Will we see Jesus before we are raptured? What about the those who are dead in Christ, will we see them?

amystery

I know it will happen in the twinkling of an eye, but will we see Jesus in the clouds before -or- as we are being raptured? Or, is His second coming when all those left behind in the tribulation when people will see him? I’ve always been confused about this, and I don’t think that it helps that many refer to the rapture as His second coming or skip over the rapture all together!

Also, since the dead in Christ will rise first, if we were literally at a gravesite as it happens, would we see someone come out of the grave right before we are raptured? Would it happen so fast that we wouldn’t have time to see them or could we possibly speak to them as they are ascending? I know that might seem silly, but I think that’s another interesting thing to think about!

Batfan7

I don't think there are firm Biblical answers to all your questions - just speculation. So here are my opinions.

I don't think we'll see Jesus before or during the Rapture. My view is that everything happens so fast that one second we're minding our own business, the next we're face to face with Jesus and we probably never consciously registered the transition before it's over. The only exception to this idea is that I think it's plausible that we hear Jesus say our name. But the same concept applies. Like, imagine you're engrossed in something and another person calls your name - you may look up before you consciously register that anyone said anything, and I think the Rapture will be like that.

And, along those same lines, I don't think there will actually be enough time between "the dead rise first" and our Rapture to make a difference. I think it'll be fractions of a second, not the minutes we'd need to see and realize what was happening between the two events. I'm also not terribly convinced that God will be snatching up old bodies from the dirt and floating them upward. I could be convinced that the old bodies vanish just like our living ones will, but God doesn't need those old corpses (if He did, what about the people who don't have a body left to get?), So it doubtful most people will notice anything wrong with the dead bodies unless you're actively viewing one (like a mortician or autopsy dr) as it vanishes.

One verse that supports my view is the one that says Jesus will "come quickly" (don't remember the address), but I do know that the word 'quickly' is referring to the speed of the action of event, not the speed of the arrival of the event. If that makes sense. It's saying that when Jesus comes, it'll happen very quickly, not that Jesus is Going to return soon (relative to when it was written - it's probably also now soon from our perspective).

My two cents.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
I don't think there are firm Biblical answers to all your questions - just speculation. So here are my opinions.

I don't think we'll see Jesus before or during the Rapture. My view is that everything happens so fast that one second we're minding our own business, the next we're face to face with Jesus and we probably never consciously registered the transition before it's over. The only exception to this idea is that I think it's plausible that we hear Jesus say our name. But the same concept applies. Like, imagine you're engrossed in something and another person calls your name - you may look up before you consciously register that anyone said anything, and I think the Rapture will be like that.

And, along those same lines, I don't think there will actually be enough time between "the dead rise first" and our Rapture to make a difference. I think it'll be fractions of a second, not the minutes we'd need to see and realize what was happening between the two events. I'm also not terribly convinced that God will be snatching up old bodies from the dirt and floating them upward. I could be convinced that the old bodies vanish just like our living ones will, but God doesn't need those old corpses (if He did, what about the people who don't have a body left to get?), So it doubtful most people will notice anything wrong with the dead bodies unless you're actively viewing one (like a mortician or autopsy dr) as it vanishes.

One verse that supports my view is the one that says Jesus will "come quickly" (don't remember the address), but I do know that the word 'quickly' is referring to the speed of the action of event, not the speed of the arrival of the event. If that makes sense. It's saying that when Jesus comes, it'll happen very quickly, not that Jesus is Going to return soon (relative to when it was written - it's probably also now soon from our perspective).

My two cents.
I like your :thumbup:thumbup analysis makes sense to me. Everything will happen faster than you can :woah imagine!

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
I'm also not terribly convinced that God will be snatching up old bodies from the dirt and floating them upward. I could be convinced that the old bodies vanish just like our living ones will, but God doesn't need those old corpses (if He did, what about the people who don't have a body left to get?), So it doubtful most people will notice anything wrong with the dead bodies unless you're actively viewing one (like a mortician or autopsy dr) as it vanishes.

During Jesus' resurrection, the graves of OT believers burst open as they were ressurected

Matthew 27:54 and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life.

