White House threats led to Turkey-Israel rapprochement

Ben D

White House threats led to Turkey-Israel rapprochement

JERUSALEM — Israel and Turkey on Dec. 17 resumed formal diplomatic relations, but it was only under massive and consistent pressure on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu by President Barack Obama and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry.

The cost to Israel has already been immense in terms of relations with Greece and other states, so the question is now how long the U.S.-pressured rapprochement will last, and with what did the White House threaten Netanyahu to win the deal?

The U.S. pressure on Israel to restore diplomatic relations — and thus resume discussions on the supply of Israeli natural gas to Turkey — was to ensure that Turkey could withstand Russia’s sanctions against Turkey in the wake of the Turkish-U.S. shootdown of the Russian Air Force Su-24 strike aircraft on Nov. 24.

Turkey’s sole substantive concession was to remove Hamas leader Saleh Arouri from his office in Ankara.

Russia, clearly, was unhappy with the Israeli-Turkish rapprochement, but was also aware of just how much pressure the Obama-Kerry team put on Netanyahu.

Significantly, Prime Minister Netanyahu had a reputation in Washington as one who could, and would, stand up to Obama. That he could not do so on this occasion indicated the level of threats to which he was subjected by Washington

http://www.worldtribune.com/shifting-sands-under-the-turkey-israel-rapprochement/

Watching and Waiting

I would like to know what the pressure was. Was it a threat to leave them alone diplomatically and remove the alliance?
If so, it might end up being something Israel decides they no longer need or can expect from BO and then end up in the very situation we are waiting for.
Israel all alone.

Timna

Timna

I'll be so glad when Obama gets out of office. He's disgraceful with the way he treat Israel. :tsk
Unfortunately, imo, Genesis 12:3 will be applied to Hussein one atomic second after he passes from this life (again unfortunately) , and after he has basically persecuted God's Chosen People (certainly verbally).

Suzanne

I would like to know what the pressure was. Was it a threat to leave them alone diplomatically and remove the alliance?
If so, it might end up being something Israel decides they no longer need or can expect from BO and then end up in the very situation we are waiting for.
Israel all alone.

The pressure that Obama put on Israel may have had to do with Israel's yearly military equipment that it gets from the US. I believe that bill was signed by Obama very recently.

Timna

The pressure that Obama put on Israel may have had to do with Israel's yearly military equipment that it gets from the US. I believe that bill was signed by Obama very recently.
Yes, with this sordid administration, concerning Israel, there is always a "quid pro quo," spoken or unspoken, but hinted at and understood.

Last edited: