Why Does God Allow Deformed Babies?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Why Does God Allow Deformed Babies?
By Jack Kinsella

Why is the world the way it is? Why do some people die slow, lingering painful deaths, while others slip away peacefully in their sleep? Why do some people suffer life-long debilitating illnesses while others live their lives through with nary a sniffle? Why are babies born with birth defects?

That was the question that popped into my email box yesterday. Does God make defective babies?

“I have a challenging question you may or may not want to tackle. I am about 60 years old, I am a Christian and I have been a nurse for almost 32 years. I work in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) at a big, teaching hospital. In Psalm 139:14 God tells us we are fearfully and wonderfully made. He knits us together in our mother’s wombs. He knows us before this is even done! How do I reconcile the fact that God knits us together in the womb with the fact that we see many anomalous infants born? (I am asking for my own understanding as well as to be able to minister to families who have these anomalous infants and either lose them in death or take them home to care for them long-term). I know we live in a sin-fallen world and things are not what they were meant to be, but does God actually knit a baby with Down’s syndrome together in the womb or one with an underdeveloped brain or heart? I am looking and seeking to understand this myself, but wondered if you had any insight into this. Thanks for considering.”

Virtually every meaningful conversation I have ever had with people on the subject of God and religion has either started with this question, or one like it. No doubt, you probably can say the same thing.

If God is real, then how come He allows evil? Let’s start there.

“Evil” is actually something that is completely beyond our comprehension. As finite human beings, we can discern “good” on a subjective level — if we like the outcome, then it is good.

The same applies to recognizing evil. We can discern that it is evil — subjectively — because we can perceive the outcome will be a bad one.

But the premise that we human beings can know good and evil is part and parcel of the first lie ever told in the universe.

“For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.” (Genesis 3:5)

Instead of knowing good and evil, Adam and Eve learned about bad and worse. Bad was how they felt after they had sinned, and worse was how they felt after they were penalized for their sin. But they couldn’t know good and evil.

We can discern moral and immoral, right and wrong, but good and evil are outcomes, not concepts. Outcomes are known only to God. We witness an earthquake and we wonder why God created such a great evil.

The earthquake swarm that spawned the Japanese tsumani was a great evil because of the deaths and damages that followed. Yes?

It depends on how you look at it. As already noted, evil is subjective.

Earthquakes are necessary to sustaining life on earth. Land masses wear down with time because of rain, snow, freezing, heating, glaciers, landslides, and gravitational forces. If there were no forces that lift the land to replenish the worn away parts, after a while all land on the earth would be under water.

Because the earth is liquid inside, land is constantly being lifted to replace the land that is worn down. So earthquakes are actually good, because without them, the earth could not sustain life.

Death is evil, because we cannot fully understand it, not because it is actually evil. Death is a necessary part of our transition from darkness into light. You cannot go to heaven without dying first. (Unless you happen to make it to the Rapture).

And so, from the perspective of those who perished in Japan, it was only “evil” for those that died in their sins.

Those who were in Christ are presently in the company of their Savior, alive forevermore, beyond the reach of sickness, loss or death.

From the perspective of those who are left behind, the tsunami was a great evil. But that is because we don’t know the whole story. We never do. That’s why it is so hard for us to grasp how God can “allow” evil.

If the tsunami had not struck an inhabited area, but instead swept across an uninhabited desert island, would it have still been considered “evil”? No.

What made it “evil” was our perception of the outcome.

Assessment

To a secularist, it is a greater evil to allow a defective baby to live with a birth defect than it would be to spare him a life of misery by aborting him in the womb. But in order to make that judgment, one must first put oneself in a position of judging an outcome.

“God tells us we are fearfully and wonderfully made. He knits us together in our mother’s wombs. He knows us before this is even done! How do I reconcile the fact that God knits us together in the womb with the fact that we see many anomalous infants born?”

Helen Keller was struck deaf and blind by meningitis at the age of 19 months. By every possible human measure, this sounds unspeakably evil. Certainly, it would have been ‘good’ had Helen Keller miraculously recovered her vision and hearing.

One might even call such a restoration a triumph of good over evil. Especially from the perspective of pretty much anybody living back in the 1880’s.

