Lee. I read parts of the “Recovery Version” bible, and in Revelation inside this bible version I noticed on the footnotes this movement was claiming the rest of Christianity outside their movement was apostate? I was shocked to say the least. Back home my pastor for example preaches the full counsel of God, however I know as a believer he is not infallible he can make mistakes. But it is my pastors duty to correct himself and apologize to the congregation of anything he mentions that is contrary to scripture.

I think Witness Lee was a protegee of Watchman Nee. To my understanding Watchman Nee was more acceptable in evangelical Christianity. However, Witness Lee seemed to have gone off the rails in my opinion. His writings were confusing to me, especially when I run into his teachings of “One City, One Church”. Up to this day I still find it complicated and confusing, and Paul never taught or emphasized such teachings.. I also struggled to understand some of their teachings regarding the Trinity (modalism). Anyways I ended up leaving, but was curious if anyone has ever encountered them or had a similar experience such as mine.

Last edited:

chaser

We trust you Jesus, you are the only King forever!
Interesting, never heard of Witness Lee, I am going to do a little investigating. Almost sounds like a cult or Jim Jones setting.

athenasius

Very very bad group actually. I haven't heard of them for years, but I remember back when there were quite a few Discernment groups operating in the 90's, that this was one that concentrated on recruiting on campuses. I did a quick look to see what they've been up to lately and here you go:

http://www.letusreason.org/Cult12.htm said this QUOTING directly from Witness Lee to prove what he was teaching-- everyone reading this who isn't aware, the title "The Local Church" is the group that follows Witness Lee-- it is the title of their group and here you see his teaching that only people in HIS group have "the light". That is CLASSIC CULT behaviour and teaching:

The local Church (Witness Lee)- When we were in the denominations, we were blind. I do not believe that any dear Christians who have really received sight from the Lord could still remain in the denominations. Everyone who sees must leave the fold and enter the pasture, under the sunshine, in the fresh air, in liberty. Where are you now? Are you in the fold, or are you now in the pasture? Allow me to say this: if anyone is still in the fold, he is blind. Of course, a blind person requires the fold to keep him. But when he receives his sight, he will swiftly leave the fold for the pasture, for the sunshine, for the fresh air.” (Witness Lee, Christ Versus Religion LSM, 197,1 p.109-110)

The only way to follow the Lord absolutely is to go the way of the local church. (Witness Lee, The Practical Expression...p.94)

If you leave the church (the Local Church), you miss the mark of the Lord's testimony. You must be in the testimony of Jesus. Only the golden lampstands, the local churches, are the testimony of Jesus....if you are not in the local churches you are not the testimony of Jesus.”( Witness Lee, The Stream magazine Nov. 1976, p.7)

Living Stream and Witness Lee's church "the Local Church" organization launched a series of lawsuits, against their accusers-- who actually did have good reason to call him and his group a cult, but it makes it harder to fight because the information is missing with the exception of a few people who continue to contend for the faith.

Dr Ron Rhodes and Dr Geisler had a paper on their concerns with the way CRI under Hank Hanegraaf, stopped calling it a cult. It's a PDF found here:
Here is probably one of the best point by point critiques of Witness Lee's teaching: https://contrast2.wordpress.com/201...witness-lee-and-the-living-stream-ministries/

and that author agrees with Dr Rhodes and Dr Geisler but he goes POINT BY POINT. I will include some excerpts but I HIGHLY recommend you read the whole article. KEEP IN MIND the author of the article is a Calvinist Baptist so he has some other problems going on even now. I will bold the bits that should stand out to you:

"Witness Lee was born in China in 1905. He moved to the United States in 1962. Lee claimed to be an apostle who was leading and fulfilling “The Lord’s Recovery” of the church prophesied in books of the Old Testament like Nehemiah. He established the “Local Churches” by teaching that there should only be one church per city and to call a church anything other than “The Church in [Anaheim]” is fornication with the whore of Babylon."

Margery speaking in here,
if this sounds like the NAR movement, it is. This guy like Peter Wagner, claims to be a modern day apostle, and people who don't follow his lead are in "fornication with the whore of Babylon" back to article.

