Will there be levels in hell?

yrrek

These people are springs without water and mists driven by a storm. Blackest darkness is reserved for them. 2 Peter 2:17

They are wild waves of the sea, foaming up their shame; wandering stars, for whom blackest darkness has been reserved forever. Jude 1:13

When I first read the question these two first came to mind. Idk of this indicates levels of hell but it makes me wonder if there is a place in hell that’s slightly less dark.

Neonap

I personally believe that God is fair and Just, so He will judge everyone who isn't saved individually by how they lived their lives. Someone who was a brutal serial killer will probably face much more of a harsher judgement than your average person on the street. Both probably won't suffer in the same way.

Hell is horrible and horrific, so it's not a pleasant place for the serial killer or the average person. I could be wrong though.

JSTyler

- Complete isolation from God, with clear knowledge of who He is.
- Absolute darkness.
- Eternal Isolation.
- A feeling of always falling.
- Five senses but nothing to stimulate them besides pain.
- A worm that eternally consumes your flesh.
- Understanding that this moment is forever, no grasp of what forever is.
- Likely, every memory from your life as a damning companion.

I wonder how that list can be worse? Maybe the inability to go insane? Add a rational understanding with no escape from knowing ones self...

And yet there are people I know and love that actually use the above list as an "indictment" of God and an excuse to curse and deny Him, "'cuz, how could a loving God do that to a good person?" and "I don't want to spend time in the presence of a God like that!"

:loco

annieforjesus

I think that God is going to hold some people more accountable for their sins in Hell..just remembering what Jesus said about Bethsaeda and Chorazin, I think it was......JSTyler, your last sentence reminded me of a time many years ago, I was trying to explain trusting Jesus for salvation to a young professional lady who was very liberal..I was stopped cold when she asked me...So, you're saying that if Hitler trusted in Christ before he died, he could have gone to heaven?..I said. Yes...she immediately replied, Then I don't want to go there...I still remember that after 30 years..

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Complete isolation from God, with clear knowledge of who He is.

I used to think this was a characteristic of the afterlife for nonbelievers, but Rev. 14 makes me think otherwise because of the way it describes the lake of fire:

9 A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: “If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives its mark on their forehead or on their hand, 10 they, too, will drink the wine of God’s fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment will rise for ever and ever. There will be no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and its image, or for anyone who receives the mark of its name.”

NewWine2020

- Complete isolation from God, with clear knowledge of who He is.
- Absolute darkness.
- Eternal Isolation.
- A feeling of always falling.
- Five senses but nothing to stimulate them besides pain.
- A worm that eternally consumes your flesh.
- Understanding that this moment is forever, no grasp of what forever is.
- Likely, every memory from your life as a damning companion.

I wonder how that list can be worse? Maybe the inability to go insane? Add a rational understanding with no escape from knowing ones self...

And yet there are people I know and love that actually use the above list as an "indictment" of God and an excuse to curse and deny Him, "'cuz, how could a loving God do that to a good person?" and "I don't want to spend time in the presence of a God like that!"

:loco

In a way, I suppose I am actually grateful to God because While I've never committed a felony or anything heinous that "normal society" would rally against, I have never, at any point had any trouble in NOT seeing myself as a hopeless sinner. I grew up with a conscious awareness beyond my years that I 100% was a bad hearted and selfish person that deserved God's wrath.

And I really could not tell you where that came from...I certainly did not get it from my parents or the Church. I'm forever thankful for God's mercy , that he would want to save a hard hearted, hateful-tempered (inside, never outside where the world can see) person like myself.

NewWine2020

I think that God is going to hold some people more accountable for their sins in Hell..just remembering what Jesus said about Bethsaeda and Chorazin, I think it was......JSTyler, your last sentence reminded me of a time many years ago, I was trying to explain trusting Jesus for salvation to a young professional lady who was very liberal..I was stopped cold when she asked me...So, you're saying that if Hitler trusted in Christ before he died, he could have gone to heaven?..I said. Yes...she immediately replied, Then I don't want to go there...I still remember that after 30 years..

That is so 1) heartbreaking and 2) 100% understandably human due to our fallen nature this side of Paradise.

It reminds me so much of a Christian graphic novel I read this year called the "Lamb and the Fuhrer" that explores The post death conversation and life review of Adolf Hitler with Jesus. Yes, even he could be saved, as unfair as we humans who insist on "gradations of badness" for each other would see it. God however is black/white, Yes/no, pass/fail.

In the novelization Hitler is actually almost saved as he follows Christ thru the darkness which is growing deeper and blacker behind him, specters of the dead reaching out and trying accost him, trying to refuse him passage but he preservers though Jesus is growing distant, moving quickly with the admonition to ignore the frightening stuff and keep his eyes fixed firmly on Jesus...and then Hitler is accosted by the specter of his arch nemesis, Joseph Stalin after which Hitler asks if it's possible that Stalin could be redeemed as well...

...When Hitler hears Jesus answer that yes, it IS very possible and that Stalin too will have his own face to face with Christ Hitler finds this absolutely unanccaeptable....and in his prideful arrogance with the unwillingness to grant the forgiveness he himself has received he immediately falls down into the darkness of hell.

It's fictional obviously, but it really made me think about how damaging unforgiveness is not just in this world but the next.

JSTyler

I used to think this was a characteristic of the afterlife for nonbelievers, but Rev. 14 makes me think otherwise because of the way it describes the lake of fire:

9 A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: “If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives its mark on their forehead or on their hand, 10 they, too, will drink the wine of God’s fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. They will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment will rise for ever and ever. There will be no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and its image, or for anyone who receives the mark of its name.”
I wonder if that would/will resemble the same circumstances Christ experienced when He hung on the cross and asked God the Father, "Why have You forsaken me."?

The God that was there but not there.

Horrifying, and we don't even have to imagine that.