Why Jehovah Witnesses are so stuck on God's Name

Goodboy

On my way up!

The Jehovah Witnesses are so tricky. One of the Jehovah Witnesses posted something on Facebook that I have included a portion of below.

One day, Peter asked Don: “Why do you bother with me? Everyone else just leaves me alone. Why do you care?” Don tactfully used three scriptures in an effort to reach Peter’s heart. First, he asked Peter if he knew that God has a personal name and asked him to read it directly from the Bible at Psalm 83:18. Next, to show why he cared, Don had Peter read Romans 10:13, 14, which explains that “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” Finally, Don read Matthew 9:36 and then asked Peter to read it for himself. That verse says: “On seeing the crowds, [Jesus] felt pity for them, because they were skinned and thrown about like sheep without a shepherd.” At that, with tears in his eyes, Peter asked: “Am I one of these sheep?”

The JW Bible correctly translates God’s name to Jehovah in Psalms 83:18. While most bibles use the word Lord when referring to God in most other portions of the Old Testament, the JW bible translates all occurrences of Lord to Jehovah in the Old Testament, which I really don’t have that much problem with.

However, the JW Bible also translates all occurrences of Lord to Jehovah in the New Testament, which I do not agree with. The Old Testament was written in Hebrew, but the New Testament was written in Greek. So then you cannot translate the Greek word Lord to the Hebrew word Jehovah. The word Lord used in the New Testament is sometimes speaking of God the Father and other times of God the son. In Romans 10:13 the word Lord is referring to God the son.

To prove this I have included Acts 4:10 through 4:12, where it specifically states the name that you are saved by in both the King James and JW bibles.

King James Bible
Psalms 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

JW Bible (New World Translation)
Psalms 83:18 May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah,You alone are the Most High over all the earth.

King James Bible
Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Romans 10:13 For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”
Romans 10:14 However, how will they call on him if they have not put faith in him? How, in turn, will they put faith in him about whom they have not heard?

King James Bible
Act 4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
Act 4:11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Act 4:10 let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel that in the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you executed on a stake but whom God raised up from the dead, by means of him this man stands here healthy in front of you.
Act 4:11 This is ‘the stone that was treated by you builders as of no account that has become the chief cornerstone.’
Act 4:12 Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.”

Anewcreationinjesus

Come Lord Jesus!!!!!!
To me the very centre of JW deception is what they do with John 1:1 describing the Word as "a god"....

Great points Goodboy. ...am not surprised they try and translate everything as Jehovah!

This is what happens when a person is followed as a leader who professes "new truth or extra revelation" outside the Bible and staple on extra books etc ...Charles Taze Russell, Joseph Smith, Ellen G White ....

antitox

To me the very centre of JW deception is what they do with John 1:1 describing the Word as "a god"....

Great points Goodboy. ...am not surprised they try and translate everything as Jehovah!

This is what happens when a person is followed as a leader who professes "new truth or extra revelation" outside the Bible and staple on extra books etc ...Charles Taze Russell, Joseph Smith, Ellen G White ....
A friend and I use to witness to JW's and he had a copy of a Grieber Bible which is footnoted in John 1 of the JW (New World translation) and the reference is in the column of where it says "a god" as you have noted. The Grieber Bible was put together by Johannes Grieber and his wife. His wife was a clairvoyant who saw these writings appear on the wall. I don't know if they have removed that reference from that "bible" but it was there. I saw it. We used that to discredit JW's claims.

Anewcreationinjesus

Come Lord Jesus!!!!!!
A friend and I use to witness to JW's and he had a copy of a Grieber Bible which is footnoted in John 1 of the JW (New World translation) and the reference is in the column of where it says "a god" as you have noted. The Grieber Bible was put together by Johannes Grieber and his wife. His wife was a clairvoyant who saw these writings appear on the wall. I don't know if they have removed that reference from that "bible" but it was there. I saw it. We used that to discredit JW's claims.
Thats brilliant antitox, what a great way to discredit JWism!! :)

Yeahhhhh clairvoyant says it all ....more like demonic darkness!!

yrrek

Actually the Old Testament has many names for God. Not just Jehovah.
Elohim, El Roy, Yahweh, Qanna, El Elyon, Adonai, El Olam. And there’s so many that are connected to Jehovah. Jehovah-nissi, Jireh, Raah, Rapha, Shamma, Tsidkenu, Mekoddishkem. All these are special because it’s connected to a story and how God played out. They are missing out on so much meaning.