"The Christian Research Institute condemned Lee’s teachings in the late 70s. In 1977 E. Calvin Beisner co-authored an article for CRI The Teachings of Witness Lee and the Local Church. You can hear a lecture by Walter Martin (the original Bible Answer Man who founded CRI in 1960) delivered sometime in the 70s here http://server.firefighters.org/18000/18110.mp3 where he clearly lays out the heresies of Witness Lee and the Local Churches. There was also an open letter published online several years ago An Open Letter To the Leadership of Living Stream Ministry and the “Local Churches” signed by numerous apologists and Christian theologians.

In late 2009, the Christian Research Institute (which is now headed by Hank Hanegraff, who is plagued with controversy and criticism and whose proper succession to Martin at CRI is disputed) published a special issue of the
Christian Research Journal simply titled “We Were Wrong.” The whole issue is an apology to the Local Churches and an explanation of how CRI was wrong and how the LC are actually “soundly orthodox.” Norm Geisler and Ron Rhodes wrote a response to the CRI piece http://www.open-letter.org/pdf/Geisler_Rhodes_Response_to_CRI.pdf to which Hank Hanegraaff subsequently wrote a response in the latest issue of CRJ.

My Encounter

Members of the Local Churches, also known as Living Stream Ministries, are very active on college campuses. A friend of mine ran into them several times at Cal State Fullerton. She went to one of their meetings and eventually had a few of the members meet with her, myself, my wife, and another friend of ours several times over the last few months to hear them explain their beliefs. The goal was to understand what they believe and then determine if they were a Christian group or not.

Much of what you may find online for and against the group can perhaps be a bit confusing and maybe even a little abstract. My friend considered the possibility that it may all be the result of a language barrier between us and Lee’s original writings. However, these meetings, along with further study of their writings, have made it very, very clear what these people believe – and it is not Christian at all. I’m writing this to give you an overview of what exactly the group teaches and how it is heretical. My goal is to teach you what the LSM Statement of Faith should teach you, if they were honest. I have not come across anything that summarizes the issue in this way, so I hope this may be of help rather than just spilling more ink on what has already been said.

Margery here again, here is what is involved regarding the Trinity, a CORE doctrine of Christianity:

Lee clarified what he meant by triune. He meant three-one, not three-in-one. And, to make sure people did not misunderstand him, he said he was teaching something different than the “traditional” understanding of the Trinity:

“The traditional explanation of the Trinity is grossly inadequate and borders on tritheism. When the Spirit of God is joined with us, God is not left behind, nor does Christ remain on the throne. This is the impression Christianity gives. They think of the Father as one Person, sending the Son, another Person, to accomplish redemption, after which the Son sends the Spirit, yet another Person. The Spirit, in traditional thinking, comes into the believers, while the Father and Son are left on the throne. When believers pray, they are taught to bow before the Father and pray in the name of the Son. To split the Godhead into these separate Persons is not the revelation of the Bible, but the doctrine of the Nicene Creed”
Witness Lee, Life Messages
(Anaheim: Living Stream Ministry, 1979), p. 164
These quotes are both found in the Open Letter. The people I met with gave me a binder full of Lee’s writings that corresponded to the quotes in the Open Letter. Their intent was to show me the whole context of the quotes. I’m not certain what they thought that would prove however, since none of the quotes were taken out of context. The context only worsened what Lee was communicating."

Margery Here Again: Just based on Lee's own writing here he is teaching an ancient heresy known as Modalism, or ONENESS. This is a CULT and it's not Christian. It is a type of Oneness teaching.

Here are the definitions:
Modalism (Modalistic Monarchianism) (https://www.gotquestions.org/Modalistic-Monarchianism.html) - God is one person in three modes.

Modalism is probably the most common theological error concerning the nature of God. It is a denial of the Trinity. Modalism states that God is a single person who, throughout biblical history, has revealed Himself in three modes or forms. Thus, God is a single person who first manifested himself in the mode of the Father in Old Testament times. At the incarnation, the mode was the Son; and after Jesus' ascension, the mode is the Holy Spirit. These modes are consecutive and never simultaneous. In other words, this view states that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit never all exist at the same time--only one after another. Modalism denies the distinctiveness of the three persons in the Trinity even though it retains the divinity of Christ. Present-day groups that hold to forms of this Modalism: Oneness Pentecostals, the United Pentecostal and United Apostolic Churches. They deny the Trinity, teach that the name of God is Jesus, and require baptism for salvation. These Modalist churches often accuse Trinitarians of teaching three gods. This is not what the Trinity is. The correct teaching of the Trinity is one God in three eternal coexistent persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Groups that teach a form of Modalism: William Branham, Branhamites, United Pentecostals, and others associated with Oneness Pentecostalism who subscribe to the nontrinitarian theological doctrine of Oneness.

