Why Egg prices are HIGH?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
If the hens are kept in a climate controlled facility they'll keep laying. We've never had an egg shortage in the country that I know of until now, so winter doesn't explain it. It's probably got something to do with wiping out millions of chickens due to avian flu issues.

I scored a couple dozen extra large eggs this last week. Sometimes when I go to the grocery store they have no eggs of any kind to sell. Fairbanks gets it's runofthemill eggs from the state of Washington. I don't know where the more expensive brands come from, aside from that they come from hens, of course.

ChildofLight

Farm chickens really don’t have much feed cost if they are free range. I have 9 and feed them about 2/3 of a peach can a day of layer feed and alternating with scratch. Surprisingly :oops: the scratch is more expensive than the layer feed. Have some grit and calcium/oyster shell available for them. Lots of times I crush the eggs shells after cleaning the inside and letting them dry. That replaces the calcium and they seem to like it better.

Back