Wisdom vs. Intelligence

Jonathan

I have asked a question very similar to this in a slightly different form, but it is still one I don't feel I have a proper understanding of an answer to. Using the Bible as much as possible, what is the Biblical difference (if any (and I assume there is)) between Wisdom and Intelligence?

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and God dispenses wisdom to any believer who asks, for one.

James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
Wisdom, knowledge, and understanding. Having the information and knowing the data is knowledge. Understanding is being able to use and apply the data/information. Finally, wisdom is knowing when and under what circumstance to use the knowledge and understanding that you have.

God's word separates knowledge, understanding, and wisdom as different. The world lumps them all into the same thing. You need knowledge to gain understanding and you need understanding to gain wisdom. All are a gift from God.

How many times have we met a worldly person who is full of knowledge but has little understanding or wisdom? The term "book smart" comes to mind.

It is important to understand that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Psalms, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes speak extensively about this.

1 My son, if you receive my words, And treasure my commands within you,
2 So that you incline your ear to wisdom, [And] apply your heart to understanding;
3 Yes, if you cry out for discernment, [And] lift up your voice for understanding,
4 If you seek her as silver, And search for her as [for] hidden treasures;
5 Then you will understand the fear of the LORD, And find the knowledge of God.
6 For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth [come] knowledge and understanding; [Pro 2:1-6 NKJV]

2 A fool has no delight in understanding, But in expressing his own heart. [Pro 18:2 NKJV]

25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. [1Co 1:25 NKJV]

Last edited:
Back