(Dynamic) Monarchianism (https://www.gotquestions.org/Dynamic-Monarchianism.html) - God is one person.

In the first centuries of the church, there was much debate about the nature of God: was Jesus fully God, fully man, or some mixture of the two? Does God exist as three co-eternal, co-equal Persons, or is He only one Person who manifests Himself in different modes at different times? What is the relationship between the Holy Spirit and the Father? Part of the debate in the second and third centuries involved a teaching known as Dynamic Monarchianism, a false view of Christ’s nature. Monarchianism taught the indivisible unity of God (the Latin word monarchia meant “single rule”). Of course, belief in one God is foundational to Christianity, but Monarchianism pressed monotheism to the point of denying God’s triune nature. Monarchianism inevitably leads to the false doctrine of Patripassianism, the teaching that God the Father suffered on the cross with (or as) the Son.

Groups that hold to Monarchianism: Witness Lee and The Local Church,
United Pentecostals, and others associated with Oneness Pentecostalism whom subscribe to the nontrinitarian theological doctrine of Oneness.

athenasius

Oh and Witness Lee broke away from Watchman Nee-- they aren't the same at all.

Your discernment is operating well. They are NOT Christian at all. They use the same words, and mean something else altogether just as you figured out with Salvation-- another core doctrine of Christianity.

Dr Ron Rhodes is a good Bible and Prophecy teacher who has also done a lot of work confronting the cults. You are safe with his books if you need help getting back on solid ground theologically.

Hope that is a help brother, God bless you!

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
In late 2009, the Christian Research Institute (which is now headed by Hank Hanegraff, who is plagued with controversy and criticism and whose proper succession to Martin at CRI is disputed) published a special issue of the
Christian Research Journal simply titled “We Were Wrong.” The whole issue is an apology to the Local Churches and an explanation of how CRI was wrong and how the LC are actually “soundly orthodox.” Norm Geisler and Ron Rhodes wrote a response to the CRI piece http://www.open-letter.org/pdf/Geisler_Rhodes_Response_to_CRI.pdf to which Hank Hanegraaff subsequently wrote a response in the latest issue of CRJ.
I wonder if ole Hanky boy, :puke oops, that accidentally splattered on his website, did an about face because they were being sued?
Thank you so much Margery for taking your precious time to make others aware of this deception! Love it!!

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
Margery Here Again: Just based on Lee's own writing here he is teaching an ancient heresy known as Modalism, or ONENESS. This is a CULT and it's not Christian. It is a type of Oneness teaching.

Modalism (Modalistic Monarchianism) (https://www.gotquestions.org/Modalistic-Monarchianism.html) - God is one person in three modes.

Modalism is probably the most common theological error concerning the nature of God. It is a denial of the Trinity. Modalism states that God is a single person who, throughout biblical history, has revealed Himself in three modes or forms. Thus, God is a single person who first manifested himself in the mode of the Father in Old Testament times. At the incarnation, the mode was the Son; and after Jesus' ascension, the mode is the Holy Spirit. These modes are consecutive and never simultaneous. In other words, this view states that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit never all exist at the same time--only one after another. Modalism denies the distinctiveness of the three persons in the Trinity even though it retains the divinity of Christ. Present-day groups that hold to forms of this Modalism: Oneness Pentecostals, the United Pentecostal and United Apostolic Churches. They deny the Trinity, teach that the name of God is Jesus, and require baptism for salvation. These Modalist churches often accuse Trinitarians of teaching three gods. This is not what the Trinity is. The correct teaching of the Trinity is one God in three eternal coexistent persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Groups that teach a form of Modalism: William Branham, Branhamites, United Pentecostals, and others associated with Oneness Pentecostalism who subscribe to the nontrinitarian theological doctrine of Oneness.

(Dynamic) Monarchianism (https://www.gotquestions.org/Dynamic-Monarchianism.html) - God is one person.

