When the Lord comes again

newtofaith

Peter 3/10 says that the Lord's coming will be a surprise and that Jesus will come like a thief in the night. Then it says that the sky will be destroyed by fire and the earth and everything in it burnt up etc. One seems to clearly follow the other instantly.
How can we attribute this simile 'like a thief' to the rapture if the earth is destroyed at the same/similar time?
And if it does not reference the rapture then how come it is a surprise? It will not be a surprise when the Lord comes and destroys the earth as this is at the very end of the tribulation.
I am confused.

Jan51

Peter 3/10 says that the Lord's coming will be a surprise and that Jesus will come like a thief in the night. Then it says that the sky will be destroyed by fire and the earth and everything in it burnt up etc. One seems to clearly follow the other instantly.
How can we attribute this simile 'like a thief' to the rapture if the earth is destroyed at the same/similar time?
And if it does not reference the rapture then how come it is a surprise? It will not be a surprise when the Lord comes and destroys the earth as this is at the very end of the tribulation.
I am confused.
It doesn't say Jesus comes like a thief. The day of the Lord will come like a thief. The day of the Lord begins with the seven-year tribulation, the day of wrath, the time of Jacob's trouble, the seventieth week of Daniel. The rapture takes place before that, and the second coming happens at the end of the seven years. That "day" will come on the scoffing, unbelieving world (v. 3-7) like a thief. Believers will already be gone.

newtofaith

Thank you Jan (and Timbers) you have very swiftly cleared that up for me. Nor sure why I couldn't work it out for myself but I am trying...promise.
The day of the Lord will come like a thief to people although I imagine a lot of people will have an idea it is about to happen if the rapture has previously taken place.
What I find confusing is that a lot of pre trib pastors use this phrase again and again to explain the rapture. In your opinion Jan do you think they are incorrect in using this term to explain the rapture?

Jan51

Thank you Jan (and Timbers) you have very swiftly cleared that up for me. Nor sure why I couldn't work it out for myself but I am trying...promise.
The day of the Lord will come like a thief to people although I imagine a lot of people will have an idea it is about to happen if the rapture has previously taken place.
What I find confusing is that a lot of pre trib pastors use this phrase again and again to explain the rapture. In your opinion Jan do you think they are incorrect in using this term to explain the rapture?
Yes, many do use this phrase to speak of the rapture, and yes I do think it is incorrect and misleading. It sure used to confuse me, thinking of Jesus coming for His church as though He were a thief.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
Yes, many do use this phrase to speak of the rapture, and yes I do think it is incorrect and misleading. It sure used to confuse me, thinking of Jesus coming for His church as though He were a thief.
I also think Paul assures us that we the church won't be surprised of his coming if i'm not mistaken ?

newtofaith

Were the people that Paul was talking to aware of all the horrific things in the tribulation? If they weren't, couldn't they be worried that they have missed Christ's second coming NOT the rapture?

Jan51

Were the people that Paul was talking to aware of all the horrific things in the tribulation? If they weren't, couldn't they be worried that they have missed Christ's second coming NOT the rapture?
The second coming isn't an event you can "miss." You can miss the rapture, and therefore be left behind. But when Christ returns, He returns to rule over the earth. There will be no missing that for those who are still alive at the end of the tribulation!

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
The events of the tribulation were not just spoken of in revelation, Jesus spoke of these events but the ot prophets such as Daniel, Isaiah, Zechariah, Ezekiel , Psalms and some others also refer to events that will take place in the tribulation period.