Why Southern Baptists’ Social Justice Spat Is Actually About the Sufficiency of Scripture

Popcornfish

Why Southern Baptists’ Social Justice Spat Is Actually About the Sufficiency of Scripture
The Founders documentary trailer uncovers a larger disagreement over how to approach secular theories around race and gender.
DAVID ROACH
AUGUST 07, 2019
Note: The trailer for the documentary mentioned in that article is at YouTube.

The Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) stood as one of the last denominations to reject homosexuality. Until recent years, sparked by the current Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission (ERLC) president, Russell Moore, the SBC has taken a slow but decidedly noticeable shift in its position on the issue, causing deep division among the ranks of the denomination.
In 2014, Russell Moore, along with other leaders such as JD Greear and Al Mohler held a meeting with “gay Christian” activists to break bread which was characterized as a “softening of tone” against homosexuality.

I agree, apostasy in the church under the excuse of social justice is indeed a Trojan horse invading the basic tenets and truths of the faith. And the authority of the bible.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
These churches just need to stick with the truth! :bibleThis is why those who will not compromise are dropping out of church. We hear enough lies in the world don't need to hear it in the church which should hold firm on the truth of scripture.

Accepted

The strange thing about this division in the SBC is that both sides are way off-track. “Founders” is a hard-line Calvinist org, and quite legalistic. Mohler’s group (also Calvinists) is moving oddly in a social justice direction to compromise with the world.

A Founders leader once spoke at a retreat held by the SBC church we were a part of years ago. His ‘sermon’ was about why we should dress up for church, men in suits and women in dresses. He said, “Now that you have been taught this, God will hold you accountable for doing it.”

Last edited:

antitox

A conversation with some great brothers at one time was about this problem. The issue was that this problem is the last stage of degradation. However James Dobson had another view in one of his seminars I saw on TV. Our discussion about homosexuality being the last stage was based upon the Sodom and Gomorrah case. But James Dobson mentioned necrophilia. Nevertheless, this issue looks like the last stage we're in to me - if the LGBTQ get their way ultimately (for the US at least). What they desire is an anything-goes society. No moral law - at least to their personal desire. I've been very concerned that people don't understand the intended and unintended repercussions of it all. The medical community and CDC will indeed get their fill of new cases. The damage to children, families, and social groups will be endless. And the media will play right into all of it. And finally the economic impact. I really believe it's the last stage of a society.

InsuranceGuy

A conversation with some great brothers at one time was about this problem. The issue was that this problem is the last stage of degradation. However James Dobson had another view in one of his seminars I saw on TV. Our discussion about homosexuality being the last stage was based upon the Sodom and Gomorrah case. But James Dobson mentioned necrophilia. Nevertheless, this issue looks like the last stage we're in to me - if the LGBTQ get their way ultimately (for the US at least). What they desire is an anything-goes society. No moral law - at least to their personal desire. I've been very concerned that people don't understand the intended and unintended repercussions of it all. The medical community and CDC will indeed get their fill of new cases. The damage to children, families, and social groups will be endless. And the media will play right into all of it. And finally the economic impact. I really believe it's the last stage of a society.

No moral law. That is the truth. What I try to figure out is how the no moral law will work with the increasing level of being watched by the government. It seems as though there are more convictions these days for sexual assault, prostitution and things of that nature as compared to years ago. So on one hand, we have the Gays out there screaming for "equality" and seemingly receiving anything they ask for, but on the other, I see more laws than ever based on morality. It is an interesting juxtaposition I cannot seemingly put together in my head.

Most churches around me are 100% gay friendly. I don't even like driving by them. To keep people in the pews, and the collection plate filled, they go out of their way to say everyone is welcome. My question is what would Jesus do? I think he would dine with them and he would tell them what they need to change. He would tell them homosexuality is not natural and is sin. That is my take. If the church invites them in, they no longer preach against homosexuality so they don't offend anyone. That's where the biggest issue is for me. I'm all for putting them in a church and giving a sermon on why it's a sin. Preach to them and talk with them. To allow them in the church, then turn your head and pretend it's ok is completely wrong and certain people will have to answer for why this was allowed someday.

Jan51

No moral law. That is the truth. What I try to figure out is how the no moral law will work with the increasing level of being watched by the government. It seems as though there are more convictions these days for sexual assault, prostitution and things of that nature as compared to years ago. So on one hand, we have the Gays out there screaming for "equality" and seemingly receiving anything they ask for, but on the other, I see more laws than ever based on morality. It is an interesting juxtaposition I cannot seemingly put together in my head.
The only reason we currently have any laws being enforced, and any sexual crimes being targeted, is, our current administration. If we are here long enough for the Dems to get in, we may see that change. The Dems want to bring down our current society so yes, they wish to spy on us and control us, and they also want to break down all sexual norms by forcing perversion upon us.