But Helen Keller never recovered her sight and hearing. She lived for eighty-seven years in a world of soundless darkness. Had “good triumphed over evil” in this case, American sign language might never have been developed.

Why does God allow anomalous infants to be born? “The Lord works in mysterious ways” isn’t a very satisfying answer. There is good reason for that.

It is because the Lord doesn’t work in ‘mysterious’ ways; He works according to His will. He has a purpose for everything that He does. Whether we understand that purpose is irrelevant — HE does.

“So shall My Word be that goeth forth out of My Mouth: it shall not return unto Me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:11)

To the unbeliever, this life is all there is — so when God takes it, it seems exceedingly cruel. But this is no more ‘all there is’ than the blackness of the womb is to the unborn child. The blackness of the womb is simply all it knows until it is born.

What seems exceedingly cruel from this perspective of existence may well be an act of exceeding mercy when viewed from the perspective of God.

God allows birth defects for the same reason that he allows for the existence of both good and evil. God uses what we might consider evil to accomplish what He knows is good.

Take the story of Joseph and his coat of many colors. His brothers were jealous of Joseph, so they kidnapped him and sold him into slavery. They went back to their father and reported Joseph dead.

They intended to do evil. That was their plan. In those days, slavery was usually a fate worse than death. But Joseph became the most powerful man in Egypt while his brothers were starving to death as the result of a great famine.

Had Joseph not been in the position he was at the time, his brothers, who were not Egyptians, would have been turned away to starve. God had a plan for Israel and it didn’t involve them starving to death before it could come to fruition.

As Joseph himself noted, his brothers meant it for evil, but God meant it for good.

It isn’t a very satisfying answer to the question, does God form anomalous babies? But it is the only logical answer, notwithstanding. Of course God is responsible for birth defects. He is God. But birth defects are “evil” only because of our lack of understanding.

When she was a young child, it would be impossible to see Helen Keller’s life as anything but a tragedy. But God intended it for good and Helen Keller went on to use her disabilities to become one of the most famous educators in American history.

In the end, we can say without doubt that God knits together every person in the womb, including those with birth defects. We can say with confidence that if God didn’t want that baby to have a birth defect, then it wouldn’t.

So that leaves only one remaining possibility. God intended it for reasons of His own that we cannot understand, which is, in and of itself, a point of understanding.

Good and evil are outcomes, and outcomes are known only to God. That’s why He wants us to trust Him.

“Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)

This Letter was written by Jack Kinsella on February 24, 2012.

https://www.raptureforums.com/jack-kinsella/why-does-god-allow-deformed-babies/

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
Jack presents a logical way to answer the question. There will never be peace in understanding these 'Why" questions until one comes to the point of resting fully in the Lord and trusting fully that He knows what He is doing. Sin is a terrible thing and its repercussions are truly terrifying.

Just recently I was thinking about this issue of evil as opposed to the condition of things on the earth before sin entered the world, i.e., the Garden of Eden from Genesis 1-3. The picture the Bible reveals is idyllic and absent from evil. It tells us that in the beginning God had created the world to be a place of unending peace--a utopia for His creation. Then sin entered the picture.

Col 1:17 states: "And He [Jesus] is before all things, and in Him all things consist" In the original Greek, the word "consist," συνίστημι (sunistēmi) is a compound word with συν (son)and ιστημι (a "μι" verb), making one word from the two. When separated they mean "to gather or assemble," and "to stand," respectively. Compounded, they mean, "to come to be in a condition of coherence, continue, endure, exist, [and] hold together," (BDAG). The passage teaches that in Christ all things stand and are held fast together. This includes His will now as much as His will then, in the pre-fall days of the earth. That time was characterized this way in the Bible and specifically, Genesis:
  • The birds and beasts were all in harmony with mankind
  • The climate was perfect and set to continue as such without harm to His creation
  • Human life was eternal on earth and in the paradise God created for us
  • There was no death -- remember death came as a result of sin. There was no preadamic earth where plants and animals existed and died
  • There was no hard labor in bringing forth food and shelter, instead the earth brought forth food supplies on its own
  • The Earth was encompassed with a canopy that kept all climates temperate and held in check, Genesis 1:6-7.
  • There was harmony between God and man. There was no sin.
All of these things being consistent with God's power to Hold all things together and in place.

