What's Your Favorite Olympic Summer Sport?

Andy C

When I watched it live this morning, I thought she was a quitter, who left the team at the worst possible moment. However, after digging through and reading the rules, she made the best move for the team. Its the same thing as a pitcher pulling himself out of a game when he is getting rocked.

Im women’s gymnastics team finals there are four events. Each team has 4 gymnasts. For each event, only 3 from each team compete on each event. Biles did compete on the first event, the vault, and her score was about 1.5 points below her normal - thats a HUGE margin in scoring. So had she stayed in, and with her poor mental status, lack of confidence, one more poor event like her vault would've killed the chances for her team to medal. After her poor vault, it was almost impossible for team USA to earn a gold without the Russians stumbling all over the place. However, the team rallied and earned a silver medal.

Keep in mind the Russia team also came in first in the qualifying round, so they were obviously a very strong team.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Hmm. I wonder if they have a Cornhole competition in the Olympics?

No, and no horseshoes, either :(

But, break dancing (Breaking) is being added in Paris 2024 [sigh]
https://olympics.com/en/sports/breaking/

Wonder when the waltz and tango will make their debut . . .

And ballet (ice dancing/pairs skating for non-skaters), complete with pink and purple tutus and ballet slippers :eek

Last edited:

Jonathan

What's your favorite Olympic summer sport by gender?

My favorites

Men - gymnastics, especially high bar and pommel horse
Women - gymnastics, especially uneven parallel bars and floor
Yes, Gymnastics, either men or woman, just because it shows how incredible the body God created can be (even if most of us aren't able to fully experience it).

Also, Diving (if that is an Olympic sport) is also cool for the very same reasons.

Is there a female beach volleyball sport in the summer Olympics? Actually, don't answer that. I don't want to know.

Ghoti: Be sure to ask this same question when the winter Olympics come around, assuming we are still here.

Ghoti Ichthus

Yes, Gymnastics, either men or woman, just because it shows how incredible the body God created can be (even if most of us aren't able to fully experience it).

Also, Diving (if that is an Olympic sport) is also cool for the very same reasons.

Is there a female beach volleyball sport in the summer Olympics? Actually, don't answer that. I don't want to know.

Ghoti: Be sure to ask this same question when the winter Olympics come around, assuming we are still here.

Yes, Diving is an Olympic sport.
There's also "synchronized diving" There's something very wrong with this . . .

JSTyler

Im just the opposite. Almost all the events and athletes get little to no TV coverage until its Olympics time. For the other 3 years, most have no idea who is the world champion. But since I was a kid, Im drawn like a moth to the light and watch events I only watch every 4 years. Also, it was fascinating back then to watch world powers who hated each other, set it aside for the Olympics.
Cool! I don't disparage the interest in anyone, I just don't have the sports fan bug.

I did watch the whole miracle on ice run by the US hockey team back in 80. That was fun.

Jonathan

I am actually hoping the rapture will happen before the winter Olympics, because then this same question will be asked and I may feel obligated to come out of the closet. The truth is, I am not who I pretend to be. I actually kind of LIKE curling. DON'T JUDGE ME!!!! I WAS BORN THIS WAY!!!!

Ghoti Ichthus

Billions of people are watching the Olympics.

What a witness if at the moment of max viewership . . .

Drones were used during the opening ceremony at Tokyo, so I expect they'll be there for the closing ceremony. What a set-up for an "explanation" . . .

Plus all the video recordings all over the world that can be replayed over and over to show people that didn't see . . .

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Ghoti Ichthus

I am actually hoping the rapture will happen before the winter Olympics, because then this same question will be asked and I may feel obligated to come out of the closet. The truth is, I am not who I pretend to be. I actually kind of LIKE curling. DON'T JUDGE ME!!!! I WAS BORN THIS WAY!!!!

Curling is extra cool during a blizzard :biggrin
The higher the winds, the more *interesting*
If the winds are high enough, it's possible to lose a stone (or two) :lol

Wish they had ice sailing racing . . . another fine sport for blizzards :biggrin

Andy C

Summer Olympics are over today, Winter Olympics start in 6 months.

Side note - USA pays each athelete for each medal won, with the gold medal paying 37,500.