In the first centuries of the church, there was much debate about the nature of God: was Jesus fully God, fully man, or some mixture of the two? Does God exist as three co-eternal, co-equal Persons, or is He only one Person who manifests Himself in different modes at different times? What is the relationship between the Holy Spirit and the Father? Part of the debate in the second and third centuries involved a teaching known as Dynamic Monarchianism, a false view of Christ’s nature. Monarchianism taught the indivisible unity of God (the Latin word monarchia meant “single rule”). Of course, belief in one God is foundational to Christianity, but Monarchianism pressed monotheism to the point of denying God’s triune nature. Monarchianism inevitably leads to the false doctrine of Patripassianism, the teaching that God the Father suffered on the cross with (or as) the Son.

United Pentecostals, and others associated with Oneness Pentecostalism whom subscribe to the nontrinitarian theological doctrine of Oneness.
All of them taking a page from the false teachers of the 2nd and 3rd centuries--teachers that had to be exposed as wrong and were disciplined for it. The Council of Nicea, AD 325, Constantinople, AD 381, Ephesus, AD 431, and Chalcedon, AD 481, put the false teachers to task, including Arianism which is widely held by Jehovah Witnesses today, the ism's you quote, trinitarianism, and many others.

athenasius

I wonder if ole Hanky boy, :puke oops, that accidentally splattered on his website, did an about face because they were being sued?
I think that’s right, and I think it is also why some discernment ministries have been silenced regarding this group. The Witness Lee group is as lawsuit happy as Scientology who have ALSO used the courts to silence opposition and intimidate their critics.

Dave_97

Very very bad group actually. I haven't heard of them for years, but I remember back when there were quite a few Discernment groups operating in the 90's, that this was one that concentrated on recruiting on campuses. I did a quick look to see what they've been up to lately and here you go:

http://www.letusreason.org/Cult12.htm said this QUOTING directly from Witness Lee to prove what he was teaching-- everyone reading this who isn't aware, the title "The Local Church" is the group that follows Witness Lee-- it is the title of their group and here you see his teaching that only people in HIS group have "the light". That is CLASSIC CULT behaviour and teaching:

The local Church (Witness Lee)- When we were in the denominations, we were blind. I do not believe that any dear Christians who have really received sight from the Lord could still remain in the denominations. Everyone who sees must leave the fold and enter the pasture, under the sunshine, in the fresh air, in liberty. Where are you now? Are you in the fold, or are you now in the pasture? Allow me to say this: if anyone is still in the fold, he is blind. Of course, a blind person requires the fold to keep him. But when he receives his sight, he will swiftly leave the fold for the pasture, for the sunshine, for the fresh air.” (Witness Lee, Christ Versus Religion LSM, 197,1 p.109-110)

The only way to follow the Lord absolutely is to go the way of the local church. (Witness Lee, The Practical Expression...p.94)

If you leave the church (the Local Church), you miss the mark of the Lord's testimony. You must be in the testimony of Jesus. Only the golden lampstands, the local churches, are the testimony of Jesus....if you are not in the local churches you are not the testimony of Jesus.”( Witness Lee, The Stream magazine Nov. 1976, p.7)

Living Stream and Witness Lee's church "the Local Church" organization launched a series of lawsuits, against their accusers-- who actually did have good reason to call him and his group a cult, but it makes it harder to fight because the information is missing with the exception of a few people who continue to contend for the faith.

Dr Ron Rhodes and Dr Geisler had a paper on their concerns with the way CRI under Hank Hanegraaf, stopped calling it a cult. It's a PDF found here:
Here is probably one of the best point by point critiques of Witness Lee's teaching: https://contrast2.wordpress.com/201...witness-lee-and-the-living-stream-ministries/

and that author agrees with Dr Rhodes and Dr Geisler but he goes POINT BY POINT. I will include some excerpts but I HIGHLY recommend you read the whole article. KEEP IN MIND the author of the article is a Calvinist Baptist so he has some other problems going on even now. I will bold the bits that should stand out to you:

"Witness Lee was born in China in 1905. He moved to the United States in 1962. Lee claimed to be an apostle who was leading and fulfilling “The Lord’s Recovery” of the church prophesied in books of the Old Testament like Nehemiah. He established the “Local Churches” by teaching that there should only be one church per city and to call a church anything other than “The Church in [Anaheim]” is fornication with the whore of Babylon."

Margery speaking in here,
if this sounds like the NAR movement, it is. This guy like Peter Wagner, claims to be a modern day apostle, and people who don't follow his lead are in "fornication with the whore of Babylon" back to article.