Then sin entered the world
Unfortunately for us and the groaning earth (Rom 8:20-22), God's will now stands within the bounds of the curse that was placed upon earth and humanity when sin entered the world.
  • The birds and beasts are not at all in harmony with mankind, we can rule over them, but they also can kill us
  • The climate is no longer perfect and now continues in its imperfect state, sometimes bringing devastation and harm to His creation -- devastation that was unleashed by the bursting of the canopy that surrounded the earth, resulting in pouring rain all over the earth. Simultaneously, the fountains of the deep (oceans) exploded underwater in a cacophony of volcanic display--both of which contributed to the great flood and the the catastrophic weather patterns we still see today.
  • Human life is now limited to 70 years, or if by God's will and grace, longer; but no longer eternal
  • There is now death that can come at any age
  • There is now hard, continuous labor in bringing forth food and shelter. The law of entropy plagues everything so that nothing can exist without decay
  • The Earth is no longer encompassed with a full canopy that could hold back changes in climate that bring, drought, famine, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunami's, hurricanes, tornadoes, hail and such
One act of disobedience brought death to all things and disrupted a perfect way of life that God had intended to be a lasting reality for His creation. Just this one action was all it took. Since then, the earth and humanity has struggled under God's disciplinary curse.

But there is a coming morning--a new day on the horizon--wherein the Lord will partially lift this curse, and then in the end, fully lift it from overshadowing and plaguing His creation. It is a day which all people should long for, but it does not happen overnight. That day is spelled out in Rev. 12:7-17.

7 And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, 8 but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. 9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

10 Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down. 11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death. 12 Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you who dwell in them! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and the sea! For the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, because he knows that he has a short time.”

13 Now when the dragon saw that he had been cast to the earth, he persecuted the woman who gave birth to the male Child. 14 But the woman was given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness to her place, where she is nourished for a time and times and half a time, from the presence of the serpent. 15 So the serpent spewed water out of his mouth like a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away by the flood. 16 But the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed up the flood which the dragon had spewed out of his mouth. 17 And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ. -- NKJV.

The fact that the above descriptive passage occurs during the Tribulation Period is clearly evident for the following reasons:
  • The "tribulation overcomers" of vs. 11 who would face death during that terrible time
  • By the "short time" of the devil in vs.12
  • By the "persecution of Israel, (pictured by the woman who gave birth to the Male Child, Christ) vs. 13
  • By the "place of protection" that God prepares for Israel in the "wilderness" where she is under divine provision for 3.5 years (a time (1) a times (2) and a half of time (1/2), and the divine protection from the Dragon, vs. 14-16
Not able to destroy those who have fled to the wilderness, Satan turns his destructive ways against the gentile believers of the tribulation period, vs. 17. (cf. Matt 24:16-21 for the pre-final 3.5 year flight of Israel to the wilderness and Zech. 14:4-5, for the final flight of remnant Israel to the wilderness at the Second Coming of Christ)

But prefacing all of this action is vss. 7-10. Satan is cast out of heaven and no longer is able to accuse the brethren (cf. Zech 3:1-5 for Satan in action and the decree of God toward the righteous in thwarting accusations against those robed in God's righteousness). In these passages we also see the lifting of the permissive or sometimes called, the passive will of God. In and by His sovereign choosing alone, God has allowed the curse to continue till such time as He lifts it. That time has come -- and we rejoice because of it.

Immediately preceding this time when God is decreeing His final judgment against evil, war breaks out in heaven. The angels who serve God night and day under the awesome charge of that mighty and powerful Archangel , Michael, subdue the Prince of the Power of the Air, Satan and his evil cohorts. No place is found for them in heaven any longer, vs. 8. What follows is God sovereignly putting aside His permissive will and all that Jesus was, is, and will always be comes into play. Sin and evil will begin to fade as the power, strength and salvation of God that supremely exist in 'Who He Is' (The I Am) burst forth in the resplendent glory of rule that underscores the true meaning of the Kingdom of God. The final stages of the wrath of God are poured out upon the earth against Satan, his angels, the unbelieving world, the antichrist, the false prophet and all who have freely taken the mark of the beast.

