Will Hell/The lake of fire be the same for everyone?

Neonap

Hello everyone, God bless you all. I've been wondering about hell and how horrific it will be for those who die unsaved. I remember coming across a horrific serial killer who killed 56 people ( most of them children) Andrei Chikatilo. Wicked men such as these who with their free will choose to leaving nothing but destruction in their wake, I can somewhat understand the justice of eternal hell. But what about those who live decent lives here on earth? For example, a mother Teresa type figure?

Will the punishments or degrees of horror be different for every soul or will all suffer the same despite how each and every Individual lived? Going from scripture, the description of hell is beyond horrific and absolutely unpleasant. It's truly beyond our understanding, and yet it bothers me to think that everyone who dies unsaved will receive the same punishment.

What are your guys thoughts?

ByGod'sGrace

under His wings - Psalm 91:4
Hello everyone, God bless you all. I've been wondering about hell and how horrific it will be for those who die unsaved. I remember coming across a horrific serial killer who killed 56 people ( most of them children) Andrei Chikatilo. Wicked men such as these who with their free will choose to leaving nothing but destruction in their wake, I can somewhat understand the justice of eternal hell. But what about those who live decent lives here on earth? For example, a mother Teresa type figure?

Will the punishments or degrees of horror be different for every soul or will all suffer the same despite how each and every Individual lived? Going from scripture, the description of hell is beyond horrific and absolutely unpleasant. It's truly beyond our understanding, and yet it bothers me to think that everyone who dies unsaved will receive the same punishment.

Personally, I have my own thoughts on this, but I think this verse in Revelation is telling:

Revelation 20:11–15, everyone is judged “according to what they had done as recorded in the books”. But these are only people headed to hell/lake of fire. So, maybe that means it determines the severity of their punishment in hell? Eternal separation from God is punishment enough, but I'd imagine Hitler or scientists who murder babies will have a much worse punishment than a regular person just trying to live a "good" life and don't accept Jesus as his/her savior.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Personally, I have my own thoughts on this, but I think this verse in Revelation is telling:

Revelation 20:11–15, everyone is judged “according to what they had done as recorded in the books”. But these are only people headed to hell/lake of fire. So, maybe that means it determines the severity of their punishment in hell? Eternal separation from God is punishment enough, but I'd imagine Hitler or scientists who murder babies will have a much worse punishment than a regular person just trying to live a "good" life and don't accept Jesus as his/her savior.
I agree it sounds like it depends upon the person's level of punishment how they will be judged.

Andy C

I think the wording in that verse means they will be judged upon what they did, as in did they believe or not.

I dont believe any scripture supports a lesser degree of punishment. Hell is described many times in the bible, but I cant recall a single time where it is described as tolerable. No, its always described as never ending suffering.

IMO, believing some will not be punished as hard as others is our way of trying to accept, or live with the hope our departed loved ones are not suffering as bad as other unbelievers who were ”really” bad. I know, this is a hard subject to address, but it does cause me to push even harder to help loved ones believe now, while they still can.

Lovin Jesus

I agree with Mellie and Jen. Revelation does say the judgement of the unsaved will be according to what they have done, according to what is written in the books. Revelation 20:12. IMO it is internal torment for being unrepentant and rejecting God and Jesus that will be far worse than what may be experienced externally.
edit to add: And the torment will be eternal, without end. Terrible choice many have made

Lovin Jesus

What is internal punishment? Is eternal internal punishment mentioned anywhere in the bible?
I go by what is defined in the word torment. Along with the physical suffering and pain, they will feel mental suffering and pain. There is no scripture referring to internal but the very definition of torment says a lot as to what those who go to hell will experience. I think mental is internal. If anyone disagrees that is fine. Mental anguish can be worse than physical anguish.

usoutpost31

The way I see it is that Christ bore the weight of our sins at Calvary. Those who reject him must bear the weight of their own sins.

Because individuals in Hell are in a conscious state who apparently retain their personalities and memories of life on earth (Luke 16:25-28); I do think of a subjective experience. "Weeping and gnashing of teeth" suggests regret; they must remember the things they did and all the times they rejected the Gospel.

If this is the case, some in Hell may be more tormented than others.

Rocky R.

Luke 12:47-47 says, "And that servant who knew his master’s will, and did not prepare himself or do according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he who did not know, yet committed things deserving of stripes, shall be beaten with few. For everyone to whom much is given, from him much will be required; and to whom much has been committed, of him they will ask the more. "

The level of punishment will be in direct proportion to the amount of knowledge known by the individual, along with the nature and number of sins committed. Each sentient individual will receive exactly what they deserve, no less and no more. Therefore, your garden-variety ANTIFA sinner who dies today will receive a "lighter" sentence than Adolf Hitler, for example, who was a mass-murdering dictator. However, this is no consolation since the "best" of Hell is still Hell.

dreamermind

I had an aunt who died earlier this year. We weren’t close at all but I spoke to her on the phone a few days before she passed. I told her now is the time to think of what happens after death and to pray now and talk to God and repent. She is Jewish as well as I, but she knew I became a Christian. I told her I would pray for her. It breaks my heart that people who “just aren’t sure” at the time of death are in hell. I know God knows all and I trust him wholeheartedly to know each person’s heart. I just hope I see so many family and friends in Heaven that I thought wouldn’t make it. :pray

I believe that if the Lake of Fire were the same for everyone, it would neither be just, nor would there be much purpose in the Great White Throne Judgment.

Scripture has many instances where punishment for some in eternity was lesser than for others:

"Then He began to denounce the cities in which most of His miracles were done, because they did not repent. Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles had occurred in Tyre and Sidon which occurred in you, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. Nevertheless I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon in the day of judgment than for you. And you, Capernaum, will not be exalted to heaven, will you? You will descend to Hades; for if the miracles had occurred in Sodom which occurred in you, it would have remained to this day. Nevertheless I say to you that it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for you.” " (Matthew 11:20-24, NASB, emphasis mine)

"Peter said, “Lord, are You addressing this parable to us, or to everyone else as well?” And the Lord said, “Who then is the faithful and sensible steward, whom his master will put in charge of his servants, to give them their rations at the proper time? “Blessed is that slave whom his master finds so doing when he comes. Truly I say to you that he will put him in charge of all his possessions. “But if that slave says in his heart, ‘My master will be a long time in coming,’ and begins to beat the slaves, both men and women, and to eat and drink and get drunk; the master of that slave will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will cut him in pieces, and assign him a place with the unbelievers. And that slave who knew his master’s will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes, but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few. From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more. " (Luke 12:41-48, NASB, emphasis mine)

"Therefore when Pilate heard this statement, he was even more afraid; and he entered into the Praetorium again and said to Jesus, “Where are You from?” But Jesus gave him no answer. So Pilate said to Him, “You do not speak to me? Do You not know that I have authority to release You, and I have authority to crucify You?” Jesus answered, “You would have no authority over Me, unless it had been given you from above; for this reason he who delivered Me to you has the greater sin.As a result of this Pilate made efforts to release Him, but the Jews cried out saying, “If you release this Man, you are no friend of Caesar; everyone who makes himself out to be a king opposes Caesar.” " (John 19:8-12, NASB, emphasis mine)

These passages, as well as Revelation chapter 20:11-15, demonstrate that for the sake of righteousness and justice, punishment in Hell/the Lake of Fire has to be measured out.

Rocky R.

In the Lake of Fire, I don't think there will be any another sapient person who receives a greater punishment than Satan. The angel formerly known as Lucifer, I believe, will bear the greatest and most painful judgment of all, bar none. Second to him would probably be his inner circle of fallen angels, and after them all the other unclean spirits.

Among the humans, I think you could make a case for Antichrist Superstar and the False Prophet being the co-valedictorians of the wicked. Along with them, receiving a slightly lesser degree of punishment would be all the mass-murdering dictators. The people that would receive the lightest sentence (perhaps the fire is just burning but not nuclear) would most likely be those who lived moral, upgright lives but never had time for God or just outrightly rejected any form of "religion".

In the Lake of Fire, I don't think there will be any another sapient person who receives a greater punishment than Satan. The angel formerly known as Lucifer, I believe, will bear the greatest and most painful judgment of all, bar none. Second to him would probably be his inner circle of fallen angels, and after them all the other unclean spirits.

Among the humans, I think you could make a case for Antichrist Superstar and the False Prophet being the co-valedictorians of the wicked. Along with them, receiving a slightly lesser degree of punishment would be all the mass-murdering dictators. The people that would receive the lightest sentence (perhaps the fire is just burning but not nuclear) would most likely be those who lived moral, upgright lives but never had time for God or just outrightly rejected any form of "religion".

I agree; Satan would indeed be burning like a supernovae in the deepest part of the lake, with his closest cohorts somewhere nearby, but not able to be heard or seen. For once, Satan is all alone, and no one cares what happens to him from that point on.

Rocky R.

For once, Satan is all alone, and no one cares what happens to him from that point on.
Yeah, the saddest and most heart-wrenching part of that statement is that in my opinion, I think God doesn't even care what happens to him or any other soul in torment once they're in the jaws of Hell. God will manifest none of His attributes in Hell, except His anger.

Yeah, the saddest and most heart-wrenching part of that statement is that in my opinion, I think God doesn't even care what happens to him or any other soul in torment once they're in the jaws of Hell. God will manifest none of His attributes in Hell, except His anger.

I think if anything, the Lord would use one last opportunity to express His disappointment and anger at Satan before throwing him in to suffer his eternal bonfire. As for what the Lord thinks of those in hell: I know he doesn't want people to go there, but if they choose it, I don't believe He eternally dwells on what He would not change.

Rocky R.

Nah... hope you don't mind watching a bunch of us punt his scrawny caboose like a fiery football into the lake! :D
haha... I think it will be Archangel Michael playing garbage-man that day. But, wouldn't it be something if God wanted to humiliate Satan further, and called some random guy or girl to Him, pointed to Satan and told that person, "Go! Fight to the finish!" Then musses their hair and kisses their forehead and says, "The blessing is upon you!" And when they fight, Satan is horrified to discover that that person is superior to him in every way....

Back