Why has homosexuality become so acceptable in today's society?

Discussion in 'Christian Chat' started by Amethyst, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Amethyst

Amethyst Member

I know one would say "because we're in the last days"... but really, is it simply to fit in with others? Even among "Christians".... I don't think adultery is accepted as much as this is, even though someone elses adultery wouldn't necessarily "effect you."

2. billy swinea

billy swinea Well-Known Member

The lgbq want ever the letters are this week are pushing this and people are afraid of them! Why I don't know except satin is behind this full force! Just a few years ago this was not out in the open. Just look how people are talking and doing things now. INSANITY rules. Its going to get worse! COME QUICKLY LORD JESUS!!

Círeth, SonSeeker, Lynn and 8 others like this.
  3. Goodboy

Goodboy Well-Known Member

Because this generation has been deceived to believe that homosexuality is just another way to love someone. They also believe that some are born as homosexuals and this is their only means of expressing their love. So people and even some Christians feel sorry for them.

First of all, no one is born attracted to any sex, as sexual attraction does not begin in anyone younger than a year old. Someone may or may not be born with that tendency, but they certainly are not born as a homosexual. Well guess what, we are all born with a tendency of some sin or another, but that does not mean we should engage in it.

Second of all, homosexuality is not love! Let me say it again, homosexuality is not love! The name itself tells you what it is about, which is sex! That's why part of the deception was to cleverly change the name "homosexual" to "gay".

Look I don't care if two guys love each other and I don't even care if they live together as long as they don't engage in sex or passion. There are actually a number of heterosexual men that love each other and live together. No problem with that. If two so called homosexuals love each other and want to live together without passion or sex. No problem with that either.

So to me the biggest reason there has been such a swing to accepting homosexuals is deception.

Círeth, Dave, Patiently... and 10 others like this.
  4. billy swinea

billy swinea Well-Known Member

VERY WELL SAID

Círeth, lenraff, Andy C and 4 others like this.
  5. Forgiven1

Forgiven1 Well-Known Member

The entertainment industry has been working hard to portray these relationships as "normal" and have succeeded in desensitizating people to accept it as such.

Círeth, SonSeeker, Lynn and 10 others like this.
  6. Everlasting Life

Everlasting Life Through Faith in Jesus

I think what put this over the edge was the stamp of approval by a popular (wordly popular) president and the Supreme Court. This shut down major restraints in our country and gave a huge platform of permission to openly promote in schools, books, movies, politics ...and even "chuches".

Círeth, SonSeeker, Lynn and 9 others like this.
  7. benmcd

benmcd Well-Known Member

There is also a strong element of bullying in pushing the homosexual agenda. Just like the men of Sodom, modern homosexuals are into forcing everyone to conform. you don't conform, you risk losing your job/home etc. Just look at how they go after bakers and artists to force them to promote their agenda.

Círeth, Kerbluey, Sowen and 11 others like this.
  8. Everlasting Life

Everlasting Life Through Faith in Jesus

Yeah, a real tolerant and forgiving bunch, eh?

Círeth, SonSeeker, Lynn and 6 others like this.
  9. Love His Appearing

Love His Appearing Well-Known Member

Homosexuality is an abomination to God. I get that. The Bible is very clear. But so is adultery and nobody is getting kicked out of church for cheating on their spouse. So I struggled with this for awhile because it does seem that we are called to love like Jesus loves. He loves sinners. They will know we are Christians by our love not our hate. Jesus came to save homosexuals just like he came to save heterosexuals who have sinned. Haven't we all sinned? If we had to rank sin, I think self-righteousness would be the biggest.

I was raised to be anti-LQBQTUVWXYZ because the bible is clear that it is a sin. But then I met a few gay people. And they are kind and funny and thoughtful and nice and trustworthy--just like my straight friends. And I saw a movie where a 15yo girl jumped in front of a train because she thought she was gay. And that didn't sit right with me, either. I understand that the sin isn't love, it is about sex. The truth is, I don't want to hear about ANYONE'S sex life--gay, straight or otherwise. That's a private and intimate matter between a husband and a wife.