These are the days of vengeance against all evil ever perpetrated on the face of the earth. This begins the time when God's answer to the plea of tribulation saints of the fifth Seal in Rev. 6:9-11 begins to take place. Like the flood of Noah, which swept away all evil that was being continually perpetuated on earth, so the current evils are finally judged and condemned. When complete, at the Second Coming of Christ which ends the horrors of sin being judged, preparations begin to be made for the coming dawn of Christs rule on Earth -- The Millennial Kingdom. And oh what a day it will be.

In the meantime, evil exists by God's permissive will. Sin, its destructive way, the world, the flesh, and the devil continue to perpetrate and promote all that is an affront to God and His holiness--God only allowing it in order for the church to finish its evangelistic efforts to bring as many into the fold of God as possible. Thousands pray daily for the salvation of their friends and loved ones. It is these prayers and God's love for His creation that I believe is holding back the wrath of God even now.

Final observations:
  • I think it is amazing that the church is in heaven when sin is being judged, and the way is made open for Israel to finally come into the bond of the New Covenant (Ezek. 20:33-38).
  • I am also convinced that the church in heaven will be standing before the Judgment Seat of Christ (Rom. 14:10, 2 Cor. 5:10) during the days of wrath being poured out on the earth. Perhaps the Judgment Seat occurs only during the first 1/2 of the tribulation, Satan being given one last chance to accuse the brethren, only to be rebuked by God and cast out of His presence showing He has no authority over the blood bought saints of God who trusted in Christ alone for salvation, (that is you and I brothers and sisters.)
  • During this first 3.5 years of the tribulation the four horsemen of the first four seals unleash the antichrist, war, famine, and disease on earth. The final 3.5 years of the tribulation being more focused on the greater and more destructive supernatural judgments of God from heaven.
  • It is also during this final 3.5 years that in heaven the church becomes the full wedded Bride of Christ.
These are all thoughts that came to mind as I ruminated on the problem of evil. Thank God, that all who accept Jesus as Lord and Savior are privy to knowing that God is in control and that one day evil will not be the rule on earth anymore.

Edited for clarity MH

Last edited:

athenasius

Just speaking as a grandmother of a beloved little granddaughter born with an inherited defect ( she will be undergoing hip surgery at the age of 9 months, and will require both hips be replaced by age 12, and she has other serious problems with her bones)

God's ways are higher than ours. We live in a sin sick world after the fall, when a lot of bad stuff happens to people thru no fault of their own. Sometimes God heals here and now, sometimes He doesn't. But He is in control and knows the end from the beginning. And He is utterly trustworthy.

This is another time where we turn to the Bible and trust the Bible over our experiences. What we see and hear and experience down here is NOT all there is.

I turn to John 9
The disciples asked Jesus WHO SINNED????? regarding the man born blind. HIS PARENTS??? OR HIM???
And Jesus said NEITHER!

John 9 New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Heals a Man Born Blind
9 As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.

ItIsFinished!

Jack presents a logical way to answer the question. There will never be peace in understanding these 'Why" questions until one comes to the point of resting fully in the Lord and trusting fully that He knows what He is doing. Sin is a terrible thing and its repercussions are truly terrifying.

Just recently I was thinking about this issue of evil as opposed to the condition of things on the earth before sin entered the world, i.e., the Garden of Eden from Genesis 1-3. The picture the Bible reveals is idyllic and absent from evil. It tells us that in the beginning God had created the world to be a place of unending peace--a utopia for His creation. Then sin entered the picture.

Col 1:17 states: "And He [Jesus] is before all things, and in Him all things consist" In the original Greek, the word "consist," συνίστημι (sunistēmi) is a compound word with συν (son)and ιστημι (a "μι" verb), making one word from the two. When separated they mean "to gather or assemble," and "to stand," respectively. Compounded, they mean, "to come to be in a condition of coherence, continue, endure, exist, [and] hold together," (BDAG). The passage teaches that in Christ all things stand and are held fast together. This includes His will now as much as His will then, in the pre-fall days of the earth. That time was characterized this way in the Bible and specifically, Genesis:

• The birds and beasts were all in harmony with mankind
  • The climate was perfect and set to continue as such without harm to His creation
  • Human life was eternal on earth and in the paradise God created for us
  • There was no death -- remember death came as a result of sin. There was no preadamic earth where plants and animals existed and died
  • There was no hard labor in bringing forth food and shelter, instead the earth brought forth food supplies on its own
  • The Earth was encompassed with a canopy that kept all climates temperate and held in check, Genesis 1:6-7.
  • There was harmony between God and man. There was no sin.
All of these things being consistent with God's power to Hold all things together and in place.

