Why You Should Delete Google Chrome On Your Phone

Lovin Jesus

A stark new warning for billions of Google Chrome users, as the browser is exposed harvesting very sensitive phone data without users realizing. This latest privacy nightmare should give you a reason to delete Chrome on your phone.

Last month, Facebook’s app was exposed tracking the movements of iPhone users, tapping into the device’s accelerometer at all times. Facebook is the world’s greediest data harvester, and this sensitive information can be used to monitor behaviors, linking with the extraordinary amount of data it collects.

Read further:
https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproje...-samsung-apple-iphone-and-windows-10-devices/

GEOINTAnalyst

Lovin Jesus

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Another article along the same line - https://www.purevpn.com/blog/chrome-extensions-privacy-breach/
Over the years, Google has been struggling to revise the way Chrome extensions work. This is because the APIs that are available to extension developers can be abused and in fact many are.
I use DuckDuckGo Privacy browser on my Android and removed Chrome - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.duckduckgo.mobile.android&hl=en_US&gl=US

I wonder if there is any risk in using the Chrome browser for your computer? I have it installed on mine but only use it when something doesn't display right in Firefox. I use Firefox for my browser. I wonder if I should uninstall Chrome on my computer?

Carl

I have wondered for quite a while now. My old XP dinosaur has really slowed down noticeably even though my connection to the internet has been sped up by 10X. Started looking at my task manager. and see that firefox goes up and down in the number of bytes it is using from about 345,000 to over a million. Seems it is these high byte count episodes where the browser just stops.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
If google wants to spy on you, they can probably do it even if you get rid of chrome. You'd have to get a phone that doesn't used Android. But if you got an Apple phone, who'd spy on you then? Depends on what you install on it.

If you don't want to be spied on by a smart phone, I think you're going to need to eliminate smart phones from your life.

GEOINTAnalyst

GEOINTAnalyst

If google wants to spy on you, they can probably do it even if you get rid of chrome. You'd have to get a phone that doesn't used Android. But if you got an Apple phone, who'd spy on you then? Depends on what you install on it.

If you don't want to be spied on by a smart phone, I think you're going to need to eliminate smart phones from your life.
or you can switch to a Linux Phone pcbash Like PinePhone, FairPhone, Librem and Volla Phone to name a few

GEOINTAnalyst

I wonder if there is any risk in using the Chrome browser for your computer? I have it installed on mine but only use it when something doesn't display right in Firefox. I use Firefox for my browser. I wonder if I should uninstall Chrome on my computer?
If I were to use a Chromium based browser I would look at Brave Browser which is more secure then Google Chrome - Brave includes a built-in ad-blocker, a password manager, tracking protection, a script blocker, and one-click anti-fingerprinting functionality. It also can automatically upgrade your connection to HTTPS.- both are based on Chromium and so is Micro Edge, Opera and Vilvaldi - but Brave is the most secure in the Chromium family of browsers - but still the most secure browser overall is Firefox

Jonathan

Chris, just curious if you have used an up-to-date version of Brave browser yet. From what I understand, what duckduckgo is to Google, Brave is to Chrome. It is supposed to be dedicated to absolute privacy. I tried it a couple of year ago but found that it didn't perform as well as chrome. That could have easily be rectified by now.

Ultimately, everything is a compromise. If you want absolute privacy, download TOR as well as a good VPN. Your internet speed will make DMV workers look like speed runners, but I imagine that is about as good as it gets.

I am TRYING to ween myself off the bad stuff. I never use Facebook anymore, period. While I have been a little lax, I used to use NordVPN a lot (GREAT VPN, by the way). The only reason I don't use it much anymore is some of my favorite sites recognize that my traffic is originating from a VPN server, and the only way I can use that site is if I turn off my VPN. Kind of a pain. I suppose that is the allure of TOR? That basically anyone using it is also a hub/server of traffic themselves? In other words, everyone using TOR is basically a VPN user to other users?

(All of those were actually questions).

The main thing that I can't give up is YouTube. Don't get me wrong, anytime the same content is available on Rumble, I watch it there. But youtube is a powerful source for just about everything. I diagnosed and fixed my washing machine using a multi-meter awhile back simply based on the education provided to me by youtube.

I just really wish more people would use DuckDuckGo, Brave (if it has gotten better), a VPN, and alternate video sites like Rumble.

Jonathan

PS - Are you still getting 999 mbps???!?! While my ping is excellent, my service provider won't let me get above about 115 mbps. I am NOT complaining, by the way. When you are old enough to remember what it was like to have to spend two hours to download a 1 MB file, you really have to appreciate and even marvel at the current state of technology.

PPS - Any additional ideas to increase security/privacy are coveted, from either you or anyone else reading this.

Last edited:

LoudRam

Chris, just curious if you have used an up-to-date version of Brave browser yet. From what I understand, what duckduckgo is to Google, Brave is to Chrome. It is supposed to be dedicated to absolute privacy. I tried it a couple of year ago but found that it didn't perform as well as chrome. That could have easily be rectified by now.

Ultimately, everything is a compromise. If you want absolute privacy, download TOR as well as a good VPN. Your internet speed will make DMV workers look like speed runners, but I imagine that is about as good as it gets.

I am TRYING to ween myself off the bad stuff. I never use Facebook anymore, period. While I have been a little lax, I used to use NordVPN a lot (GREAT VPN, by the way). The only reason I don't use it much anymore is some of my favorite sites recognize that my traffic is originating from a VPN server, and the only way I can use that site is if I turn off my VPN. Kind of a pain. I suppose that is the allure of TOR? That basically anyone using it is also a hub/server of traffic themselves? In other words, everyone using TOR is basically a VPN user to other users?

The main thing that I can't give up is YouTube. Don't get me wrong, anytime the same content is available on Rumble, I watch it there. But youtube is a powerful source for just about everything. I diagnosed and fixed my washing machine using a multi-meter awhile back simply based on the education provided to me by youtube.

I just really wish more people would use DuckDuckGo, Brave (if it has gotten better), a VPN, and alternate video sites like Rumble.

Jonathan

PS - Are you still getting 999 mbps???!?! While my ping is excellent, my service provider won't let me get above about 115 mbps. I am NOT complaining, by the way. When you are old enough to remember what it was like to have to spend two hours to download a 1 MB file, you really have to appreciate and even marvel at the current state of technology.

PPS - Any additional ideas to increase security/privacy are coveted, from either you or anyone else reading this.
I've been using both Brave and Duck for years. I've never had a problem with either. I use them on both my phone and tablet.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member

Jonathan

I tried the Brave browser and didn't care to much for it, so I just use plain old Firefox. Version 94.0.1 (64-bit).

I use TunnelBear for VPN when needed as they have pretty good privacy and they are audited by a 3rd party I think.

My current Internet speed via SpeedTest.net:

SpeedTestNet11112021.jpg