Will Hell/The lake of fire be the same for everyone?

haha... I think it will be Archangel Michael playing garbage-man that day. But, wouldn't it be something if God wanted to humiliate Satan further, and called some random guy or girl to Him, pointed to Satan and told that person, "Go! Fight to the finish!" Then musses their hair and kisses their forehead and says, "The blessing is upon you!" And when they fight, Satan is horrified to discover that that person is superior to him in every way....
That would be something. But truth be told....

I'd love to see the Lord Jesus kick the smarm right out of ol' Splithoof's ego!

Neonap

In the Lake of Fire, I don't think there will be any another sapient person who receives a greater punishment than Satan. The angel formerly known as Lucifer, I believe, will bear the greatest and most painful judgment of all, bar none. Second to him would probably be his inner circle of fallen angels, and after them all the other unclean spirits.

Among the humans, I think you could make a case for Antichrist Superstar and the False Prophet being the co-valedictorians of the wicked. Along with them, receiving a slightly lesser degree of punishment would be all the mass-murdering dictators. The people that would receive the lightest sentence (perhaps the fire is just burning but not nuclear) would most likely be those who lived moral, upgright lives but never had time for God or just outrightly rejected any form of "religion".

I agree with this, although God is a holy God and all deserve hell, I think that God is just and fair. I can't see someone who is a "good" person who lived a morally upright life suffering in the same way as the devil who is way worse than any wicked human who has ever lived. I think that there will be levels of torment, and the like for each and every Individual.

Lovin Jesus

In the Lake of Fire, I don't think there will be any another sapient person who receives a greater punishment than Satan. The angel formerly known as Lucifer, I believe, will bear the greatest and most painful judgment of all, bar none. Second to him would probably be his inner circle of fallen angels, and after them all the other unclean spirits.

Among the humans, I think you could make a case for Antichrist Superstar and the False Prophet being the co-valedictorians of the wicked. Along with them, receiving a slightly lesser degree of punishment would be all the mass-murdering dictators. The people that would receive the lightest sentence (perhaps the fire is just burning but not nuclear) would most likely be those who lived moral, upgright lives but never had time for God or just outrightly rejected any form of "religion".
It is right for Satan to receive the worst of punishment because he instigated the fall of man and brought a sentence of destruction upon 1/3 of the angels of heaven. He turned on God and tried to turn all of creation against God. His name defines him well, devil which means adversary, and Satan which means accuser or slanderer. There was no evil until satan rebelled against God. satan is the originator of sin which causes separation from God who is Holy.

usoutpost31

When it comes to Satan, I suspect the most satisfying thing is to see him, the most grievous slanderer, blasphemer, accuser of all, bow the knee and make the confession of Revelation 5:13.

“To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
be praise and honor and glory and power,
for ever and ever!”

Andy C

The Holy Spirit convicts the unbelievers of their sin of unbelief. If person dies, and upon their last breath, they still do not believe in Jesus, they have been convicted. I have a hard time believing that anyone elses sins can be worse than that, or will be punished worse, or less based on how bad of a sinner they were.

Believers do not recieve different levels of joyous living in Heaven based on how well they lived after being saved, or who sinned the least. If believers are not treated differently in Heaven based on their earthly actions, why would it be different for those in hell? Either you believe or not, eternity is set on what awaits each person. Hell is only described in the bible as a place of eternal torment.

This is not a discussion where I believe Im 100 percent right, but Im confidant my views line up with scripture. I will admit its a subject I wish I were wrong about, and that some of my departed relatives or friends are not suffering as bad as others.

John 16:
8 When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment:

9 about sin, because people do not believe in me;

10 about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer;

11 and about judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

12 “I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear.

13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come

yrrek

2 Peter 2:17 talks about a variety of sins and it seems the punishment is the same for them all. I imagine it will even more tormenting to those who were soooo close but rejected Jesus. I think of Mahatma Gandhi who was presented with the gospel but rejected it. He did a lot of good things when alive but without Jesus he’s in torment. I think about all the popes in history that used Jesus as a weapon. The people like Hitler know they deserve it but the ones who are good in a worldly view of what is good is probably not getting it. There are tons of Amish in my area. They had a different belief system that is based on works. Tons of Amish are “good” people but their faith isn’t based on Jesus. It’s so sad.

townerka

I've always thought the worst thing about hell will not be the torment (although that's pretty terrible), it's the fact that those in hell will literally have no hope. Think about it for a second, we wake up everyday hoping for a better tomorrow no matter how bad today is. Think about losing your hope and how awful that would be, their hearts will literally melt knowing it will never get any better. I have always felt that's a far worse punishment.

