Why Are Walmart & Other Major U. S. Retailers Canceling Billions Of Dollars In Orders As Summer Comes To An End?

MapleLeaf

That's why it's first in first out. Just because you have a bunch of food stashed away doesn't mean that you can't use it. You just don't want to depend on it. And after you use some of the food you replace it with the same.
I am at the point of having to replace stuff too so I am starting to use the older stuff on my prep shelf. I wish I had done that before inflation really had hit. Oh well.

ChildofLight

I recently realized so many of the canned and dried items I bought years ago expired. Not just by the date on the can, just REALLY old. Unfortunately tossed most of it and am starting again. :sad
The dates are actually “best used by”. The can food will actually last much longer than that. My sister had salmon 3 years past the date and it was still good. I have some I canned 5 years ago and still eating on it. Make sure do the sniff and visual test.

Baby Yoda

Watchman
The dates are actually “best used by”. The can food will actually last much longer than that. My sister had salmon 3 years past the date and it was still good. I have some I canned 5 years ago and still eating on it. Make sure do the sniff and visual test.

Thanks, it really wasn't that much but some of the items were from when Timmy was little so we're talking over 20 years. (stuff we don't eat) So better safe than sorry.

Andy C

Not me. It drives my wife a little crazy, but I only have a little leeway past the exp date, but only by a few months then out it goes. I have to do my disposal of old items early in the morning:spy while the boss is still sleeping…

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Not me. It drives my wife a little crazy, but I only have a little leeway past the exp date, but only by a few months then out it goes. I have to do my disposal of old items early in the morning:spy while the boss is still sleeping…

I don't pay much attention to expiration dates on most things, unless it's something acidic like tomato sauce. Even then the product might be fine even a few years past the expiration date. I rarely buy chips, but when I do I definitely look at the expiration dates. Used to be you could reach to the back and get the freshest bag. Nowadays, as often as not stockers seem to put the new stuff right in front of the old. If I was a store manager, that's a practice I would personally police.

heisable2

I belong to Sam's club. I order my non food and food items online and don't have to deal with driving to the store. Not sure about water.

Today I went to Sam's to get water because a hurricane is coming to Florida. The line went from one end of the store to the other. Picked up some chicken breast packs...got 3 and happy they were in stock. Came home and pressure canned 8 quarts.

Canning lasts a long time. Also vacuum seal. Food stays longer.

The point? Order online

MapleLeaf

I have a can of soup that expired in 2018. I plan on eating it this week. haha. We'll see. I think I have already cycled stuff in the past because the cans at the back of the shelf all said 2021 on it. Only 1 year late. LOL I am cycling through old boxes of mac n' cheese too. I only have two tiny bags of actual prepper food -- dried banana slices that should last 25 years. Bananas are the only healthy foods I know for sure both my kids will eat. I also have several bags of frozen veggies and fruit in the freezer along with cans of peas and carrots. My kids can stomach those. I truly wish I could buy some of the real prepper stuff. I imagine they'd be salty with all those preservatives but even a few months' supply for each of us would make me feel better. I would even take the standard 72 hours each as a backup source.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Have a coworker who pushes every food safety rule known to man. Surprisingly she doesn't call in sick as often as you'd expect.

I rarely wash my hands, eat stuff that's fallen on the floor, ignore expiration dates for the most part, and I rarely get sick. I never use that stuff that kills bacteria, including good bacteria, on my hands. I think that stuff is a really bad idea yet it's become quite mainstream. As a food preparer in our kitchen, I do wash my hands, often many times. I do wipe down wood cutting boards with a solution that's 10% bleach, and otherwise practice good habits that are considered common.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
Was a dairy manager at my first employer. Rotating stock was critical. I carried that to most of our pantry. No, I do not rotate paper products.

Cans and jars with dents on seam/edge of lid were never purchased. Jars could have crushed glass inside. Cans with side dents are fine otherwise the seal could be broken.
Puffy means spoiled unless its aged swiss. No mater how fresh, that swiss is puffy by design. But then I normally avoid mold, fungus, and mushrooms too.

In all that, it is amazing what a boy scout troop could consume without negative health effects.

Back