When Sharing the Gospel With Someone, How Would You Respond to This One Common Excuse They Give?

Jewel79

Hey Brothers and Sisters, I am very interested in getting your wisdom and input on how you would answer a certain statement (of excuse) I've heard more than once from a non-believer.
Here's what it is: after sharing the Gospel with them, they will reply that they had already tried that - that at one point in their life they had prayed to God, and had asked Jesus to save them, but didn't feel anything and nothing changed for them. They then became convinced that God hadn't heard them, and so they came to the conclusion that it wasn't real after all, or He wasn't real, or that God didn't want them.
How would you respond to such a situation?

Batman

Just as a starter for the thread I would ask if they understood Romans 10:9 and that you cannot just confess with your mouth "a" belief in Jesus but you must also believe in your heart that Jesus is the Son of God and that he died to pay for our sins and resurrected in triumph over sin, death and hell.

Jewel79

Just as a starter for the thread I would ask if they understood Romans 10:9 and that you cannot just confess with your mouth "a" belief in Jesus but you must also believe in your heart that Jesus is the Son of God and that he died to pay for our sins and resurrected in triumph over sin, death and hell.
Thanks, Batman, that's a good point to make. I appreciate your reply :)

mattfivefour

I think Batman and Amethyst have given you all you need in order to respond to the types of people to whom you refer. Aren't we all blessed here by the huge numbers of godly brothers and sisters who are willing to offer help whenever we ask? Glory to God for this family!

ldonjohn

"God said it, that settles it!"
Hey Brothers and Sisters, I am very interested in getting your wisdom and input on how you would answer a certain statement (of excuse) I've heard more than once from a non-believer.
Here's what it is: after sharing the Gospel with them, they will reply that they had already tried that - that at one point in their life they had prayed to God, and had asked Jesus to save them, but didn't feel anything and nothing changed for them. They then became convinced that God hadn't heard them, and so they came to the conclusion that it wasn't real after all, or He wasn't real, or that God didn't want them.
How would you respond to such a situation?

That sounds just like myself many years ago before God showed me the truth about "believing in Jesus."

ldonjohn

I want to add something to my last post.

Many years ago, 1967, I was starting my career as a classroom teacher in a suburb of Ft. Worth Texas. During a informal meeting between several men staff members one of them, knowing that I had just moved into the area, asked me if I had found a church. I responded by saying that I did not have time for church. Then he said, "Remember, Jesus is the answer to every problem." He never mentioned church or Jesus to me for the remainder of that year.

I never forgot those words, and many years later I believe that his brief interaction with me had a part in my journey to find Christ as my Savior.

God can use your witness even if you think you failed.

Jewel79

Many years ago, 1967, I was starting my career as a classroom teacher in a suburb of Ft. Worth Texas. During a informal meeting between several men staff members one of them, knowing that I had just moved into the area, asked me if I had found a church. I responded by saying that I did not have time for church. Then he said, "Remember, Jesus is the answer to every problem." He never mentioned church or Jesus to me for the remainder of that year.

I never forgot those words, and many years later I believe that his brief interaction with me had a part in my journey to find Christ as my Savior.

Thank you so much Idonjohn, this has encouraged me greatly!

Jewel79

I was motivated to write in my question out of a deep longing and desire for my brother-in-law to be saved before it's too late for him. He may not have much time left. He is in his mid'60's. He lives alone now after having been through two broken marriages in the past. He used to be so strong and fit and healthy, but now his long time alcohol addiction has reduced him to the shadow of the man he was. His liver disease is too advanced to be healed without a true miracle. He can barely do anything for himself and walks with the aid of a walker. He won't let anyone come and see him, not even his brother, my husband.
He has been heavy on my heart so much, and so two weeks ago, I felt led by the Holy Spirit to send him an email in which I lovingly shared with him the Gospel. I held nothing back as I shared from my heart with him. I fully expected an angry blast in reply filled with a few choice words, but his response was to thank me, and to tell me that he would think over what I shared with him. He went on to tell me that he had in the past tried to pray and reach out to God but felt that there was no response and therefore no help for him. I suspect that he may not fully understand how greatly our sins separates us from God, and that to be heard by Him we must be truly repentant for our sinful state, truly understand that only Christ's redeeming blood can wash us clean and put us in right standing with the Father. I really need gentleness and much wisdom in how I word my reply back to him, and really appreciate the wise input I've received on here which helps a lot :)

Footsteps

A couple of the Devil's little psycho tricks, starting with your phrase MANY YEARS LATER: The man who witnessed to you planted a seed which apparently was a stepping stone after an extended period of time. So don't feel like your testimony was wasted. You don't know God's strategy or schedule.
The same phenomenon happens in reverse: A person to whom you witnessed did not "work out his salvation with fear and trembling". I don't know what happened, but if he was expecting an immediate dramatic change in several areas of life, and made no effort to fellowship with Christians, maybe take a peek at John and/or Romans, use just a smidgen of patience, etc. he may have felt that he failed or Jesus failed. Maybe an occasional prayer to the Person he doubted would have helped. I have no idea what happened. When I use the phrase "work out", I am not saying he had to perform certain works to be saved - I am saying the person may have never had an open mind about the reality of authentic salvation, or its ability to create a "new creature" within himself. You witnessed. It's up to the hearer to receive.