Then sin entered the world
Unfortunately for us and the groaning earth (Rom 8:20-22), God's will now stands within the bounds of the curse that was placed upon earth and humanity when sin entered the world.

• The birds and beasts are not at all in harmony with mankind, we can rule over them, but they also can kill us
  • The climate is no longer perfect and now continues in its imperfect state, sometimes bringing devastation and harm to His creation -- devastation that was unleashed by the canopy pouring rain down upon the earth and the opening of the fountains of the deep (oceans) in underwater volcanic display--both of which brought the great flood and the the catastrophic weather patterns we still see today
  • Human life is now limited to 70 years, or if by God's will and grace, longer; but no longer eternal
  • There is now death that can come at any age
  • There is now hard, continuous labor in bringing forth food and shelter. The law of entropy plagues everything so that nothing can exist without decay
  • The Earth is no longer encompassed with a full canopy that could hold back changes in climate that could bring, drought, famine, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunami's, hurricanes, tornadoes, hail and such
One act of disobedience brought death to all things and disrupted a perfect way of life that God had intended to be a lasting reality for His creation. Just this one action was all it took. Since then, the earth and humanity has struggled under God's disciplinary curse.

But there is a coming morning--a new day on the horizon--wherein the Lord will partially lift this curse, and then in the end, fully lift it from overshadowing and plaguing His creation. It is a day which all people should long for, but it does not happen overnight. That day is spelled out in Rev. 12:7-17.

7 And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, 8 but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer. 9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

10 Then I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, “Now salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of His Christ have come, for the accuser of our brethren, who accused them before our God day and night, has been cast down. 11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death. 12 Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you who dwell in them! Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and the sea! For the devil has come down to you, having great wrath, because he knows that he has a short time.”

13 Now when the dragon saw that he had been cast to the earth, he persecuted the woman who gave birth to the male Child. 14 But the woman was given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness to her place, where she is nourished for a time and times and half a time, from the presence of the serpent. 15 So the serpent spewed water out of his mouth like a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away by the flood. 16 But the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed up the flood which the dragon had spewed out of his mouth. 17 And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ. -- NKJV.

The fact that the above descriptive passage occurs during the Tribulation Period is clearly evident for the following reasons:

• The "tribulation overcomers" of vs. 11 who would face death during that terrible time
  • By the "short time" of the devil in vs.12
  • By the "persecution of Israel, (pictured by the woman who gave birth to the Male Child, Christ) vs. 13
  • By the "place of protection" that God prepares for Israel in the "wilderness" where she is under divine provision for 3.5 years (a time (1) a times (2) and a half of time (1/2), and the divine protection from the Dragon, vs. 14-16
Not able to destroy those who have fled to the wilderness, Satan turns his destructive ways against the gentile believers of the tribulation period, vs. 17. (cf. Matt 24:16-21 for the pre-final 3.5 year flight of Israel to the wilderness and Zech. 14:4-5, for the final flight of remnant Israel to the wilderness at the Second Coming of Christ)

But prefacing all of this action is vss. 7-10. Satan is cast out of heaven and no longer is able to accuse the brethren (cf. Zech 3:1-5 for Satan in action and the decree of God toward the righteous in thwarting accusations against those robed in God's righteousness). In these passages we also see the lifting of the permissive or sometimes called, the passive will of God. In and by His sovereign choosing alone, God has allowed the curse to continue till such time as sovereignly He lifts it. That time has come -- and we rejoice because of it.

Immediately preceding this time when God is decreeing His final judgment against evil, war breaks out in heaven. The angels who serve God night and day under the awesome charge of that mighty and powerful Archangel , Michael, subdue the Prince of the Power of the Air, Satan and his evil cohorts. No place is found for them in heaven any longer, vs. 8. What follows is God sovereignly putting aside His permissive will and all that Jesus was, is, and will always be comes into play. Sin and evil will begin to fade as the power, strength and salvation of God that supremely exist in 'Who He Is' (The I Am) burst forth in the resplendent glory of rule that underscores the true meaning of the Kingdom of God. The final stages of the wrath of God are poured out upon the earth against Satan, his angels, the unbelieving world, the antichrist, the false prophet and all who have freely taken the mark of the beast.

