What’s the weirdest food you've tried?

pixelpusher

Ants make me antsy... lol

I once had a lollipop at Halloween, tho I do not celebrate that holiday, that had a real scorpion embedded in the candy. Hot Licks it was called. I did not get to the center..

But maybe the weirdest thing... I grilled a pumpkin. With butter and brown sugar mop sauce. It was interesting, but I am not giving up on bacon.

Rose E.

When I was a kid(before ten years old) my mom made herself a peanut butter and pickle sandwich. I thought it was weird. My sister and brother were grossed out. I had to be different from them. Now at 63 I'm still eating them. My brother and sister still has never had a delicious peanut butter and pickle sandwich.

Cindy S.

I don't eat anything weird. Lol
Once I unknowingly ate venison and went back for more of that delicious "roast beef" and my SIL said that's not roast beef, it's venison. That did it for me, I couldn't eat it after that and I don't trust any mystery meat at her holiday dinners.
I don't eat seafood either, yuck.

kathymendel

When I was a kid(before ten years old) my mom made herself a peanut butter and pickle sandwich. I thought it was weird. My sister and brother were grossed out. I had to be different from them. Now at 63 I'm still eating them. My brother and sister still has never had a delicious peanut butter and pickle sandwich.
YES!!!!! My older brother introduced me to the peanut butter and sweet pickle relish sandwich when I was ten!!!! YUMMMMMM!!!!!!
No one believes me of course, but it's their loss, right?????

ByGod'sGrace

When I lived in Taiwan, I ordered soup and it had whole baby octopi in it, just floating around with their curled, boiled tentacles. I remember picking a whole octopus up with my chopsticks and inspecting it...the little beak and the tentacles, and thinking, "how am I going to eat this?!" Since it was considered extremely rude to not eat what was put in front of me, I ate it all. I kept trying to trick myself everytime I took a bite that I wasn't chewing what I saw before.

Also, while in Taiwan, I ordered soup that turned out to be a clear broth with some kind of animal intestine boiled, but I hid that in a napkin. I didn't eat it.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
When I lived in Taiwan, I ordered soup and it had whole baby octopi in it, just floating around with their curled, boiled tentacles. I remember picking a whole octopus up with my chopsticks and inspecting it...the little beak and the tentacles, and thinking, "how am I going to eat this?!" Since it was considered extremely rude to not eat what was put in front of me, I ate it all. I kept trying to trick myself everytime I took a bite that I wasn't chewing what I saw before.

Also, while in Taiwan, I ordered soup that turned out to be a clear broth with some kind of animal intestine boiled, but I hid that in a napkin. I didn't eat it.
Intestines can be tasty! While in South America I was served up some exotic jungle bird. The poor folks in deep jungle eat whatever they can catch or shoot or grow or pick...

While in Peru, someone who worked for me brought me a plate from where they were from (Cusco, Peru) and the meat was Cuy or guinea pig. The only reason I didn't eat it was because I figured I'd get sick since it was probably cooked a day or two ago and hadn't been refrigerated during the guy's travels. Since he went out of his way to do this kind thing for me I didn't let him know that I tossed the whole plate of food out. Where he comes from they let the guinea pigs live loose in/around their homes and then just grab them and gut them and cook them when they want to eat them.

Last edited:

TimeWarpWife

I came home from school one day and wanted both a peanut butter sandwich and a tuna fish sandwich, but didn't want two sandwiches. You guessed it ~ PB and tuna fish and it was actually good. I introduced my cousin to the PB and tuna sandwich and her mom got up and left the table she was so disgusted. :heh

Jonathan

I've tried a number of what a lot of people consider "exotic foods" (Bison, Escargot, Foie Gras, etc), but nothing really weird. No chocolate ants or bird nest soup. I mean, if you think about it, even Lobster is REALLY weird but it is so common no one thinks of it as weird, even though it is basically a huge, creepy scorpion shaped seashell that's filled with bug meat. ;P

Also, if you think about it, milk is weird. You are drinking the mammary product of an animal designed to nourish it's young, in most cases a calf.

I think the weirdest and grossest food I have ever heard of is a coffee that fits the following description:

Kopi luwak is made from coffee beans plucked from civets' feces. This is bad news for civets. It's the world's most expensive coffee, and it's made from poop. Or rather, it's made from coffee beans that are partially digested and then pooped out by the civet, a catlike creature.

And then there is always this delightful cheese:

Casu marzu (Sardinian pronunciation: [ˈkazu ˈmaɾdzu]; literally 'rotten/putrid cheese'), also called casu modde, casu cundídu and casu fràzigu in Sardinian, is a traditional Sardinian sheep milk cheese that contains live insect larvae (maggots).

Kind of makes Haggis seem like a walk in the park.

Hidden

A lot of Filipino food would be probably be weird for you, and only us Filipinos truly understand it. :D

We practically eat every part of an animal. Like in the chicken for example, we eat the feet, the innards, the brain, and even the bum part. Same goes with pigs and cows. lol

Story goes that when we were under Spanish occupation, the elite would eat the choicest parts and the natives had to do with the not-so-appealing parts, hence it was ingrained in our culture.

I'm not a big fan of Indian, Nepalese, and Pakistani food. My colleagues who are Indians know that already, so it's no big deal to them, and are not offended by it. I like Arabic/Middle Eastern food, especially Turkish and Lebanese cuisines.

Last edited:

antitox

Two things: friend of my sister's I saw wrap slice of American cheese around a dill pickle. I tried it and loved it and started doing the same thing.

Then years later guy at work got me onto hog's head "cheese," which really isn't cheese, but they said, "you may like it but you don't ever want to see it being made." I think I understood what he meant.