Why Are Horror Movies So Popular?

Goodboy

Won't Be Long Now!
There is no actual connection. A person can certainly watch horror movies and still be saved.

And yet, I cannot help but conclude that the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit within a truly saved individual would naturally cause him or her to become highly repulsed by gory images of evil and death.
While the Holy Spirit can surely help a Christian to refrain from sin or watching ungodly things, in my humble opinion the Holy Spirit does not stop you from ones sinful ways. I base my conclusion on many verses, but here are some that kind of make that point. Paul is making the point that a fornicating Christian is sinning against their own body where the Holy Spirit is residing. So he is extorting saved Christian, not to do that.

1 Corinthians 6:18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1 Corinthians6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
Before Christ, I used to find horror movies entertaining. Now, I don't care for them. All they do is glorify fear and evil. To me it's just dumb. I just laugh because God is so much more powerful than anything they can dream up. It's funny when movies try to make the devil, evil, and demons seem so powerful but God is always off in some distant place doing something else with His hands tied by some made up legalism. Very dumb indeed.

It's sad that all that junk is pushed so hard around Halloween. I don't want my little ones getting spooked, letting that nonsense in my house. I figure anything that is not good for them is probably not good for us even as adults.

I like to watch crime shows like 48 hours, cops, forensic files, etc. and these definitely have enough evil when you see what humanity is capable of. I do enjoy seeing justice being served however...

Last edited:

Umbrella Girl

Now we see through a glass, darkly; (1 Cor 13:12)
While the Holy Spirit can surely help a Christian to refrain from sin or watching ungodly things, in my humble opinion the Holy Spirit does not stop you from ones sinful ways. I base my conclusion on many verses, but here are some that kind of make that point. Paul is making the point that a fornicating Christian is sinning against their own body where the Holy Spirit is residing. So he is extorting saved Christian, not to do that.

1 Corinthians 6:18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1 Corinthians6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
I agree that the Holy Spirit does not stop us from doing anything. He never violates our free will...

And yet, as I said before, I believe that His indwelling presence within a saved soul would begin to cause he or she to become repulsed by gory images of evil and death, and would no longer enjoy such things, as before salvation.

Umbrella Girl

Im sure all of us on a daily basis, do things that repulse the Holy Spirit, such as sin, any sin, small or big.
Yes, we do.

But anyway, I feel like I’ve drifted away from my original question. That is, what drives a human soul to seek out and enjoy gory images of evil and death?

I have always been repulsed by such things. NOT that I think myself superior because of it. I’m simply trying to understand why so many people are drawn to it, as I totally cannot fathom it...

ByGod'sGrace

under His wings - Psalm 91:4
I saw The Ring in high school and have regretted it to this day....it took me years and years to be able to get a glass of water in the middle of the night. I was afraid a demon would impersonate her in the reflection in the mirror. Anything that promotes or elevates the power of evil hurts my heart and makes my soul feel sick.

When I was 8, our family saw the Jurassic Park movie. The T-Rex part scared me so much and had nightmares for years about a T-rex chasing me and yelling at me to slow down so he could eat me. Kind of funny now that I think of it, but I remember those nights waking up in a sweat. I was such a softie. Now that movie doesn't scare me (although the raptor kitchen scene is always scary!!).

I don't watch rated R movies and NEVER HORROR. The most I can handle is stuff like "Signs" with no gore and "North by Northwest" where it is mostly a thriller.

ByGod'sGrace

under His wings - Psalm 91:4
Yes, we do.

But anyway, I feel like I’ve drifted away from my original question. That is, what drives a human soul to seek out and enjoy gory images of evil and death?

I have always been repulsed by such things. NOT that I think myself superior because of it. I’m simply trying to understand why so many people are drawn to it, as I totally cannot fathom it...
I don't know...I honestly don't. Maybe some people are less sensitive than others? The Old Testament is filled with tons of murdering other peoples and that is real life, so maybe God made some people less emotionally affected by gore(?). That's the only thing I can think of. I don't think we should fill our minds with anything evil, though.