Goodboy

On my way up!
I just discovered something (or the Holy Spirit told me) about the name Jehovah. First let's look at the definition of the Hebrew word below.

H3068 Strong's Concordance
יְהֹוָה
yehôvâh
yeh-ho-vaw'
From H1961; (the) self Existent or eternal; Jehovah, Jewish national name of God: - Jehovah, the Lord. Compare H3050, H3069.

As you can see the name Jehovah means "self Existent or eternal" and is more of a description or title. Now let's look at the most popular verse that uses the name Jehovah.
Psalms 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

Let's now look at that same verse in the Jehovah Witnesses New World Translation of the bible.
Psalms 83:18 May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah,You alone are the Most High over all the earth.

Notice something different?
The KJ bible states that God alone holds the name (description or title) of Jehovah, no one else can claim that description or title.
The JW bible states that God alone is the Most High over all the earth, no one else can claim they are the Most High over all the earth.

The word alone in the KJ bible is expressing that God is the only one who is self Existent or eternal. Meaning a description or title for God.
The word alone in the JW bible is expressing that God is the only one who is the Most High over all the earth.

By moving the word alone, the JW version states "whose name is Jehovah" by itself which does not imply it is a description, but God's actual name.

If this does not resonate with you, please just ignore it. :)

Lovin Jesus

The Jehovah Witnesses are so tricky. One of the Jehovah Witnesses posted something on Facebook that I have included a portion of below.

One day, Peter asked Don: “Why do you bother with me? Everyone else just leaves me alone. Why do you care?” Don tactfully used three scriptures in an effort to reach Peter’s heart. First, he asked Peter if he knew that God has a personal name and asked him to read it directly from the Bible at Psalm 83:18. Next, to show why he cared, Don had Peter read Romans 10:13, 14, which explains that “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” Finally, Don read Matthew 9:36 and then asked Peter to read it for himself. That verse says: “On seeing the crowds, [Jesus] felt pity for them, because they were skinned and thrown about like sheep without a shepherd.” At that, with tears in his eyes, Peter asked: “Am I one of these sheep?”

The JW Bible correctly translates God’s name to Jehovah in Psalms 83:18. While most bibles use the word Lord when referring to God in most other portions of the Old Testament, the JW bible translates all occurrences of Lord to Jehovah in the Old Testament, which I really don’t have that much problem with.

However, the JW Bible also translates all occurrences of Lord to Jehovah in the New Testament, which I do not agree with. The Old Testament was written in Hebrew, but the New Testament was written in Greek. So then you cannot translate the Greek word Lord to the Hebrew word Jehovah. The word Lord used in the New Testament is sometimes speaking of God the Father and other times of God the son. In Romans 10:13 the word Lord is referring to God the son.

To prove this I have included Acts 4:10 through 4:12, where it specifically states the name that you are saved by in both the King James and JW bibles.

King James Bible

King James Bible
Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

Romans 10:13 For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.”
Romans 10:14 However, how will they call on him if they have not put faith in him? How, in turn, will they put faith in him about whom they have not heard?

King James Bible
Act 4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.
Act 4:11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.
Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Act 4:10 let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel that in the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you executed on a stake but whom God raised up from the dead, by means of him this man stands here healthy in front of you.
Act 4:11 This is ‘the stone that was treated by you builders as of no account that has become the chief cornerstone.’
Act 4:12 Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.”
I was in that religion for 11 years and the best answer I can give you is that they try to be separate from all other religions and refer to Isaiah 43:7 “ everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made”. I think that most of it is that it goes with their doctrine in being separate from everyone else and because they believe they are the only ones on earth who will be saved from judgement so being different and separate identifies them as the only ones who are God’s people. For some reason they think they are the only ones who recognize the name of God being Jehovah. But God actually has many names and the Bible begins with I Am as His name.

ItIsFinished!

Actually the Old Testament has many names for God. Not just Jehovah.
Elohim, El Roy, Yahweh, Qanna, El Elyon, Adonai, El Olam. And there’s so many that are connected to Jehovah. Jehovah-nissi, Jireh, Raah, Rapha, Shamma, Tsidkenu, Mekoddishkem. All these are special because it’s connected to a story and how God played out. They are missing out on so much meaning.
Bingo!!!
Exactly .

ItIsFinished!