These are the days of vengeance against all evil ever perpetrated on the face of the earth. This begins the time when God's answer to the plea of tribulation saints of the fifth Seal in Rev. 6:9-11 begins to take place. Like the flood of Noah, which swept away all evil that was being continually perpetuated on earth, so the current evils are finally judged and condemned. When complete, at the Second Coming of Christ which ends the horrors of sin being judged, preparations begin to be made for the coming dawn of Christs rule on Earth -- The Millennial Kingdom. And oh what a day it will be.

In the meantime, evil exists by God's permissive will. Sin, its destructive way, the world, the flesh, and the devil continue to perpetrate and promote all that is an affront to God and His holiness--God only allowing it in order for the church to finish its evangelistic efforts to bring as many into the fold of God as possible. Thousands pray daily for the salvation of their friends and loved ones. It is these prayers and God's love for His creation that I believe is holding back the wrath of God even now.

Final observations:

• I think it is amazing that the church is in heaven when sin is being judged, and the way is made open for Israel to finally come into the bond of the New Covenant (Ezek. 20:33-38).
  • I am also convinced that the church in heaven will be standing before the Judgment Seat of Christ (Rom. 14:10, 2 Cor. 5:10) during the days of wrath being poured out on the earth. Perhaps the Judgment Seat occurs only during the first 1/2 of the tribulation, Satan being given one last chance to accuse the brethren, only to be rebuked by God and cast out of His presence showing He has no authority over the blood bought saints of God of who trusted in Christ alone for salvation, (that is you and I brothers and sisters.)
  • During this first 3,5 years of the tribulation the four horsemen of the first four seals unleash the antichrist, war, famine, and disease on earth. The final 3.5 years of the tribulation being more focused on the greater and more destructive supernatural judgments of God from heaven.
  • It is also during this final 3.5 years that in heaven the church becomes the full wedded Bride of Christ.

These are all thoughts that came to mind as I ruminated on the problem of evil. Thank God, that all who accept Jesus as Lord and Savior are privy to knowing that God is in control and that one day evil will not be the rule on earth anymore.

Edited for clarity MH
Great post my sweet brother.
Excellent.
Yes , God is in CONTROL.

mikhen7

Just speaking as a grandmother of a beloved little granddaughter born with an inherited defect ( she will be undergoing hip surgery at the age of 9 months, and will require both hips be replaced by age 12, and she has other serious problems with her bones)

God's ways are higher than ours. We live in a sin sick world after the fall, when a lot of bad stuff happens to people thru no fault of their own. Sometimes God heals here and now, sometimes He doesn't. But He is in control and knows the end from the beginning. And He is utterly trustworthy.

This is another time where we turn to the Bible and trust the Bible over our experiences. What we see and hear and experience down here is NOT all there is.

I turn to John 9
The disciples asked Jesus WHO SINNED????? regarding the man born blind. HIS PARENTS??? OR HIM???
And Jesus said NEITHER!

John 9 New International Version (NIV)
Jesus Heals a Man Born Blind
9 As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.
Oh, that is sad. I am always moved by things like this. I do hope that healing comes in a way that allows her to go about life fully functional. I am glad you also quoted John 9, because so many want to find a reason to blame something...I guess it is natural for us to want to know the reasons. But God promises a better day and until then may as many as will hear His call surrender to Him in humility and faith.

athenasius

We all believe God has a purpose in this. We all prayed for her, and we all knew long before she was born that she had some big challenges. Her parents prepared themselves and prayed and when she was born some things were better than we expected, but the hip joints were worse. Her life is precious and it's a gift from God. None of us get out of here without suffering. Some more than others. The whole family, her parents, grandparents, Aunties and Uncles are all Christians, and all trust God. We are all praying for the surgery to go well.