So I don't see why the Church's resurrection would be any different. I also wonder if we will blow a hole in our ceilings as we go lol. If not, we better learn Jesus' ability to appear and disappear from places at will very quickly in case we are inside

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
(50) Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. (51) Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed-- (52) in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. (53) For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal [must] put on immortality. (54) So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory." (55) "O Death, where [is] your sting? O Hades, where [is] your victory?" (56) The sting of death [is] sin, and the strength of sin [is] the law. (57) But thanks [be] to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (58) Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord. [1 Corinthians 15:50-58 NKJV]

I think it all happens in the time it takes to blink? But from how this verse sounds, it sounds like it all happens at once. At the trumpet the dead are raised incorruptible, AND we are changed.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
(50) Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. (51) Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed-- (52) in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. (53) For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal [must] put on immortality. (54) So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory." (55) "O Death, where [is] your sting? O Hades, where [is] your victory?" (56) The sting of death [is] sin, and the strength of sin [is] the law. (57) But thanks [be] to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (58) Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord. [1 Corinthians 15:50-58 NKJV]

I think it all happens in the time it takes to blink? But from how this verse sounds, it sounds like it all happens at once. At the trumpet the dead are raised incorruptible, AND we are changed.

I read that verse to say we will be changed in the twinkling of an eye, not that the entire event will be that fast

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
I guess there is always this verse too?

(52) and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; (53) and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many. [Matthew 27:52-53 NKJV]

Maybe we will walk around for a while? LOL

amystery

It's all very exciting! And, as the scripture says, we will hear the last trumpet sound, so perhaps the trumpet sounding is the only thing we have time to comprehend before it happens! Will the whole world hear the trumpet, even those who are not going to be raptured? Can you imagine going through that and NOT being rapured, but left behind, not knowing what in the world just happened, let alone how the next 7 years will go? Wow, how terrible indeed!

Batfan7

I guess there is always this verse too?

(52) and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; (53) and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many. [Matthew 27:52-53 NKJV]

Maybe we will walk around for a while? LOL

I actually don't think this is a good comparison. Jesus resurrection is different than our Rapture. The dead were raised as witnesses to proclaim and celebrate Jesus triumph! And then they (presumably) died again since no one except Jesus currently has a new body. Since the dead at the Rapture are given new bodies, and I doubt they want to miss out on the celebration happening in Heaven, I don't think God will have some people raised in old bodies left to wander around down here.

A better analogy would be of Enoch (he didn't wander around for a while after God took him, nor does Scripture say anyone else was resurrected when this event took place. Same thing with Elijah. Although Elijah's departure was viewed by the "left behind", I'd still say that that was a special circumstance for Elisha, not an indication that the Left Behind for our Rapture will see us go.

However, the Bible has very little to say about any of these things and the examples are too few to be dogmatic about it. So imagine it however you'd like!

Andy C

During Jesus' resurrection, the graves of OT believers burst open as they were ressurected

Matthew 27:54 and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life.

So I don't see why the Church's resurrection would be any different. I also wonder if we will blow a hole in our ceilings as we go lol. If not, we better learn Jesus' ability to appear and disappear from places at will very quickly in case we are inside
When they were raised out of their tombs, they were seen by many as the went in to the city.

The church will be raptured up in flash, twinkling of an eye, then we are with Him.

Andy C

I actually don't think this is a good comparison. Jesus resurrection is different than our Rapture. The dead were raised as witnesses to proclaim and celebrate Jesus triumph! And then they (presumably) died again since no one except Jesus currently has a new body. Since the dead at the Rapture are given new bodies, and I doubt they want to miss out on the celebration happening in Heaven, I don't think God will have some people raised in old bodies left to wander around down here.

A better analogy would be of Enoch (he didn't wander around for a while after God took him, nor does Scripture say anyone else was resurrected when this event took place. Same thing with Elijah. Although Elijah's departure was viewed by the "left behind", I'd still say that that was a special circumstance for Elisha, not an indication that the Left Behind for our Rapture will see us go.

However, the Bible has very little to say about any of these things and the examples are too few to be dogmatic about it. So imagine it however you'd like!
Sorry, I was posting and mainly eating at the same time you posted.

townerka

I know it will happen in the twinkling of an eye, but will we see Jesus in the clouds before -or- as we are being raptured? Or, is His second coming when all those left behind in the tribulation when people will see him? I’ve always been confused about this, and I don’t think that it helps that many refer to the rapture as His second coming or skip over the rapture all together!

Also, since the dead in Christ will rise first, if we were literally at a gravesite as it happens, would we see someone come out of the grave right before we are raptured? Would it happen so fast that we wouldn’t have time to see them or could we possibly speak to them as they are ascending? I know that might seem silly, but I think that’s another interesting thing to think about!

I do think it will happen fast but I personally think we'll see it. In the beginning of Revelation Chapter 4 there's a picture of the rapture. John sees a door (Jesus is the door). It is just my humble opinion and I could definitely be wrong.

4 After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this.”

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
I do think it will happen fast but I personally think we'll see it. In the beginning of Revelation Chapter 4 there's a picture of the rapture. John sees a door (Jesus is the door). It is just my humble opinion and I could definitely be wrong.

4 After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this.”

The Church members in Philidelphia are also promised an open door no one can close

Back