When You’re Afraid

Abed_nego2

Psalm 56:3, “Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You”
2 Kings 6:16, “Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them”

It was all-out war! The kids in the neighborhood where I lived were battling the kids who lived on the other side of our small town in West Virginia. The weapons would be crab apples, and the stakes would be our neighborhood pride and honor. Then unexpectedly it happened. After an especially bitter crab apple battle, my mom sent me on an errand that would force me to ride my bike down the street where most of the enemy lived. I was terrified as a ten-year old could be. The palms of my hands were sweaty and the skin on my back just crawled. I was so sure I would be discovered and attacked, and to say the least … I was just petrified!

Now let’s take a look at Psalm 56. It described how David felt when he was in a far worse situation than mine (1 Samuel 21:10-15). He was on the run from King Saul and took refuge in enemy territory. He was in terrible danger and he knew it. However, he also knew what to do in time of fear. He said, “Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You”. Then he wrote, “In God I have put my trust; I will not fear”. For those who have placed their faith and trust in a risen Savior, and when feeling insecure and vulnerable to danger, remember that you’re in the Lord’s protective care. Do what David did … believe that God is in control of your situation. He is more powerful than any threat to your well-being, and believe His promises. My brethren, that’s what to do when you’re afraid!

Further thoughts:

Columnist George Cantor told how he dealt with a childhood fear. Almost every night he would wake u in the darkness and imagine scary creatures lurking outside his room. Often he would be too scared to go back to sleep. Sometimes he would go and lie down by his parents’ bedroom door, figuring that as long as he was near them, nothing would hurt him. That child’s need for some physical evidence of his parents’ presence reminded me of the young servant of Elisha (2 Kings 6:15-17). He woke up early one morning and found that the Syrian army had surrounded the city. Alarmed and afraid, he cried out to Elisha, “Alas, my master! What shall we do?” (2 Kings 6:15). After Elisha prayed, the Lord opened the young servant’s eyes. What he saw must have filled him with awe and wonder. The Bible says that “the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha” (v. 17). The Lord’s army was there to protect them.

We too at times long for God to give us some kind of reassurance that He is near, and sometimes He does. But that’s the exception. He wants us to learn to trust His promise that He is with us. No matter how frightening the situation, God’s people always have more on their side than the enemy has on his. So, on your journey through life, whenever you’re afraid, trust in the Lord (Psalm 56:3).

The perfect cure for fear is trust in God because trusting God’s faithfulness dispels our fearfulness.