Lovin Jesus

I have heard that many people like horror movies because they derive some sort of thrill from being scared. But I think it goes much deeper...and much darker...than that.

I'm not talking about old school horror movies such as "Frankenstein" and "Dracula", although I'm sure even those are not exactly pleasing to God either. But those old movies were extremely mild in comparison to modern horror movies. The over the top portrayal of evil and intensive gore were never seen in those movies. Of course, they didn't have the special effects available to them as movie makers today have at their disposal. But even if they did, back in the day, I wonder what the public reaction would have been to such grotesque displays of horror? Nowadays, many people are completely desensitized to it, which is really scary and sad.

I've seen glimpses of certain modern horror movies, and I regret those glimpses. They left me with an overwhelmingly sick feeling within my soul, and the images never left me entirely, even from many years ago. I have never been able to watch any movies involving occult horror, science fiction horror, or any other type of horror, especially involving aliens. Yes, it's only "make believe", and yet God did not create our souls to intake such images and ideas. It can only have a damaging effect, in my opinion. I don't know what it is, but I am extremely sensitive to this sort of thing, perhaps even more so than the average person.

One movie in particular stands out to me, and I've never even see it, but I'd heard of it: "Hell Raiser" from 1987. I looked up what the movie was about and saw images of it. The movie is full of graphic gore and psychological terror to a degree that is unfathomable to me. How anybody with a soul created image of God could actually seek out and greatly enjoy such stories and images is something which I cannot even begin to comprehend.

Furthermore, those who act in, write, and direct such movies - what kinds of souls must such individuals have in order to create such God forsaken filth? I absolutely believe it's all DEMONIC in origin. Where else could any of it originate from?

Every day, I thank God - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - for being my SAFE PLACE of love, light, and life... :inlove
You have a good point in everything you say. The horror movies, particularly those having to do with demons and dark forces are created by people using their imagination for the creation of their scripts. But I’ve often wondered how much of that creativity is really influenced by demons themselves. Also, if a person can watch them, and are not affected by them to bother their conscience, then I believe a Christian does have the Holy Spirit to convict them. I pray people will be delivered from this type of entertainment

Lovin Jesus

The Holy Spirit will not stop someone from committing sin but a believer with the Holy Spirit in them do get a conviction from the Holy Spirit that leaves them with making the choice to go through with the sin or abstain from it.

MilkyWay1

I LOVED horror movies when I was younger and a non-Christian. But I think it was easy to like them because a) I enjoyed the thrill of being scared, and b) I didn’t actually believe demons existed. Once you become born again and understand that the devil is a real thing, those movies are no longer “exciting” to watch. It’s not fun to watch shows about the horror that actually exists in our world. And once you’ve felt the light and love of Christ, you want that light, and to shun the darkness.

Now I have a question for y’all. Harry Potter - fine or not? The husband and I can’t seem to agree on that one!

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
what drives a human soul to seek out and enjoy gory images of evil and death?
This gets a little theological. But this is how I have rationalized it over the years taking account of the different teachings I have heard and studies I have done on the subject; it could be wrong however as I am just a man. It can get fairly complicated and I am still working out my personal doctrine on it.

The Soul (mind, intellect, personality) is the battlefield and the Flesh and Spirit war for it. This is where the party is and spiritual war takes place. Your Soul will tend toward, prefer, and develop into what you feed it. We are saved and have the Holy Spirit which has sealed us for redemption and eternal life by the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross but the battle still rages (Satan can still steal and destroy even though we are saved, primarily through deception). Before we received the Holy Spirit we just had a Spirit. This is what connected us to "spiritual things." This is why unbelievers seek false teachings, false religions, demons, angels, idols, etc. Their Spirit draws them to that stuff and their Soul makes the decision to entertain these things. Most of the time this Spirit will not draw us to God because of our sinful fallen nature (I believe this is where the power of prayer comes in), I think Satan also likes to work a lot in this realm to lead us into deception (this is why we need to filter everything through the Word of God, it is the only thing safe). Deception/lies are anything that isn't the Truth of God, the Word, Christ Jesus.