Andy C

I've always thought the worst thing about hell will not be the torment (although that's pretty terrible), it's the fact that those in hell will literally have no hope. Think about it for a second, we wake up everyday hoping for a better tomorrow no matter how bad today is. Think about losing your hope and how awful that would be, their hearts will literally melt knowing it will never get any better. I have always felt that's a far worse punishment.
Mentally, it would be tough beyond our comprehension.

When we get in trouble no, in all situations, it will eventually get better. It may take a long time, money, or even time in jail, but eventually, it will pass.
The thought of knowing nothing will ever change, no hope for a better day, no hope period...words can not properly describe how it will be.

The elevator going up still has room, no need for anyone to suffer, just believe in Him.

Neonap

I think what will be worse than the pain, the torment, or the loss of hope is the horrific reality of no God. That's beyond our understanding or comprehension. Everyone on this earth has at least One blessing that God gives, whether it's family or what have you. But in hell, the goodness of God is gone forever. Hell is an unending nightmare which never stops.

Dave

I think what will be worse than the pain, the torment, or the loss of hope is the horrific reality of no God. That's beyond our understanding or comprehension. Everyone on this earth has at least One blessing that God gives, whether it's family or what have you. But in hell, the goodness of God is gone forever. Hell is an unending nightmare which never stops.

Amen to that. I am glad that we don't have to depend on our works to earn us a place in Heaven. Our Lord and Savior done that for us and its a gift for accepting him.

JamesSuth

Yes, even people who deny there is a God have some blessing from the fact of who God is and what He has given to humanity. People often have food, often some enjoyment in life, everyone benefits from the sun, the rain, oxygen to breathe. Non believers like to speak about times when others show unusual kindness, and point to the goodness of people - but that ultimately comes from God. In hell there will be no good thing, no good person, no company of other people. They will know that God exists, and who he is but He will not be there. They will be entirely alone. You are so right, it will be an unending nightmare which never stops.

Rocky R.

Yep, just take a look at the Rich Man & Lazarus story. Jesus didn't even mention the former rich man's name because in eternity, from that man's standpoint, there are no new names, not even the old ones. There is nothing to distinguish him from any one else. In fact, there's no one else at all.

In Hell, people retain all their needs and desires without hope of fulfillment for any. Hunger without food to satisfy it, thirst without water to quench it, loneliness without company to alleviate it, and a setting of constant nothingness going nowhere. No opening scene, no developing plot, no conflict, no resolution -- just absolute, total boredom. Yes, the absence of hope is one of the most awful things about Hell. People in solitary confinement go crazy after just a few hours, but there is still hope. How can a single human soul live like that in Hell (with no hope) for a day, or an eternal night? The tedium would crush them within minutes, but what would a million years of tedium do to them?

Also, the ever-present God whom they rejected will not manifest any of His attributes in Hell -- except His anger. God is omnipresent, so He cannot be totally absent in Hell. Therefore, those incarcerated in Hell are still in His presence -- but it is NOT a blessed Presence. Imagine that -- no love from the Almighty any more, just anger! That is the most awful thing, being cut off completely from the love of God. Persecuted believers on Earth, and even non-believers who suffer still experience God's love and grace. It would be absolute devastation to a soul, whether human or angel, to be completely disowned and cut off from God's love. They have moved from the era of opportunity to the era of consequence.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
I often have thoughts about this. I think the deeper parts of hell will be worse, I agree that is probably where Satan and the false prophet will call their permanent home. :diablo :devilish :diablo :devilish

I think the flesh/soul and "our need" (pride?) to justify things through human wisdom is a big part as to why we humans like to think about things like this.

In the end we know God will judge perfectly and righteously. I have a little bit of an imagination since childhood, so I need to be careful to cast it down and put every thought into obedience of Chirst. This part of the flesh/soul can sometimes become the Devil's playground.

Back