When Sharing the Gospel With Someone, How Would You Respond to This One Common Excuse They Give?

Jewel79

I have used this analogy a few times when sharing the gospel:

I have been fishing the lake for many years. I have seen the coast guard out there, and even had them come close enough to ask if I needed help. I believe they would do everything in their power to save me, rescue me, but they never have. Why do you think that is? That's right, I've never felt the need to call out to them to save me. I fully believe in the CG, but have never actually asked them to save me. Now if I were sinking and faced with death, I'd be all over the radio, flairs, flags...

I usually try to start out my gospel message with Isaiah 6:1-4 to establish the holiness of God. Then go to Psalm 5:4-5 to talk about how a sinful man will never be able to dwell with a holy God.

After all that said, we just need to be faithful to share the truth of God's Word and plan of salvation - and let Him do the work.
Thanks for your great analogy, Jeff, and for your encouraging words! Excellent suggestions on the scriptures. I agree that people need to understand the holiness of God and the sinfulness of the state of man. These can't be reconciled except through the Cross. God bless you today!

ldonjohn

"God said it, that settles it!"
Hi Don, I read your story and it is a wonderful, yet easy to understand explanation of the Gospel :) Thanks so much. I love it when someone can illustrate the Gospel message in a story form like yours. And yes, I would be very interested in getting the link from Dr. John Rice as well. God bless you, brother.

Below are three links that might be helpful. I also have links to several articles by Dr. Erwin Lutzer that are very good. If interested let me know.

1. How to Come to Jesus, by Dr. John R Rice

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=10522

2. What Must I do to be Saved, by Dr. John R Rice
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=10572

3.The devil has entered me
https://krowtracts.com/tracts/391.html

Wings Like Eagles

That sounds just like myself many years ago before God showed me the truth about "believing in Jesus."
Yes--it really isn't enough to believe that He is--paraphrasing the Book of James, even the demons believe that, and tremble. (James 2:19). It is important to believe Him. Also, trusting Him, that He already paid for the sins of the world on the Cross is part of the rebirth.

In witnessing to Muslims, they will often write, "Oh we Muslims believe in Isa (pbuh) [the Muslim name for Jesus is "Isa") and Mary the mother of Isa. We believe that Isa is a prophet." They are often left floundering for an answer when you reply, "Well, if you believe that He is a prophet, why don't you believe Him--He said who He was/is?" The same is true of ANY unbeliever, they may believe that the Creator exists, they may even believe that Jesus came, preached to His people, the Jews, and was crucified, but they do NOT believe Him--nor do they trust in Him that He can and will save them.

The picture with which we are presented in Matthew 14:26-31, of Peter's walk on the water is, in my opinion, the picture of salvation. (A lot of Christians know that Jesus walked on the water, but forget that Peter walked on the water as well.) Peter at first, believes (along with the others) that Jesus is an apparition of some sort and decides to test whatever it is by requesting that if what they see is really Jesus, that He would agree to cause Peter to walk to Him on the water. Jesus agrees and bids Peter to come to Him. Peter is doing okay at first, but he takes his eyes of his Saviour, looking at the the wind and waves and begins to doubt, in his fear (are the cares and worries of this world our winds and waves?). At that point, Peter begins to sink and cries out, "Lord, save me." Jesus reaches out His hand--saving Peter from a watery grave. He then gives a mild rebuke to Peter, observing that Peter had little faith and asking, "Why did you doubt me?" Interestingly, just a bit later, Peter gives his confession of who Jesus. (Matthew 16:13-20)

Humble confession is part of the new birth (see Romans 10:10)

Jewel79

Below are three links that might be helpful. I also have links to several articles by Dr. Erwin Lutzer that are very good. If interested let me know.

1. How to Come to Jesus, by Dr. John R Rice

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=10522

2. What Must I do to be Saved, by Dr. John R Rice
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=10572

3.The devil has entered me
https://krowtracts.com/tracts/391.html
Thank you so much, Don! I'm going to check them all out :)

Jewel79

Yes--it really isn't enough to believe that He is--paraphrasing the Book of James, even the demons believe that, and tremble. (James 2:19). It is important to believe Him. Also, trusting Him, that He already paid for the sins of the world on the Cross is part of the rebirth.

In witnessing to Muslims, they will often write, "Oh we Muslims believe in Isa (pbuh) [the Muslim name for Jesus is "Isa") and Mary the mother of Isa. We believe that Isa is a prophet." They are often left floundering for an answer when you reply, "Well, if you believe that He is a prophet, why don't you believe Him--He said who He was/is?" The same is true of ANY unbeliever, they may believe that the Creator exists, they may even believe that Jesus came, preached to His people, the Jews, and was crucified, but they do NOT believe Him--nor do they trust in Him that He can and will save them.

The picture with which we are presented in Matthew 14:26-31, of Peter's walk on the water is, in my opinion, the picture of salvation. (A lot of Christians know that Jesus walked on the water, but forget that Peter walked on the water as well.) Peter at first, believes (along with the others) that Jesus is an apparition of some sort and decides to test whatever it is by requesting that if what they see is really Jesus, that He would agree to cause Peter to walk to Him on the water. Jesus agrees and bids Peter to come to Him. Peter is doing okay at first, but he takes his eyes of his Saviour, looking at the the wind and waves and begins to doubt, in his fear (are the cares and worries of this world our winds and waves?). At that point, Peter begins to sink and cries out, "Lord, save me." Jesus reaches out His hand--saving Peter from a watery grave. He then gives a mild rebuke to Peter, observing that Peter had little faith and asking, "Why did you doubt me?" Interestingly, just a bit later, Peter gives his confession of who Jesus. (Matthew 16:13-20)

Humble confession is part of the new birth (see Romans 10:10)
Amen to that - humility in our confession, and true belief are so key. Self pride hinders salvation, every time.