Why Are Horror Movies So Popular?

Umbrella Girl

Now we see through a glass, darkly; (1 Cor 13:12)
I have heard that many people like horror movies because they derive some sort of thrill from being scared. But I think it goes much deeper...and much darker...than that.

I'm not talking about old school horror movies such as "Frankenstein" and "Dracula", although I'm sure even those are not exactly pleasing to God either. But those old movies were extremely mild in comparison to modern horror movies. The over the top portrayal of evil and intensive gore were never seen in those movies. Of course, they didn't have the special effects available to them as movie makers today have at their disposal. But even if they did, back in the day, I wonder what the public reaction would have been to such grotesque displays of horror? Nowadays, many people are completely desensitized to it, which is really scary and sad.

I've seen glimpses of certain modern horror movies, and I regret those glimpses. They left me with an overwhelmingly sick feeling within my soul, and the images never left me entirely, even from many years ago. I have never been able to watch any movies involving occult horror, science fiction horror, or any other type of horror, especially involving aliens. Yes, it's only "make believe", and yet God did not create our souls to intake such images and ideas. It can only have a damaging effect, in my opinion. I don't know what it is, but I am extremely sensitive to this sort of thing, perhaps even more so than the average person.

One movie in particular stands out to me, and I've never even see it, but I'd heard of it: "Hell Raiser" from 1987. I looked up what the movie was about and saw images of it. The movie is full of graphic gore and psychological terror to a degree that is unfathomable to me. How anybody with a soul created image of God could actually seek out and greatly enjoy such stories and images is something which I cannot even begin to comprehend.

Furthermore, those who act in, write, and direct such movies - what kinds of souls must such individuals have in order to create such God forsaken filth? I absolutely believe it's all DEMONIC in origin. Where else could any of it originate from?

Every day, I thank God - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - for being my SAFE PLACE of love, light, and life... :inlove

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
Have prayed for Clive Barker, Quentin Tarantino, Lars von Trier and folks involved in the making of those films ....pre being saved I watched a fair few of them (although I really didn't like Hellraiser, to put it mildly!!!!! I had a friend in my teens who loved horror and he put that film on and I couldn't actually look at the screen for a lot of it!)...both me and him were 15 at the time and neither his grandma who adopted him nor my mum knew we were watching that stuff ....

I wouldn't say horror or gore was my favourite genre at the time but I kind of grew desensitised to what I was watching. ...in fact I was kind of fascinated by psychological horror and that kind of thing, nasty plot twists etc ....used to watch the likes of Alien etc back in the "tomboy rock chick" days when I used to be seen as "one of the lads" including many games of 8 ball pool and drinking sessions etc ...so I would hang out and watch films as part of that....

Now??

I detest those kind of films now because they revel in darkness and promote fear and evil .. .....and also detest music I used to love too - which I can now see clearly promotes evil.... actively flee anything that might bring me into contact with such stuff ....it's horrible when they even show 1 minute adverts of gory movies - I hate even the noise of such stuff now - it makes me feel nauseous....it's like the Lord has done a **major switch round** job in me!!!

I now HATE what I used to LOVE. And that can only be the work of the Holy Spirit....

Both the kids know I love a good laugh and will watch comedy with them but have told them both I no longer do horror full stop! Also have tried to tell them to watch what they watch ...soooooooo hard trying to parent them - so much evil promoted as good ....

To me Ephesians 5:11 sums it all up!

Have nothing to do with the unfruitful works of darkness but rather expose them ....

Last edited:

Accepted

I also think that allowing those images into our minds is destructive, and cannot be supported by Scripture.

I remember my mother forbidding me to ever watch “Twilight Zone” again after an episode of a “doll that wouldn’t die.” I think it had Telly Sevalas in it, and was pretty mild compared to anything we have now! But it infected me with fear.

Then, as a know-it-all college student, I made the huge mistake of watching “The Exorcist” when they played it for free in my dorm, for all the students. Again, I was infected with fear, and learned my lesson. Never again!! We are to stay away from evil!

Umbrella Girl

I also think that allowing those images into our minds is destructive, and cannot be supported by Scripture.

I remember my mother forbidding me to ever watch “Twilight Zone” again after an episode of a “doll that wouldn’t die.” I think it had Telly Sevalas in it, and was pretty mild compared to anything we have now! But it infected me with fear.

Then, as a know-it-all college student, I made the huge mistake of watching “The Exorcist” when they played it for free in my dorm, for all the students. Again, I was infected with fear, and learned my lesson. Never again!! We are to stay away from evil!
Yes, I remember that episode of the Twilight Zone, and it terrified me! And yes, "infecting" the soul with fear is an accurate way of describing it.

TimeWarpWife

I was forbidden to watch scary movies and TV shows when I was a kid because I watched an episode of Dark Shadows that gave me nightmares and kept my family up for three or four nights. To this day, I can see the character Jeremy reaching his hand up out of the grave. Fast forward to 1976, and the same thing happened after seeing the movie Carrie when she reached her hand up out of the grave. However, I kept it to my 15-year old self that I was having trouble sleeping because I didn't want to get in trouble with my parents again. :lol Btw, my bff and I weren't old enough to get into see Carrie so our moms took us. Actually, watching them react to scary scenes was better than the movie itself. Anyway, that was pretty much the end of me watching horror movies, especially with all the graphic violence, witchcraft, ghosts, demonic possession, etc. that fill present-day movies. I prefer the old 1930s and 1940s "scary" movies.

Andy C

In 1965, my mom let my older sister take me to the movie theatre just down the street. I was 8 and she was 12. We thought we were going to see a nature movie, so my mom was ok with us going alone. Yeah....the nature movie? “The Birds” by Alfred Hitchcock. To this day I can still see the birds pecking out the eye on a dead guy. We made it through the movie, but for a few years, I was a little terrified of black birds.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
In 1965, my mom let my older sister take me to the movie theatre just down the street. I was 8 and she was 12. We thought we were going to see a nature movie, so my mom was ok with us going alone. Yeah....the nature movie? “The Birds” by Alfred Hitchcock. To this day I can still see the birds pecking out the eye on a dead guy. We made it through the movie, but for a few years, I was a little terrified of black birds.

I've only heard about the movie and black birds in large numbers terrify me. I avoid horror movies. The world is a scary enough place as it is without adding more scariness to it.

fl2007rn

I used to watch scary movies as a kid but they were all pretty tame compared to today's standards. (Gozilla, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Frankenstein, Etc) Once I became a nurse I could not watch any more scary movies because work was frightening enough for me. Even though I am retired I don't watch scary movies to this day.

Umbrella Girl

I dont really understand the connection between scary movies and salvation?
There is no actual connection. A person can certainly watch horror movies and still be saved.

And yet, I cannot help but conclude that the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit within a truly saved individual would naturally cause him or her to become highly repulsed by gory images of evil and death.

Andy C

There is no actual connection. A person can certainly watch horror movies and still be saved.

And yet, I cannot help but conclude that the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit within a truly saved individual would naturally cause him or her to become highly repulsed by gory images of evil and death.
Im sure all of us on a daily basis, do things that repulse the Holy Spirit, such as sin, any sin, small or big.