Where is heaven?

Savedbigrace

Hi everyone, I’m a fairly new believer and recent world events are really making me fearful about the end times. I have a lot of questions about the rapture, but I guess I’ll just start with this one.

Is heaven a literal place? And when we are raptured we all go “up”, but depending on where we are on the earth “up” is a different direction… ie: Southern Hemisphere vs northern hemisphere.

I hope this doesn’t sound silly, but I take the word literally and I want to understand

I guess another question is…
If the point of being a Christian is to spend eternity with Christ, and the rapture is the way Christians will get there in this age, then what’s stopping someone from committing suicide to get there faster?

I know that’s a lot, but any insight would be appreciated! I’m eager for the truth.

Misty S

Yes, Heaven is a literal place according to God's own Word. We can deduce thaat it will be a plane far superior to our own three dimensional limitations. Not merely "up".

What is stopping suicide? Conviction that the would be self-killer is not God and should not ordain their own death. While not the unforgivable sin, your rewards will be diminished, therefore eternity negatively effected. Not to mention the lives you will destroy with your self-inflicted destruction.

Katie8758

Hello! And I am so happy to hear of your recent salvation :)
Yes heaven is a real, literal place. Just think of the prayer Jesus taught us to pray: Our Father, who ART IN HEAVEN, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth AS IT IS IN HEAVEN.
Then we also need to remember John 3:12 - I"f I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?"

As far as "up" goes... Up will be in whatever direction it needs to be in order for you to reach Jesus. If you are concerned about possible physical obstacles, we need to remember that Jesus was able to walk through walls in His glorified body. (John 20:19-20).

And as far as wanting to be with Jesus even quicker via suicide, let me tell you, I can relate. I felt the EXACT same way when I was born again. I kept thinking about how I love God and Jesus more than this horrible life, this awful fallen world... I want to be with my one TRUE LOVE!! They LEFT ME HERE!! I am on the incorrect side of the veil and I just wanna go home!! Hate this place!!
I firmly believe that is one of the reasons why Jesus is SO close to the brokenhearted...to protect His flock especially when they are so raw and vulnerable as newborn Christians.
So I prayed about it. I even yelled about it. I literally screamed "DON'T LEAVE ME HERE!!!"
He answered me, in His own time, in His own sweet way.
My husband randomly walked up to me out of the blue one day, and for zero reason whatsoever, he put his hand on my shoulder and said "You are valued".
He NEVER talks like that.
So I dug deeper into my bible. And learned that we, the chosen, the redeemed, are INSANELY valuable here on this earth due to the price that was paid to redeem us. And God and Jesus want us here for the timebeing to be a part of and make up the body of Christ. He needs us to use the gifts that were given to us by the Holy Spirit to help Him fight this spiritual war and help save as many others as well can.
You are SO SO valuable to God. He loves you so much He gave His Son for you, and to waste the opportunity to grown in faith and "Follow" Him and show Him via our actions just how much we love Him too, would be such a shame.

homemaker

Hi everyone, I’m a fairly new believer and recent world events are really making me fearful about the end times. I have a lot of questions about the rapture, but I guess I’ll just start with this one.

Is heaven a literal place? And when we are raptured we all go “up”, but depending on where we are on the earth “up” is a different direction… ie: Southern Hemisphere vs northern hemisphere.

I hope this doesn’t sound silly, but I take the word literally and I want to understand

If the point of being a Christian is to spend eternity with Christ, and the rapture is the way Christians will get there in this age, then what’s stopping someone from committing suicide to get there faster?

I know that’s a lot, but any insight would be appreciated! I’m eager for the truth.

Paul struggled, not with suicidal tendencies, but definitely with the desire to depart and be with Christ. You can read what he says in Philippians 1. He knew it was better to remain on earth, to keep doing God's work. I think that should be our focus, too. Lots of us desire to be with God; but there is still work to do here.

Not a complete answer. But I hope that helps

cavalier973

Don’t commit suicide, please.

Paul told us that our present afflictions will be nothing compared to the glory of heaven. God uses our sufferings and trials to help us grow into the image of Jesus. He is in firm and total control, and will not allow things to get out of hand. He holds us safe, even if He allows us to endure persecution and martyrdom. Our Lord Jesus is preparing a place for us; He grants us the grace to patiently wait for His call to come Home. Trying to go there now, by our own hand, is not His timing. I believe He wants everything to be perfect when we get there, so we shouldn’t try to rush Him.

RobinB

Don’t commit suicide, please.

Paul told us that our present afflictions will be nothing compared to the glory of heaven. God uses our sufferings and trials to help us grow into the image of Jesus. He is in firm and total control, and will not allow things to get out of hand. He holds us safe, even if He allows us to endure persecution and martyrdom. Our Lord Jesus is preparing a place for us; He grants us the grace to patiently wait for His call to come Home. Trying to go there now, by our own hand, is not His timing. I believe He wants everything to be perfect when we get there, so we shouldn’t try to rush Him.

Agree. Please hang in there!

pixelpusher

Heaven really is a literal place. It's described as being "in the sides of the North", it's "up", "high above the earth", in the "third heaven" as Paul describes in 2 Corinthians 12. Ultimately, it's where God is on His Throne. I think our atmosphere is the first heaven, and space is the second heaven. No matter where one departs from, it's "up". Say Jesus comes back above the North Pole and calls all to Him. Even if we are in Australia, we would go up from wherever, into orbit I reckon, and zip to wherever Jesus is -- speculation. We may just instantly be transported for all I know.

I'd suggest the "point" of a Christian's life, and everyone's life although not all will accept it, is to glorify God. Spending eternity with Jesus is a benefit of redemption, which glorifies God. So yes, please stick around and watch with us, and let Him work through us here! Heaven is but a breath away, just on the other side. We believers who trust in Christ's "alien righteousness" will go there in good time, so persevere here where we have the present help of the Comforter.

Moonlight

Thoroughly depressed and waiting for the trumpet
I know suicide is a lot more complicated than just "I want to see Heaven right now"
I should know, I was there, recently, and the only reason I am still alive is not because I stopped myself, but because God has some other purpose for me here that I don't know yet, and prevented me from dying.