PLEASE understand that I am not arguing that homosexuality is okay. It is not. And it never will be. I am just giving my two cents on the OP question. WHY is it more acceptable today than it was years ago? Why is recreational pot use legal and even mainstream in so many states? Why is it okay to get a divorce when it very clearly says in the bible that God hates divorce? Why is it ok for people to lie, cheat and steal, and even murder (abortion) but not okay for a woman to LOVE another woman? DO you see what I am saying LOVE vs HATE? It seems reasonable that love should be better than hate. But that is why I think it has become so mainstream. I am not really sure how homosexuality became the biggest sin, but I can almost understand how it became mainstream.

If one of my children suddenly decided they were gay, it would break my heart into a thousand tiny pieces because of what JD Farag says so eloquently. "Sin isn't bad because it is forbidden. Sin is forbidden because it is bad". There are natural consequences and a whole lot of pain and suffering for people engaged in alternative lifestyles (or any sin for that matter) no matter how mainstream it becomes. But I wouldn't disown them and I wouldn't kick them out of my church. Au contraire. I would be on my knees all day and all night because it is really hard to watch your kids suffer.

jmo~

EDITED TO ADD: That's the WHY. The how is like someone said above....a few people set out to desensitize us and it worked. (movies, TV, etc...) Didn't help that a few college boys were brutally murdered for being gay.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  10. Goodboy

1. Who is saying that we Christians hate homosexuals? We don't.

2. The things you mentioned are not OK to most Christians, as the Bible says they are wrong just like a women having sex with another women. Why did you say loving another women, when you admitted earlier that it was about sex? You said "I understand that the sin isn't love, it is about sex."

3. Who said that homosexuality is the biggest sin? That decision is not up to us, but up to God, but in any case all sins keep you out of heaven without Jesus.

The reason Christians are so focused on homosexuality and abortion, is because those who engage in this, claim it is not a sin. Christians I know do not claim that divorce, lies, cheating, stealing and murder (abortion) are OK. They might do some of these things, but do not claim it is right. Have you ever seen large protests by cheaters with signs stating that cheating on your spouse is not wrong?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Jan51, Dave, Sowen and 7 others like this.
  11. lenraff

lenraff Well-Known Member

God's explains it thus:

Rom 1:22  Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 
    Rom 1:23  And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. 
    Rom 1:24  Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 
    Rom 1:25  Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. 
    Rom 1:26  For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 
    Rom 1:27  And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. 
    Rom 1:28  And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient

It's all ugly rebellion against the laws of God, and for this He turns them over to a reprobate mind, IE depraved, wicked, drunken and unprincipled mind. An infinitesimally small number of homosexuals repent and are freed from that demonic slavery. I have two male neighbors who are married, one of which grew up in the church, and he is so very lost.

Kerbluey, Sowen, SonSeeker and 5 others like this.
  12. sherryh

sherryh Well-Known Member

study researchers led by Mark Hatzenbuehler of Columbia University polled more than 30,000 11th graders in different counties. Results showed that about 20 percent of LGB teens attempted suicide in the 12 months before the survey, while only about 4 percent of heterosexual teens had. This isn't because of bullying, because it's widely excepted. The suicide rate is even higher in the 20-35 age and domestic violence is extremely high. Why all the unhappiness?

Kerbluey, Sowen, SonSeeker and 7 others like this.
  13. Love His Appearing

I hit "like" on your comment because I appreciate that you took the time to write it. "Like" isn't the right word here, but you know what I mean.

This statistic is SO sad!! Suicide in our state has now become the number one cause of death for the 10-24year olds. TEN year olds killing themselves. Our kids are growing up in a culture where suicide is very much a part of their everyday world. They think it's a viable option. It doesn't surprise me that the LGB teens rate is higher. There is so much pain there.

14. Love His Appearing

I am so sorry, GoodBoy, if I didn't explain myself very well and inadvertently stepped on your toes. Not my intention to cause a debate.

I do think you are right. People engaged in these particular sins think they are right. They are not. And that is the difference. I certainly wasn't implying that any of us here or anyone I know personally for that matter would HATE an LBGQT person. But some "Christians" through the ages have behaved very poorly. I believe we, in general, have a bad reputation for being very judgmental. Ill-deserved, in my opinion, but it's there.