Her name is Hannah Rose. And she is a joy. She laughs and smiles, and grabs things she shouldn't. She grabbed the salmon salad sandwich filling in her mother's sandwich the other day and shoved a fistfull into her mouth. She's a go getter. Doesn't let much slow her down. She doesn't have collarbones either, but it hasn't stopped her from learning to roll over and pull herself along trying to learn crawling. Last week she was busy trying to play with her 4 older sister's plastic horses and succeeding in gumming one near to death by slobber. A very sturdy little young lady in spite of the challenges. She is such a gift from God, imperfections and all.

ahlecce

So I’m one of those babies that was born with “defects”. I was born with a very rare, complex heart defect called Double Inlet Left Ventricle, Transposition of the Great Arteries, and other defects. When I was born, my parents were told that I wouldn’t live to be two. I am now 47. God has plans that we do not know.
Sadly, parents whose child is diagnosed with a single Ventricle heart defect are offered abortions now. I’m so thankful that when I was born my parents did not know about my heart until after I was born.
Let me tell you about the good things that have happened because of my heart defect. The best thing is that I know the Lord and am saved!
When I was younger I had a great nurse named Holly. My little sister really admired Holly. My sister decided to become a nurse like Holly, and then went on to become a Nurse Practitioner. She has used things that she has seen and learned from my heart and times in the hospital to recognize things in others and get them the care that they need.
I have been able to tell other families of my journey with heart and how God has been with me. I have met some wonderful fellow saved Christians who also have heart defects.
I have a full life. I’ve been married for over twenty years, have the best furkids, have a bachelor’s degree, and work part-time.
So when you see a baby with a “defect” remember that God made them just the way He wanted to. He has a purpose for all of us.
I have had 5 open heart surgeries, am on my third pacemakers, and I have what is considered half of a heart because I only have one Ventricle, and I have one working lung. I’m so thankful that God made me the way He did!!! I have learned to depend fully on Him and know that no matter what, He is in control!! The good that has come from my “defect” has far outweighed the bad. God doesn’t make mistakes. I don’t consider my heart to have a defect. It is exactly as God wanted it to be.

ItIsFinished!

So I’m one of those babies that was born with “defects”. I was born with a very rare, complex heart defect called Double Inlet Left Ventricle, Transposition of the Great Arteries, and other defects. When I was born, my parents were told that I wouldn’t live to be two. I am now 47. God has plans that we do not know.
Sadly, parents whose child is diagnosed with a single Ventricle heart defect are offered abortions now. I’m so thankful that when I was born my parents did not know about my heart until after I was born.
Let me tell you about the good things that have happened because of my heart defect. The best thing is that I know the Lord and am saved!
When I was younger I had a great nurse named Holly. My little sister really admired Holly. My sister decided to become a nurse like Holly, and then went on to become a Nurse Practitioner. She has used things that she has seen and learned from my heart and times in the hospital to recognize things in others and get them the care that they need.
I have been able to tell other families of my journey with heart and how God has been with me. I have met some wonderful fellow saved Christians who also have heart defects.
I have a full life. I’ve been married for over twenty years, have the best furkids, have a bachelor’s degree, and work part-time.
So when you see a baby with a “defect” remember that God made them just the way He wanted to. He has a purpose for all of us.
I have had 5 open heart surgeries, am on my third pacemakers, and I have what is considered half of a heart because I only have one Ventricle, and I have one working lung. I’m so thankful that God made me the way He did!!! I have learned to depend fully on Him and know that no matter what, He is in control!! The good that has come from my “defect” has far outweighed the bad. God doesn’t make mistakes. I don’t consider my heart to have a defect. It is exactly as God wanted it to be.
Amen friend.
May the Lord continue to bless.

mikhen7

Thank you for the wonderful testimony. When we trust in the Lord and make Him our refuge, His endless supply of grace overflows through us to others. That is how I feel about the testimony. Thanks for the blessing.

Endangered

My father was a Baptist minister. Both my mother and father were devout Chrustians all their lives. My father died after 10 years with Parkinsons. My mother died after almost 10 years with Alzheimers.
Neither was bitter and neither blamed God.
I took care of them the last 2.5 years and I learned a lot from their positive attitude in the face of mortal illnesses.
Why does this happen to devoted Christians? I only know God is just and one day I will understand it all.

athenasius

AMEN and AMEN AND AMEN!!!!!