I was in that religion for 11 years and the best answer I can give you is that they try to be separate from all other religions and refer to Isaiah 43:7 “ everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made”. I think that most of it is that it goes with their doctrine in being separate from everyone else and because they believe they are the only ones on earth who will be saved from judgement so being different and separate identifies them as the only ones who are God’s people. For some reason they think they are the only ones who recognize the name of God being Jehovah. But God actually has many names and the Bible begins with I Am as His name.
:thumbup
So glad you saw the Son for who He is, God in the Flesh. The Word.
I would love to hear some stories on how you were freed from that cultic bondage.
Certain details and nuances if you will.
Give us a deeper insight within the scope of learning.
Share what God showed you and how you felt or remembered/responded when The Living Word/Holy Spirit convicted you of the errors of your particular path(s).
11 years in, that is a chunk of time.
I led several JW to The Lord .
They are tough nuts to crack ;).
I know you know what I mean.
I may share one story about a JW that I worked with and led to the Lord.
It was a long process that took awhile, but it was absolutely worth it.
We both learned alot and became good friends.
He became my brother in Christ!!!
Nothing thrills me more when someone comes to Christ and receives redemption through the shed blood of Christ.

Praise The Lamb of God.
Let us sing , Blessed Redeemer.
Amen!

Lovin Jesus

:thumbup
So glad you saw the Son for who He is, God in the Flesh. The Word.
I would love to hear some stories on how you were freed from that cultic bondage.
Certain details and nuances if you will.
Give us a deeper insight within the scope of learning.
Share what God showed you and how you felt or remembered/responded when The Living Word/Holy Spirit convicted you of the errors of your particular path(s).
11 years in, that is a chunk of time.
I led several JW to The Lord .
They are tough nuts to crack ;).
I know you know what I mean.
I may share one story about a JW that I worked with and led to the Lord.
It was a long process that took awhile, but it was absolutely worth it.
We both learned alot and became good friends.
He became my brother in Christ!!!
Nothing thrills me more when someone comes to Christ and receives redemption through the shed blood of Christ.

Praise The Lamb of God.
Let us sing , Blessed Redeemer.
Amen!
I’ll post in the personal testimonies section soon. I would like for you to share your story, I look forward to reading it. That’s great how the Lord reached his heart through you.

Anewcreationinjesus

Come Lord Jesus!!!!!!
Interesting, LJ and what a testimony of rescue!!! :) would love to hear your testimony in full :)

So interesting they misuse the verse in Isaiah 43 ....as I understand it in context Isaiah 43:1 is addressed to Jacob/Israel specifically and Gods promise to rescue them in the future ...

Sooo many verses meant for Israel yanked out of context!!

Its the old context context context again .... :)

Lovin Jesus

Th
Interesting, LJ and what a testimony of rescue!!! :) would love to hear your testimony in full :)

So interesting they misuse the verse in Isaiah 43 ....as I understand it in context Isaiah 43:1 is addressed to Jacob/Israel specifically and Gods promise to rescue them in the future ...

Sooo many verses meant for Israel yanked out of context!!

Its the old context context context again .... :)
They misinterpret scriptures a lot to make them fit their doctrine. They even take the New Jerusalem and 144,000 to refer to themselves

Goodboy

On my way up!
Here is another bad translation in the JW Bible.

Look at the word Lord in the King James Bible below.
King James Version of the bible
Acts 16:31
And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Acts 16:32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.

In both Acts 16:31 and Acts 16:32 above the word translated to Lord is the same Greek word kurios.

This is the word and definition below.
kurios
koo'-ree-os (How it is pronounced)
From κῦρος kuros (supremacy); supreme in authority, that is, (as noun) controller; by implication Mr. (as a respectful title): - God, Lord, master, Sir.

King James Version of the bible
(I quoted the KJB again below, so it would be easier to compare with the JW translation)
Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Acts 16:32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.

New World Translation of the bible (JW Version)
Acts 16:31
They said: “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will get saved, you and your household.”
Acts 16:32 Then they spoke the word of Jehovah to him together with all those in his house.

Notice in the JW bible the same Greek word kurios is translated to Lord in Acts 16:31 and to Jehovah in Acts 16:32.

You don’t have to be a Greek scholar to see that they have translated the same Greek word kurios correctly to Lord in Acts 16:31 and incorrectly to Jehovah in Acts 16:32

It is amazing to me that intelligent people fall for that religion. ):

Bohdan

"Jehovah" is a permutation of God's name that is historically part of European culture.
There's even a hymn by JS Bach that uses it (in German).

The linguistic sloppiness is a trivial matter and not really all that important.
The problem with the "Witness" emphasis is it implicitly corroborates their denial of the Divinity of Christ.

To deny the Divinity of Christ is to deny Salvation itself.
It is not just a particular doctrine of various denominations, it is the defining doctrine of Christianity.