- Where’s Your Treasure –

Abed_nego2

Matthew 6:20-21, “Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. “Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also”

Sometime ago Fortune magazine did their cover story on Warren Buffet, who at the time was considered the world’s second richest man and announced he would donate 85% of his $44 billion fortune to 5 charity foundations. Commenting on his generosity, Buffet said, "There is more than one way to get to heaven and this is a great way." Mr. Buffet may know a lot about making money, but if he really means what he says, he knows absolutely nothing about how to get into heaven. The Bible says salvation doesn’t depend on our generosity, but on God’s generosity. You don’t get to heaven by what you give to God, but by what God through Jesus Christ gives to you.

It is so easy getting caught up in trying to acquire wealth and position in this life, that a person can lose their perspective on what is really important. Jesus said it is almost impossible for a rich person to be saved. The rich have already received their consolation or reward. Love for earthly wealth robs a person of spiritual wealth. Even if one does acquire wealth, so often the heart is still empty. David, the author of Psalm 37, cautioned the poor and needy not to be envious of the rich and prosperous. In time, the cargo manifest of the ungodly will be uncovered, revealing that their lives contain nothing of enduring value. My friend, this life is only the beginning of an everlasting existence if you’re a child of God, through the blood of God’s spotless Lamb, Jesus Christ. So don’t look longingly at the ungodly and their riches because they have no lasting treasures.

Further thoughts:

I read about a band of thieves in France who got away with more than $3.5 million dollars; however they had a big problem. Their loot was in French coins worth only about $2 each and weighting a total of 17 tons! A Paris newspaper taunted the bandits with this statement, “You can’t buy a chateau, a car, or even a par of crocodile shoes with bags of change. And if you go out to celebrate your coup, the owner of the smallest café will become suspicious before you drop the tenth coin on the counter.” The article continued, “Their punishment is included in their success. They will have to spend their loot franc by franc. They can buy millions of bottles of soft drinks, but what else?” Those robbers had what might be called a wealth of poverty. Although they were rich, they couldn’t spend their money for anything worthwhile.

Their situation reminds me of people who spend a lifetime accumulating things while making no provision for eternity. They have material wealth but are spiritually poor. How much better to heed Jesus’ words, “lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth not rust destroys and where thieves do no break in and steal”. My beloved anything else is just a wealth of poverty.

I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold,
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands,
I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hands - Miller

Invest your life in what pays eternal dividends

moosejive

The Bible is the only book you would need, if you had to choose only one book to have in your life. It has it all....wisdom, romance, morals for living, humor, action/adventure, etc. It covers any topic you might want to read about. I like reading your short devotions Abed_nego2....:thankyou