Windows 10

Rez63

Has anyone heard about the Windows 10 launch? Supposed to be a free upgrade for anyone running Windows 7 or 8/8.1.
Any comments on this?
I have Windows 8. Did the upgrade to 8.1! I hate both.

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
I received the free Windows 10 upgrade notice and have discussed it with one person so far who does not recommend upgrading. I reserved my free upgrade and it is supposed to be available July 29 or thereabout. Between now and then, will attempt to determine if it is advisable to upgrade, or not. There is time to cancel my reservation, but would rather not cancel if it would be better than this Windows 7 Starter that I currently have.

Soooooooooo, I am glad you asked and I will follow this thread to see what our members suggest or recommend!

Rez63

Thanks Mary!!
I bought my laptop a few years ago with Windows 8 installed. It was ok..!? Then, on a whim, I upgraded to 8.1.
Big mistake!! I can't print anything ( I use WiFi at the library)
I lost my Dolby EQ etc, etc!! What a mess!! Im hoping Win 10 is better!!

Carl

I'm still running XP. No plans to change. The way I see it is that microsoft is just using the new windows products to make more money. They could be making an earlier version bullet proof, but choose not to.

Rez63

I'm still running XP. No plans to change. The way I see it is that microsoft is just using the new windows products to make more money. They could be making an earlier version bullet proof, but choose not to.
I wish I still had XP!!! It was, IMHO ( a non -tech guy) the best and easiest to operate! !!
I have had nothing but probs with 8/8.1!!!

billym

I'm sticking with version 7 too.

Tonight I found out that Windows 8+ is built for a touch screen, so if it's a desktop you get stuck.
I used Xperia for years and loved it but my son gave me a computer with win 7 pro on it and now I like it best, mainly cause it is similar to xp

Hol

Worships Him
I used Xperia for years and loved it but my son gave me a computer with win 7 pro on it and now I like it best, mainly cause it is similar to xp
Is Xperia an Apple platform? I now use an iPad for personal stuff, though on my work-horse computer at the office I use Windows 7. I am enjoying the iPad, it has a different feel, but very stable.

Joe B

If you have had an invite, I think it is a sound idea to accept and reserve your free upgrade and to download it at the release date. You will then have twelve months to decide if you want to actually go ahead and upgrade during which time you should be able to find out if there are any serious problems or things that you don't like about it from those who just can't wait to start using it!
Mary has given you a good link to their frequently asked questions page and you can also just search in Google.
Not sure how they decided on the free invites but if you have, via Windows Updates, downloaded KB3035583 then you should see a white windows icon appearing in your task tray that you can click to start the reserve process.
From initial readings it does seem that this just might be a good update as it appears that Microsoft have listened to the many complaints that were made by users of Win8?

By the way, Pixel Pusher, can't let you get away with that, as I feel sorry for all 'Apple' users:calvin

Hol

Worships Him
I feel so sorry for all you windows users.
Yeah, Windows software is built so differently. My first computer experience was on a Macintosh, next a PC with MS Dos, back to a Mac with InDesign, onto Windows with InDesign 4. My boss put his foot down when I wanted a Mac with InDesign 6, so I'm busy building databases (Access), and playing with pixels is a luxury.

Seems that Microsft has tried to resemble Apple, and that never was a good idea.

Do you use InDesign Pixelpusher?

Scotographer

χριστου δουλος
You can't just roll back. You would have to uninstall windows 10 and then reinstall windows 7. Which means that you must have a copy of windows 7.
ANd there is the crux. I am comfortable with what I have, I can make what I have do what I want when I want, all without blowing up or slogging down the speed of my computer. MS needs to really convince me that 10 is going to be several levels above 8.1.