I didn't mean to imply that Christians think any of those other sins are OKAY. But for example, some churches have prison ministries where they go and minister to the inmates, but won't let an openly gay couple attend their church. It just seems kind of odd. It's almost like they can forgive any sin but that one. Can you imagine a pastor turning away a young girl who had had an abortion or a man who was involved in an extra marital affair? It wouldn't happen. But all over the country, openly gay folks have been asked to leave churches. That's what I meant about it becoming the biggest sin. And there are tons of celebrities--and even people in in the real world--who have been married multiple times due to infidelity and yet no-one makes a stink about it. Do you see what I am trying to say? I am not arguing FOR the LGBQT agenda, I am just saying I can almost understand it. That's not even true...I can almost understand the LG argument because I really do think that, however misguided they are, they think it is love they are fighting for. The rest of the letters just boggle my mind! I don't know or even want to know what they stand for.

I am not really sure how or why I even got myself into this conversation. I was just killing time while I was waiting for the water to boil for our pasta. I am quite certain my time could have been used more productively. I guess it's just fun to discuss hot topics sometimes. I should probably spend less time debating the LGBQ thing, and more time actually sharing the gospel with them. Because GOOD NEWS!! ALL believers are washed clean of ALL sins because of what Jesus did for us on the cross! THANK YOU, JESUS! Last time I checked the east was pretty far from the west, and the sea of forgetfulness was rather vast. What an AWESOME and PATIENT and LOVING God we serve. I just love Him so much, and I can't wait to see Him face-to-face! Maybe tonight? Tonight would be GOOD!

Again, my apologies.

lenraff, Sowen, SonSeeker and 6 others like this.
  15. Sowen

Sowen Well-Known Member

Look up an article written in 1987 called, “The Overhauling of Straight America”. There’s a book based on that article which is more fleshed out.

Here are some excerpts from some of the article’s outline.

lenraff, Kerbluey, SonSeeker and 7 others like this.
  16. Goodboy

Love His Appearing, no apologies needed, but thanks for that. :)

I was not trying to debate and I am sorry if I came across that way. I just wanted to understand where you were coming from and wanted you to understand my position. I guess that could be considered a debate, but that word sounds like a negative thing. I would just prefer to use more positive words like a healthy discussion.

To your last point, you stated "Churches have prison ministries where they go and minister to the inmates, but won't let an openly gay couple attend their church." That's true, but they don't bring the prisoners to the church either, they go to the prison where the prisoners are. The same is true with openly gay couples. If the couple will allow it, which they typically won't, Christians would be more than happy to share with them.

Here lies the problem, you correctly stated openly gay couples are not allowed in church. I assume that you mean that not only do they think it is right, but want to come in and act just like a heterosexual couple correct? Meaning holding hands, hugging and things like that. Well any good church should not let a married man bring his lover on the side with him holding hands and hugging. Basically you are allowing someone to bring sin into the church. Sinners, (which we all are) should be allowed in any church, but should not be allowed to bring their sin in with them.

Should a nudest be allowed to come into church nude? If they put some clothes on, they should be welcomed with open arms!

Again, not a debate just a healthy discussion. :hug

17. lenraff

lenraff Well-Known Member

Sad and angry and very unhappy. Gays and Democrats! Just take a look at Bernie Sanders, always looks on the verge of a stroke. Look at the faces in the protest crowds, no joy there. While some hate the homosexual and politicians and Hollywood types, it is only because they don't recognize they have been enslaved by the evil one, they are not their own. This is demon possession.

2Pe_2:19  While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.

18. sherryh

sherryh Well-Known Member

As a kid our family friend who was also the local pastor, he always said that " church is a school house for sinners". Billy Crone says you must be very watchful of your church congregation as we know some people come to destroy it.. I think that with homosexuals they want the Christian to except their life choice as normal, where as say a theif doesn't say this is who I am and I demand you to except it.......just as I see it.

Sowen, lenraff, billy swinea and 6 others like this.
  19. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

AMEN!!

20. Andy C

Andy C Well-Known Member

Me personally, I prefer my church allow all inside, no matter the sins in their life. If sinners were not allowed inside, who would then fill the seats of the church? Nobody, it would be empty.

There is however, a big difference in all sinners being welcomed, contrasted with those who flaunt their sinful behavior. If a homosexual came to the church with the attitude of seeking Him for help in removing their sinful behaviors , then they are at the right place. If they come seeking confrontation with those who disagree that their sin is ok, then time to go, come back when ready to admit you’re a sinner, in need of a Savior.