ldonjohn

Jewel79, I don't know if this would be something you could use, but I am placing a link below to a short story I wrote back in 2013 about the cross. Some have called it silly; others have used it as a witnessing tool. It might be something that you could use to witness to your brother-in law.
Another suggestion is that you just simply tell your brother-in law what Jesus did for you. IOW, how you came to know Christ.
Another suggestion is a short sermon by the late DR. John R. Rice; "How to Come to Jesus?" I can give you a link to that if your are interested.

https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/story-about-the-cross-3rd-revision.181552/

Regards,
Don

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
The 3 Simple Steps to Salvation

It’s As Easy As ABC

A: Is for ADMIT or ACKNOWLEDGE we are sinful and need Him (Jesus) as our saviour.
[Romans 3 : 10] as it is written: "There is none righteous, no not one.”
[Romans 3 : 23] “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”

B: Is for BELIEVE Jesus is Lord. That He died for our sins, was buried then rose to life
on the third day, and ascended to God the Father.
[John 14 : 6 - 7] Jesus said to him, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no one
comes to the Father but by Me.”
[Romans 5 : 8] “But God commends His love toward us in that while we were yet
sinners Christ died for us.”

C: Is to CONFESS this belief, and to CALL upon His name.
[Romans 10 : 9 – 10] “That if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and
believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For
with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth one confesses
unto salvation.”
[Romans 10 : 13] For "whoever calls on the name of the LORD will be saved."

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
One of the hardest things that I find with evangelism is we always expect something other than what takes place once we share the gospel.

Don't get discouraged by it, God can use anything. Put it in God's hands after you do your part which is to share the gospel. Pray and tell God your feelings.

God bless.

Jeff K

I have used this analogy a few times when sharing the gospel:

I have been fishing the lake for many years. I have seen the coast guard out there, and even had them come close enough to ask if I needed help. I believe they would do everything in their power to save me, rescue me, but they never have. Why do you think that is? That's right, I've never felt the need to call out to them to save me. I fully believe in the CG, but have never actually asked them to save me. Now if I were sinking and faced with death, I'd be all over the radio, flairs, flags...

I usually try to start out my gospel message with Isaiah 6:1-4 to establish the holiness of God. Then go to Psalm 5:4-5 to talk about how a sinful man will never be able to dwell with a holy God.

After all that said, we just need to be faithful to share the truth of God's Word and plan of salvation - and let Him do the work.

Jewel79

Jewel79, I don't know if this would be something you could use, but I am placing a link below to a short story I wrote back in 2013 about the cross. Some have called it silly; others have used it as a witnessing tool. It might be something that you could use to witness to your brother-in law.
Another suggestion is that you just simply tell your brother-in law what Jesus did for you. IOW, how you came to know Christ.
Another suggestion is a short sermon by the late DR. John R. Rice; "How to Come to Jesus?" I can give you a link to that if your are interested.

https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/story-about-the-cross-3rd-revision.181552/

Regards,
Don
Hi Don, I read your story and it is a wonderful, yet easy to understand explanation of the Gospel :) Thanks so much. I love it when someone can illustrate the Gospel message in a story form like yours. And yes, I would be very interested in getting the link from Dr. John Rice as well. God bless you, brother.

Jewel79

The 3 Simple Steps to Salvation

It’s As Easy As ABC

A: Is for ADMIT or ACKNOWLEDGE we are sinful and need Him (Jesus) as our saviour.
[Romans 3 : 10] as it is written: "There is none righteous, no not one.”
[Romans 3 : 23] “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.”

B: Is for BELIEVE Jesus is Lord. That He died for our sins, was buried then rose to life
on the third day, and ascended to God the Father.
[John 14 : 6 - 7] Jesus said to him, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no one
comes to the Father but by Me.”
[Romans 5 : 8] “But God commends His love toward us in that while we were yet
sinners Christ died for us.”

C: Is to CONFESS this belief, and to CALL upon His name.
[Romans 10 : 9 – 10] “That if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and
believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For
with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth one confesses
unto salvation.”
[Romans 10 : 13] For "whoever calls on the name of the LORD will be saved."
Thank you Matthew 6:33! This is great to keep and use as well. God bless you!

Jewel79

One of the hardest things that I find with evangelism is we always expect something other than what takes place once we share the gospel.

Don't get discouraged by it, God can use anything. Put it in God's hands after you do your part which is to share the gospel. Pray and tell God your feelings.

God bless.
You're right, I completely agree with you. I have witnessed to many family members and friends and get very similar responses like my brother-in-law has given me. It has been discouraging at times. But I know I've done my part in sharing the Gospel and praying for them.