As long as the church is here, the Restrainer is restraining evil. As soon as we are gone, we have no concept of how bad it will look once all restraint on evil is lifted. Total government control, total moral chaos, total sexual perversion.

InsuranceGuy

I've wondered what the laws will be like after the Restrainer is removed. Total anarchy, or will there still be laws, but more lenient? Evil abounds today and the Restrainer is still present. I have seen things on Google though where States are wanting to lower the age of consent for sex. I think those will be removed altogether someday. I've seen odd things too, like in one state getting caught with marijuana carries a heavier prison sentence than murder. Then you have the gay dudes that want little boys and have a club that is trying to make it legal. Some people actually support them.

I agree when the Democrats get in office, things will go downhill rapidly. They will immediately pass the equality law for homosexuals which protects them against all forms of hate speech. The Bible, in a nutshell, is pure hate speech to them. I know books have been removed from schools because of this as some in my daughters high school were. Many have been edited to change words that are no longer politically correct. Even much of Mark Twain's work has either been edited or removed from many schools.

InsuranceGuy

I would expect the laws to be about forbidding any copies of the Bible to be sold or even owned. Forbidding the teaching of the Bible in churches or elsewhere and not allowing anyone to speak against the government in place at the time.

Without a doubt I see that coming as well. Do you think they will make all the stuff God hates legal? We're already there with homosexuality, but there is more the Devil could do.

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
I've wondered what the laws will be like after the Restrainer is removed. Total anarchy, or will there still be laws, but more lenient? Evil abounds today and the Restrainer is still present. I have seen things on Google though where States are wanting to lower the age of consent for sex. I think those will be removed altogether someday. I've seen odd things too, like in one state getting caught with marijuana carries a heavier prison sentence than murder. Then you have the gay dudes that want little boys and have a club that is trying to make it legal. Some people actually support them.

I agree when the Democrats get in office, things will go downhill rapidly. They will immediately pass the equality law for homosexuals which protects them against all forms of hate speech. The Bible, in a nutshell, is pure hate speech to them. I know books have been removed from schools because of this as some in my daughters high school were. Many have been edited to change words that are no longer politically correct. Even much of Mark Twain's work has either been edited or removed from many schools.
Good evening my friend.
I love your insight.
Please be advised that the Holy Spirit will not be removed , but rather the restraint that presently exists will be restrained.
Evil must be exposed .
Many time upon many, the judgment of God brings one to salvation .
We serve a righteous and just God.
No figments, no myths, but the true living God.

It does seem as though times are changing and that things are coming to a head and soon the antichrist will come on the scene with the answers that everyone is looking for. I hate to see America falling for this Godless foolishness but I can see it more and more by many of our young people that are allowed to live and by many of our older folks as well. Satan has worked his way into our church's and lives and he isn't going to let go till we Christians root him out by Christ blood and His Holy Name.
I see Pedophile's as the next open issue and then maybe beastility. God forbid that these leeches gain foothold as the homosexual and trannies have done. Along with this the murder of anyone that are caught offending one of the perverts as the abortion issue is now. Bad vibes!

antitox

It does seem as though times are changing and that things are coming to a head and soon the antichrist will come on the scene with the answers that everyone is looking for. I hate to see America falling for this Godless foolishness but I can see it more and more by many of our young people that are allowed to live and by many of our older folks as well. Satan has worked his way into our church's and lives and he isn't going to let go till we Christians root him out by Christ blood and His Holy Name.
I see Pedophile's as the next open issue and then maybe beastility. God forbid that these leeches gain foothold as the homosexual and trannies have done. Along with this the murder of anyone that are caught offending one of the perverts as the abortion issue is now. Bad vibes!
I think you are looking right ahead of where we are. There was a news report today about a guy arrested who was committing bestiality with animals on farms. Farmers were complaining so the police came out. This guy actually said that he should be able to do so. So we see how it's starting to be treated shamelessly. Not to mention a whole lot of other things like openly saying that they want dead cops.

Kerbluey

These churches just need to stick with the truth! :bibleThis is why those who will not compromise are dropping out of church. We hear enough lies in the world don't need to hear it in the church which should hold firm on the truth of scripture.

So very true. A couple of years ago I looked around for a church in my fairly large town. I was absolutely shocked by the choices. Modernism, seeker friendly, prosperity, women pastors, gay, etc. Admittedly these were just the churches that had websites, but there was no church without big issues.