With epic World Cup final, has Qatar helped its reputation? - analysis

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
With epic World Cup final, has Qatar helped its reputation? - analysis
While the West talks about democracy, it often outsources its security to regimes like Ankara. This is why Qatar, Pakistan and many other regimes are key Western partners
By SETH J. FRANTZMAN
Published: DECEMBER 19, 2022

The epic final of the World Cup between Argentina and France has prompted claims that this was one of the best World Cup finals in recent memory. The Qatari hosts appear to have regained some of the spotlight that was marred by how the event came about.

Even France obliged. On Thursday, an article at Agence France-Presse noted, “President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday stood by his decision to travel to Qatar to support France’s World Cup team, despite allegations linking the Gulf monarchy to corruption in the European Parliament.”

The turnout and enthusiasm for the final match showed that while many threatened to boycott the World Cup, the beautiful game brought them back.

more............... https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/article-725280

Hidden

What do you think about this article @Hidden since you were actually in Qatar when this happened?

Sorry for the late reply. I've been trying to make up for lack of sleep during the tournament where I spent time watching games and going out with friends for almost a month.

Well, I did enjoy the tournament and the vibe during WC. In fact I'm missing it already. But it's got more to do with the fans and tourists that livened up the atmosphere. IMO, there was too much government control which bordered on paranoia. Too many barricades, many portions of the city were closed, and everybody travelled by metro it felt like tourists and residents were herded en masse to certain places only. I think if it were both an endeavor between the government and private business, it would have been more authentic and a lot of more interesting. Not that it isn't interesting already, because I think all things considered it was somehow a success. But a little less government control I think would have made it an absolute smash.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Sorry for the late reply. I've been trying to make up for lack of sleep during the tournament where I spent time watching games and going out with friends for almost a month.

Well, I did enjoy the tournament and the vibe during WC. In fact I'm missing it already. But it's got more to do with the fans and tourists that livened up the atmosphere. IMO, there was too much government control which bordered on paranoia. Too many barricades, many portions of the city were closed, and everybody travelled by metro it felt like tourists and residents were herded en masse to certain places only. I think if it were both an endeavor between the government and private business, it would have been more authentic and a lot of more interesting. Not that it isn't interesting already, because I think all things considered it was somehow a success. But a little less government control I think would have made it an absolute smash.

No dramas at all, good to see you were able to get home safely

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun

And the most important question of all, did you manage to get a photo op with salt bae ROL

Back