What's Your Christmas Menu? Need some ideas

Channah

I'm planning my Christmas menu and would like to incorporate some new menus to add so I thought I'd ask to get some ideas. Also, if you are making Prime Rib, what's your best kept secret in making a juicy prime rib? Thanks in advance.

So far mine are:

Prime Rib
Parrot Fish whole (wrapped in mayonnaise and baked) and cerviche.

I need ideas for the sides.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I don't usually prepare a meal on Christmas, but whenever the stores offer rib roasts at a sale price, I get one. So I'll have a rib roast sometime near Christmas time. We had one earlier this week on the first day of the sale... I use a convection oven and slow cook the roast at 175 deg after first cooking it for 20 minutes at 450 deg or so. I have my own rub I developed which everyone likes. I serve it with aujus.

CountingMyBlessings

I haven’t decided yet if I am going with prime rib or whole beef tenderloin, which has become my new favorite. Either way, we do both the same and it’s always tender and juicy. At least an hour or so before cooking, I take out of fridge and let rest at room temp on a rack and rub with freshly ground pepper and pink salt. We use a gas grill for cooking, so we sear first on all sides and then move to indirect heat until medium rare. Most importantly, always let it rest a bit, tented loosely under foil before slicing. I’ve also seared in a cast iron skillet and finished in the oven but have always had better results with the grill.

Far too many choices for sides....what are your favorites?

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
I don't usually prepare a meal on Christmas, but whenever the stores offer rib roasts at a sale price, I get one. So I'll have a rib roast sometime near Christmas time. We had one earlier this week on the first day of the sale... I use a convection oven and slow cook the roast at 175 deg after first cooking it for 20 minutes at 450 deg or so. I have my own rub I developed which everyone likes. I serve it with aujus.
Yep. Low and slow. Take it out before you think you need to because it will continue cooking afterwards.

We do prime rib roast here, with yorkshire pudding and a salad. Some sort of dessert. Pumpkin pie was requested from the family for this year. It's a simpler meal than Thanksgiving, but delicious.

chaser

Praising my Savior all the day long!
Mary has to work so I will make a tasty comfort food meal, like seared baked pork chops, mashed potatoes, some veggies, dinner roll and a dessert, maybe cherry cheese cake. Or maybe Filet Mignon seared in cast iron skillet and then into the oven for a medium rare finish with a side of mostaciolli , bake potato and garlic bread.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
My son in law made the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill. It was so good that we are having another for Christmas.....and I am not a fan of turkey but the boy did a great job!!

Sides....a Paula Deen chocolate pie, maybe dressing, vegetable casserole and canned cranberry sauce.

Very different than the Christmas meals of my childhood. Mama cooked an enormous meal and had numerous cakes and pies. But our numbers have dwindled down so over the years...a huge meal with multiple desserts couldn't be eaten.

antitox

My son in law made the Thanksgiving turkey on the grill. It was so good that we are having another for Christmas.....and I am not a fan of turkey but the boy did a great job!!

Sides....a Paula Deen chocolate pie, maybe dressing, vegetable casserole and canned cranberry sauce.

Very different than the Christmas meals of my childhood. Mama cooked an enormous meal and had numerous cakes and pies. But our numbers have dwindled down so over the years...a huge meal with multiple desserts couldn't be eaten.

The grill is the best way to do it. I would say it's the most flavorful.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Christmas Eve - - Veal scallopini (NO tomatoes), rice, green beans, and Christmas cookies :biggrin The scallopini will be made with grass-fed sirloin sliced to about the same thinness as veal scallopini/cutlets 'cuz $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :eek Mom always made veal scallopini on Christmas Eve. We'd eat after the 6 pm service (the high school choir sang 2-3-4-5-6, and adult choir sang 7-8-9-10-11-12). Then exchange immediate family presents by the tree. Then I went with Dad when he played a huge traditional midnight Catholic high mass in an absolutely gorgeous church, complete with full orchestra, choir, multiple Priests, incense, a b'zillion candles, swords, capes, Holy Communion, and Latin litugy (yay! Latin class actually taught me so I understood the words!). We'd get back sometime before 3 am.

Christmas Day - - Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, regular stuffing, steel cut oatmeal stuffing, jellied cranberry sauce, peas, and Christmas cookies :biggrin

Boxing Day - - Leftover scallopini, with rice, green beans, and Christmas cookies :biggrin

Musicians don't get holidays off . . .

Last edited: