WiFi Problem With Drops Resolved

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
I had an extremely frustrating problem with my WiFi network where it would drop out for 5 to 10 seconds 2 to 5 times every day. I called Spectrum support and they thought the problem was with WiFi interference. So they changed the WiFi channel used on the router from "auto" to channel 11. It was not clear to me why they chose channel 11, but whatever. Well that seemed to work for a little while, but then the problem came back. I called Spectrum support again and this time they thought that maybe the router was bad, so they sent me a replacement with the "auto" channel setting. I won't bore you with all the problems I had getting the replacement router working. :(

So again this seemed to work for a little while, but the dropouts started again. So I purchased my own WiFi router and figured this would either solve the problem or a least let me know if it was caused by WiFi interference. So again my new router seemed to correct the problem for a little while, but again it came back. Since it was happening on my new router, I now knew for sure it was a WiFi related problem. At this point I remembered that a Amped repeater I purchased a while back offered a free wireless analytics tool. So I installed this tool on my android smart phone and tablet.

What I noticed is that the Spectrum router with the channel set to "auto" was changing which channel it used on the fly. I had thought that the "auto" channel setting only happened at boot up, but apparently it happens all the time. So the channel changing and/or channel interference was causing the intermittent dropouts.

So here is the fix, at least the fix in my case. I turned off both Spectrum's and my WiFi routers. I then ran the wireless analytics tool on my android tablet. One of the things you can see is what WiFi channels are not being utilized by your neighbors. I then chose two unused channels, one for the Spectrum router and one for my router. I set the Spectrum router to the unused channel of 3 and my router to the unused channel of 8. So it has been about a week with no drops, so I assume that the problem is fixed. :thumbup

This is the Web site with the free WiFi tool. https://www.ampedwireless.com/wifianalytics Unfortunately it only runs on Windows PCs or Android phones and tablets. If you have a Apple product you're out of luck.

Hope this is helpful to someone! :)