Now, I have heard from some teachers that the Holy Spirit actually resides within "our Spirit" and this is the part that communicates directly with God. This would make sense because we can still be drawn to the ungodly things I mentioned above. It also makes sense because the Holy Spirit is a gentleman and He is not pushy and never forces His will on you. You have the choice to choose "which spirit" you will believe in your Soul.

So the answer to your complex question is a combination. I believe we are drawn to seek out and enjoy evil, gore, and death due to our fallen sinful nature, this nature is a combination of our Flesh, Soul, and Spirit (not the Holy Spirit which convicts our Spirit). I think some people naturally tend toward this stuff in the way they were created. I think some people develop it. In some people it is a combination, these individuals usually have the most intense attraction to that stuff.

There is good Biblical evidence to back this theory up and I am always up for some iron sharpening. It is a very interesting discussion.

Blessings in Christ.

Umbrella Girl

This gets a little theological. But this is how I have rationalized it over the years taking account of the different teachings I have heard and studies I have done on the subject; it could be wrong however as I am just a man. It can get fairly complicated and I am still working out my personal doctrine on it.

The Soul (mind, intellect, personality) is the battlefield and the Flesh and Spirit war for it. This is where the party is and spiritual war takes place. Your Soul will tend toward, prefer, and develop into what you feed it. We are saved and have the Holy Spirit which has sealed us for redemption and eternal life by the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross but the battle still rages (Satan can still steal and destroy even though we are saved, primarily through deception). Before we received the Holy Spirit we just had a Spirit. This is what connected us to "spiritual things." This is why unbelievers seek false teachings, false religions, demons, angels, idols, etc. Their Spirit draws them to that stuff and their Soul makes the decision to entertain these things. Most of the time this Spirit will not draw us to God because of our sinful fallen nature (I believe this is where the power of prayer comes in), I think Satan also likes to work a lot in this realm to lead us into deception (this is why we need to filter everything through the Word of God, it is the only thing safe). Deception/lies are anything that isn't the Truth of God, the Word, Christ Jesus.

Now, I have heard from some teachers that the Holy Spirit actually resides within "our Spirit" and this is the part that communicates directly with God. This would make sense because we can still be drawn to the ungodly things I mentioned above. It also makes sense because the Holy Spirit is a gentleman and He is not pushy and never forces His will on you. You have the choice to choose "which spirit" you will believe in your Soul.

So the answer to your complex question is a combination. I believe we are drawn to seek out and enjoy evil, gore, and death due to our fallen sinful nature, this nature is a combination of our Flesh, Soul, and Spirit (not the Holy Spirit which convicts our Spirit). I think some people naturally tend toward this stuff in the way they were created. I think some people develop it. In some people it is a combination, these individuals usually have the most intense attraction to that stuff.

There is good Biblical evidence to back this theory up and I am always up for some iron sharpening. It is a very interesting discussion.

Blessings in Christ.
Thank you for your very interesting and informative reply! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Annie

Be A Berean!
I LOVED horror movies when I was younger and a non-Christian. But I think it was easy to like them because a) I enjoyed the thrill of being scared, and b) I didn’t actually believe demons existed. Once you become born again and understand that the devil is a real thing, those movies are no longer “exciting” to watch. It’s not fun to watch shows about the horror that actually exists in our world. And once you’ve felt the light and love of Christ, you want that light, and to shun the darkness.

Now I have a question for y’all. Harry Potter - fine or not? The husband and I can’t seem to agree on that one!
:nono on Harry Potter ....... instructing children on the use of witchcraft

usoutpost31

For casual movie goers I believe it is about the adrenaline rush of being made to jump out of their seat. For some, even Christians who do watch those movies, they've worked it out that nothing on screen is actually happening, no one is actually getting hurt so for them it's easier to tolerate. That may also be (partially) a reason why screenwriters, directors and actors can be OK with creating such things, for them it's all make believe.

