Windows 11 is Here!

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Microsoft Corp released Windows 11 yesterday. I've installed it on the laptop I'm working from at the moment. The first noticeable changes are the taskbar is a little bit wider if you had previously chosen small icons for the taskbar, and the start button default location is moved to the middle of the taskbar. After installing Windows 11 on this laptop, the first thing I did was move the start button back to the left corner where it belongs...

If you have a PC that meets the Windows 11 requirements, you can either wait for MS to make it available as an update to you or you can begin the process yourself. First to verify that your PC is compatible with Windows 11, download the Microsoft PC Health Check App and run that. It'll let you know if the PC is compatible with Windows 11. You'll find a link to download that app here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11#pchealthcheck

If the Health Check App says you're Windows 11 compatible, you can go to this page https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...d=_2hesajx369kf6xz9sap6wurx6u2xr6xzkxog29uq00
and choose one of three ways to do the install. Most will probably want to choose the Windows 11 Installation Assistant method. If you do choose that method, after you've downloaded the Installation Assistant, and you're ready to do the upgrade, right click on that apps icon and choose to run it in Administrator mode. You're less likely to have any problems if you run it in Administrator mode and you're very likely to have the install hang up for lack of sufficient privileges if you don't run it in Administrator mode.

Carl

Is the media still functional? Do you have a drive to accept the media? A computer that will accept its installation? A curious mind wants to know.
It is the original 3.5" diskettes. They are in the original box. I will check and see what is with them. I think originally it was installed on and old 386 or 486 machine.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
It is the original 3.5" diskettes. They are in the original box. I will check and see what is with them. I think originally it was installed on and old 386 or 486 machine.

It would be fun to see if you could install it onto a computer. I was glad when we moved to CDs for media because the files stored on CDs seemed a lot more stable.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
But it works on Windows 10. So I think I'm going to stay with 10 ... now that I've got the kinks worked out. That and the fact that I don't feel inclined to add a TPM to my mobo and update my BIOS to add a secure boot function just did I can run Win 11.

So far, everything I'm noticing is just cosmetic and definitely not an improvement. It's interesting how software companies feel they have to change something that people are used to and accept. When Microsoft came out with the ribbon I thought that was a horrible idea. Years later I still think it's a horrible idea and am thankful that not all software companies followed suit.

The stuff that's not just cosmetic isn't noticed, at least so far. I don't plan to force installs on any of my older Windows 10 machines... originally I thought I might but now that I've seen the new interface and crawled around it a little bit I prefer Windows 10. Newer PCs in our house will get Windows 11 for security reasons if nothing else. MS will continue to support Windows 10 for I don't know how long, but I figure a company will always support it's flagship product first.

JSTyler

video production
What tools do you use? I'm always very curious and looking for anything useful to add to my arsenal. Right now I'm partial to Wondershare Filmora X and to a lesser degree Hitfilm Express. I use Inkscape and GNU for graphics and a little Blender for animation, but that one has a steep learning curve.

book editing
Same question. What do you use, if you don't mind sharing?

Also, if you ever need freshly composed, royalty free music or background atmosphere for any of your video productions, just shoot me an email and I'll try and create what you need. I need pressure...it's the perfect lubrication for creation more often than not.

GIMME A TIMELINE ;)

GEOINTAnalyst

Your computer needs TMP 2.0 if your machine has TPM 1or 1.1 or 1.2 or 1.4 TPM = (Trusted Platform Module) Windows 11 will not run. The TPM is a security chip that acts as a place to store all certification, authentication, and encryption keys. It is not a new thing, TPM original standard was 1 that replaced by TPM 2.0 in 2014, however, as the latter is not backward compatible thus even if you have TPM 1.4 you would not be able to run Windows 11 on your system. But not all computer manufacturers put TPM 2.0 in their machines when it came out back in 2014, but there is a "hack" if you want to due a "Clean Install" of Windows 11 on a non-2.0 TMP computer - see my post here - https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/tpm-2-0-requirement-and-install-windows-11.182351/
To check your TPM
For that press Win key + R
This will open the RUN box
Now, type- tpm.msc in the box and hit the Enter key.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
On my old laptop the tool that checks for compatibility for Windows 11 said it had everything needed, including TMP 2, but it didn't like the processor which was a high end 7th gen i7. I could force an install but there's a question as to whether or not Microsoft will update computers with Windows 11 that had it installed that way. Guess I'd prefer to keep Windows 10 on the older machines as Windows 10 should still be supported for a long while.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Till 2025, according to Microsoft.

That should be long enough for us here. I don't use what used to be my primary desktop computer anymore. I do have a desktop that has movies stored on it connected to a tv monitor so I can watch movies that are stored on the desktop. That's the only one here that might still be in use by 2025. One of my daughters who works out of the house uses a desktop and two laptops simultaneously during her work shift. If she wants a desktop she might need to replace it by then... Don't think I'll ever purchase or build another desktop.

Microsoft has been known to extend support as those end dates get close, but I guess we'll see in this case.

GEOINTAnalyst

I thought I would throw in on How TPM works in Linux for the curious geek
In Linux to verify that your kernel can see the TPM module correctly. One way to do that (after your system has just booted) is by checking your /var/log/messages or using dmesg like this:
dmesg | grep -i tpm
If the kernel can’t see the TPM module OR if the TPM module is not installed or present then you’ll get a message similar to this one:
ima: No TPM chip found, activating TPM-bypass!
So Linux does not care if you have a TPM or not - the above check should display your tpm module release, something similar to the following string: The below two lines are from my personal laptop

[ 0.008959] ACPI: TPM2 0x000000008AEF1000 000034 (v03 ACRSYS ACRPRDCT 00000000 1025 00040000)
[ 0.008995] ACPI: Reserving TPM2 table memory at [mem 0x8aef1000-0x8aef1033]

Configuring the required services to control the TPM 2.0 Module
First off check if the tpm2-abrmd daemon is installed and it’s up and running:
systemctl status tpm2-abrmd

If you can’t find tpm2-abrmd you can install it via: On Debian, or Ubuntu based systems
sudo apt install tpm2-abrmd
If tpm2-abrmd is installed, but not running then you can run it via:
sudo systemctl start tpm2-abrmd
When it starts then you can make sure it will start at every system reboot via:
sudo systemctl enable tpm2-abrmd
At this point you can install all your tpm2-tools via: On Debian or Ubuntu based systems
sudo apt install tpm2-tools

After the installation is completed you’ll be ready to get ownership of your TPM module and start the fun

You cannot control your TPM as much on Windows via the shell as in Linux

Jonathan

Great. Just when I was getting used to a fairly stable OS, I now have to embrace a new, unstable OS and go through the whole experience again. Or at least that is my guess. Heck, I don't even know reasonably capable laptop can handle it.

Why don't they just leave well enough alone? I know... it's money. But still, in order to create a brand new product, they are now regressing.

I've seen videos in Windows 11, and it looks like the UI has been significantly dumbed down. I am not saying the power of Windows 11 is dumbed down, but just the UI..

Why is it that every time someone wants to make something EASIER and more USER FRIENDLY, the result is always the opposite? Or, at least the opposite for guys like me who, while not uber-experts, have been using Windows in one version or another since the early 90s.