"The Christian Research Institute condemned Lee’s teachings in the late 70s. In 1977 E. Calvin Beisner co-authored an article for CRI The Teachings of Witness Lee and the Local Church. You can hear a lecture by Walter Martin (the original Bible Answer Man who founded CRI in 1960) delivered sometime in the 70s here http://server.firefighters.org/18000/18110.mp3 where he clearly lays out the heresies of Witness Lee and the Local Churches. There was also an open letter published online several years ago An Open Letter To the Leadership of Living Stream Ministry and the “Local Churches” signed by numerous apologists and Christian theologians.

My Encounter

Members of the Local Churches, also known as Living Stream Ministries, are very active on college campuses. A friend of mine ran into them several times at Cal State Fullerton. She went to one of their meetings and eventually had a few of the members meet with her, myself, my wife, and another friend of ours several times over the last few months to hear them explain their beliefs. The goal was to understand what they believe and then determine if they were a Christian group or not.

Much of what you may find online for and against the group can perhaps be a bit confusing and maybe even a little abstract. My friend considered the possibility that it may all be the result of a language barrier between us and Lee’s original writings. However, these meetings, along with further study of their writings, have made it very, very clear what these people believe – and it is not Christian at all. I’m writing this to give you an overview of what exactly the group teaches and how it is heretical. My goal is to teach you what the LSM Statement of Faith should teach you, if they were honest. I have not come across anything that summarizes the issue in this way, so I hope this may be of help rather than just spilling more ink on what has already been said.

Margery here again, here is what is involved regarding the Trinity, a CORE doctrine of Christianity:

Lee clarified what he meant by triune. He meant three-one, not three-in-one. And, to make sure people did not misunderstand him, he said he was teaching something different than the “traditional” understanding of the Trinity:

These quotes are both found in the Open Letter. The people I met with gave me a binder full of Lee’s writings that corresponded to the quotes in the Open Letter. Their intent was to show me the whole context of the quotes. I’m not certain what they thought that would prove however, since none of the quotes were taken out of context. The context only worsened what Lee was communicating."

Thank you for the in depth reply. I just noticed people commented on here today. I clicked the link you sent by Ron Rhodes and Normal Geisler. I was reading it earlier and will have to sit down and finish it (due to the heavy analysis). Ron Rhodes arguments are very sound and I need to learn from his apologetics. I have known Geisler cause my dad likes him, but I stumbled upon Ron Rhodes when I was researching on how to help Catholics come to faith. I didn't know he also had an encounter with the movement of Witness Lee.

To be honest, I wouldn't give myself credit in terms of discernment as much. All credit goes to the Holy Spirit. I was so young in my faith (though on fire for God). Something about the organization of Witness Lee seemed off but I couldn't put my finger on it. I did ask God to show me if something is wrong, and that is exactly what he did. When I learned their teaching of the Trinity was wrong, it was hard to explain it to them because they've had previous experience with people who challenged them. However, I knew that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were three distinct persons yet one God. The gospel of John made this clear to me, but the person I met in this organization found a way to explain it differently (modalistic way). The final straw was when he told me we needed to get "saved more". That is when I made the decision to leave. What more could possibly be done other than what Christ did on the cross? Jesus declared "It is finished", so we leave it at that.

Also I know some of us can agree/disagree on bible versions. However, it's a little weird when a large group of Christians mainly use one specific bible translation. To make matters worse more than half of this bible translation is filled with footnotes. Basically, when you read their version of the bible you are learning from the perspective of Witness Lee, not the Holy Spirit. Instead of letting the Spirit of God teach you his truth in scripture, you are letting a man teaching you. The result of this is that even if this man is wrong, they won't believe it. Holding a human to almost an infallible state never ends well. My dad told me that the harsh truth is that people who have been in these organizations for too long can be brainwashed. Debating won't get you anywhere because they are using the same words of scripture but their teacher (such as Witness Lee) has put different meanings on those words. As you mentioned in this forum, I later also realize there is a lot of similar organizations that claim to have the "light" or in the "new reformation" movement. I was more cautious after this experience. Next time I'll have to be on alert for any organizations that claims to hold the name of Christ.

Anyways I'll sit down this weekend and read the article thoroughly, but thanks for the reply.

Last edited: