What was your favorite musical groups/songs growing up?

JSTyler

Well I was asking cuz I just started looking into their music are they any good? Decent wise?
Their album "Time" is a desert island album. I can take or leave the rest of their offerings but Time is an amazing concept album.

This quote is a well stated nutshell from a popular online store review "Unlike most albums, this is not a collection of songs. It's a rock opera set in 1981 when a man is taken from his own time and forced against his will into the future (2095) and there, sees the wonders and shames of the future world. He divides his time between learning about the future, and lamenting the loss of his beloved who he has left in 1981. We find that as he learns, he is given an opportunity to possibly go back to his own time and teach them what he has learned, so humanity isn't forced to repeat its mistakes."

I kinda-sorta think of it as mirror of the parable of Lazarus, though the album story has the potential for a happy ending for the protagonist. That's just my take and not the original intent of the creators...maybe I'm simply justifying myself :biggrin

JSTyler

Anything TransSiberian Orchestra
We saw the "A" crew perform their first Christmas release, with a smattering of songs from release two, live. It was an experience on par with River Dance live, but much-much louder, with fire, smoke, lasers, and really amazingly talented rock musicians and singers. They even as an aside more than less presented the Gospel with the additional songs and narration. I've never in my life seen such a mixed crown in a packed out arena all head-banging together to Christmas music.

JSTyler

Someone mentioned Elton John. I have this thing about his song, "Yellow Brick Road."
Musically, that song has got to be one of the finest ever written.
That melody is....stratosphere....absolute genius.
100%

D F#7
G D
B7 Em
A7 D
Bm F#7
G Bb
Bb Bb/A D A/C# Bm D/A
G A7 Gm C C/E F Bb Gm A7 D

That's crazy hard to play even when I had good hands and bendable fingers...but so beautiful.

3 Nails 4 Given

Sinner saved by the blood of Jesus
Right in my wheelhouse.

Atlanta Rhythm Section (particularly Are You Ready - the live album)
Blackfoot
Pure Prairie League
Alabama
Eagles
Pink Floyd - Yeah doesn't fit here but REASONS!
My cousin played guitar and vocals in Blackfoot. I used to live 4 houses down from Allen Collins, the lead guitarist for Skynyrd. I got to watch those guys practice in a garage when I was a kid.

Last edited:

Flavius Sabinus

I was a teenager in the early 80's so my favorite bands are from that era. I was a huge fan of MTV back in the day and my music choices reflected that. Def Leppard, Tears for Fears, A Flock of Seagulls, Duran Duran, INXS, Berlin, Depeche Mode are just some of the many bands I listened to. I still listen to some of them on occasion.

greg64

Lots of the same ones as everyone else -- Boston was probably the first band I was really into as a teen, but other early favorites were Kansas, REO Speedwagon, Journey, J Geils, and ELO. Then more into southern rock with Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, and 38 special. Then a country phase with Hank Jr., Waylon Jennings, Alabama, etc. Then college years more Def Leppard, Led Zepellin, and the Who. Recently, more into some of the prog rockers like Rush and Yes (one of my kids is a huge fan of that genre). Lately, I've been leaving xm radio mostly on the Tom Petty channel, so listening a lot to his work. And being from Michigan, Bob Seger and Ted Nugent were always in there somewhere, even a little Kid Rock.

CountingMyBlessings

My first favorite when I was 4 or 5 was an 8 track my parents had of Bob Seger’s Against the Wind. Then CCR’s Lookin Out My Backdoor and Ronnie Millsap’s Smoky Mountain Rain. Grew up on country and rock radio. Third grade was the Bangles Walk Like an Egyptian. Caved to peer pressure a few years later and it was New Kids on the Block. Early high school years I took over some vinyl from my mom and fell in love with the Eagles. By the end of high school in my rebellious nature it was Metallica, AC/DC, Pantera, Alice In Chains, and some harder rock. Found Pink Floyd about the same time and still a huge fan. Early 20’s was Fleetwood Mac, Bush and Seven Mary Three. Now, in my mid-forties, my Spotify is all over the place. Mostly 70s & 80s country and red dirt, but also huge fan of Chris Stapleton and Eric Church. My 9 year old recently declared her favorite song (from my playlist) is David Alan Coe’s You Never Even Call Me by My Name, followed by Alan Jackson’s Are You Washed in the Blood.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
So much awesome music listed by all. I don't mean to sound like a pagan but those were the golden days of music. Now, having said that, I almost hate to admit this, but I also bought (and listened to) Spike Jones and his orchestra. Still have some of his stuff on my playlists.
Gluck-glucks!

Musician 4 Jesus

Psalms 150 : 1-6 KJV
Lots of the same ones as everyone else -- Boston was probably the first band I was really into as a teen, but other early favorites were Kansas, REO Speedwagon, Journey, J Geils, and ELO. Then more into southern rock with Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, and 38 special. Then a country phase with Hank Jr., Waylon Jennings, Alabama, etc. Then college years more Def Leppard, Led Zepellin, and the Who. Recently, more into some of the prog rockers like Rush and Yes (one of my kids is a huge fan of that genre). Lately, I've been leaving xm radio mostly on the Tom Petty channel, so listening a lot to his work. And being from Michigan, Bob Seger and Ted Nugent were always in there somewhere, even a little Kid Rock.
Awesome!!!!!!! Love love loove journey and Kansas and Boston bob seger and Bon Jovi