I watched a lot when I was younger but very little anymore. I would agree that to consume such things is not pleasing to God, and when we do, our hearts and minds are not where they should be.

Batman

I used to tell our young son that Horror Movies were described that way because they were horrible. I wanted him to guard his eye gate, his heart, and his memories. At 23 he watches this garbage all the time. I'm very much against it and if I was emperor of America they would be banned.

Twalle

I have a serious issue with what is being broadcasted on TV. I have Dish TV and I don't have an expensive package, but, most of what is offered is what I call junk TV. There are scads of programs all about the evil things in this world and I steer clear of those. This is Hollywood and New York City putting garbage out for all of us to see. What we have is a multitude of people looking for something in all of the wrong places. I called Dish TV and complained about my package and was told that they purchase packages themselves and offer it up to us viewers. I was told that Dish has no choice in this matter. For the most part I am thoroughly disgusted with TV. Consequently, I don't watch much of it. Why would anybody want to watch stuff like Freddy Kruger killing people? UGH!! All we really have to do is watch the evening news and we can see all the killing and mayhem our county/world has to offer. The stations, CBS, NBC and ABC all offer the same junk, so I find myself watching re-runs of the Andy Griffith Show, Perry Mason etc. At least with those programs there is a bit of integrity and morality which is so very absent in our world today. It is easy to understand why reporters, such as Dan Rather got away from reporting the evening news. The higher ups in corporate TV are setting the tone for what is offered and dictate what is being said.

Footsteps

You have identified the point at which horror movies became devil movies and that is when "fun" became "unsettling". I'll pick The Exorcist as the scariest movie ever. It could be argued that the demon left the girl so "they all lived happily ever after". But at what cost? Two dead priests and a murder. This is not Biblical victory. This type of film emphasizes the power of Satan and denies the overcoming victory of Christ. The viewer is left with no real hope that good wins in the end.
Harry Potter? Rated PG? The G stands for "guidance". So is there more guidance regarding the real nature of witchcraft - or more money to be made continuing a series of "cute" battles between good and evil with the line drawn between the two not clearly defined, and always in doubt?

Kerbluey

I think it depends on how sensitive a person one is. If horror disturbs you (you in general, not anyone here) you can’t comprehend it not disturbing others. For you it would be a sin. For me, it isn’t. I don’t like gore (it’s boring and unimaginative, I’m not offended by it), but I love a good scary suspenseful movie that gives me a couple of jumps.

I look at it this way. If everyone was disturbed by “morbid” things we wouldn’t have detectives or coroners or disease researchers or doctors or psychologists, etc. And no, scary movies don’t accomplish anything, but they’re an example of the type of person I’m referring to. Now if you want to really scare me put a closeup of a lotus seed pod on my screen and watch me throw my iPad to the floor and stamp it to death in terror. Trypophobia, people. Look it up at your own risk.

Current events do scare me in the way that is bad for me. I have to take a break from the news regularly because it destroys my peace. I guess it’s hard to take any movie horror seriously with much worse horror available 24/7 on the news.

Footsteps

There is a huge target audience that producers of "paranormal” incidents rely on for steady revenue. I believe this audience is looking for answers about the origin of life, the purpose of alien or ghostly encounters, and who’s in charge of the universe. But the God of the Bible is not the answer they want because they are involved in immoral acts that the real God will not honor. Also they may have received certain powers from the “Dark Side” that they are unwilling to abandon in favor of a God that wants you to know that righteous power comes from Him exclusively. The fascination for ancient aliens, entities that could provide “the answers” (Bigfoot do you suppose?) make no challenge at all to your personal behavior - they merely bait the seeker with secret codes, hidden powers, and elite knowledge known only by “Them”. Taking the bait is alluring and promising - but leads only down different paths to dead ends.