What was your favorite musical groups/songs growing up?

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
Someone mentioned Elton John. I have this thing about his song, "Yellow Brick Road."
Musically, that song has got to be one of the finest ever written.
That melody is....stratosphere....absolute genius.

If I listen to it, that song gets into my head....for days. In fact, I make a point not to listen to it, because of the eerie affect the melody seems to have on me. And the way he sings is gorgeous...hauntingly gorgeous.
And knowing what the lyrics actually mean, I know it's something I shouldn't listen to. So I don't.
Being the music lover I am, that song is like crack to me. There's just something about it.

Sometimes my husband and I enjoy an hour or so of secular music on YouTube. It's usually pretty tame 50's stuff.
I can't listen to the music of my youth....too much junk of my past comes up. But I loved Journey and REO Speedwagon.

Last edited:

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Chicago I love all the instruments used, and their songs. We saw them in concert in June 2018. Other groups were Bee Gees, John Fogerty, and CCR, Neil Diamond, Eagles, and Doobie Bros. These are just a few there were a lot of groups when I grew up in the 60's.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I mostly listened to classical and the late night music to relax by. That was in the mid to late 50s

I wasn't allowed to listen to popular music when I was a kid. I was only allowed to listen to classical and sacred (and talk radio and sports). When I was older and had a choice (away from home), I still preferred classical over popular, although I liked flamenco and classical guitar, big band, and swing, but not jazz :smile Fortunately, my parents loosened up some for my younger siblings :smile

Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra (aka Minnesota Orchestra)
Minneapolis Pops Orchestra (it used to be a lot bigger/better because the Minneapolis Symphony didn't have a summer season :smile
Cleveland Philharmonic
St Olaf Choir
Leningrad (Stalingrad) Philharmonic (the starving orchestra that defied Hitler)
Israel Philharmonic Orchestra (many Jewish musicians forced from their homes and jobs in Europe)
Boston Pops
Soloists, I liked Pablo Casals, Tony Elliott, John Angelucci, Henry Charles Smith, Alicia de Larrocha, Andres Segovia, Robert Marcellus, and John Browning. And Dad. Especially Dad :biggrin (yes, I am biased :lol Never got to hear/see Jascha Heifetz, Carlos Montoya, or Ramon Montoya in person, but love their recordings :smile

The first popular song I remember liking was Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (B J Thomas). I think it was partly because I could actually understand the words :lol I heard it at the mall when I was there with Mom :smile Kind of hard for parents to shelter (smother) their kids from the world forever :lol

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I was into most things musically young an old, my parents played "their music and their radiostations" when i was younger and i used to hate it but ironically now i like it , strange how songs take you back to moments in your life :

Boyz 2 men
Metallica
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Simply Red
The Doors
2pac
Ron Isley
Bob Marley and the Wailers
Michael Jackson
Johny Cash
Joe Cocker
Kate BUsh ( AHAHAHAH please don't throw apples )

RonJohnSilver

You like electric light orchestra????
Turn to Stone...!!
My list of wear 'em out discs in my past is eclectic.
Any Elvis ballad
Leslie Gore: End of the World
Anything TransSiberian Orchestra
Marvin Gaye: Heard it Through the Grapevine
CCR's cover of Grapevine plus their Down On The Corner
ZZTop: Smart Dressed Man
Beatles: Abbey Road and Sgt Pepper's albums
Anything classic R&B (Howling Wolf, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Otis Redding, Otis Spahn, Lightning Hopkins, Memphis Slim)
Anything Billie Holiday
Everything Perry Como
Eagles: Hotel California
A big amen to Trans-Siberian Orchestra! And ZZtop's 'Heard it on the X'1!

RonJohnSilver

Someone mentioned Elton John. I have this thing about his song, "Yellow Brick Road."

If I listen to it, that song gets into my head....for days. In fact, I make a point not to listen to it, because of the eerie affect the melody seems to have on me. And the way he sings is gorgeous...hauntingly gorgeous.
And knowing what the lyrics actually mean, I know it's something I shouldn't listen to. So I don't.
Being the music lover I am, that song is like crack to me. There's just something about it.

Sometimes my husband and I enjoy an hour or so of secular music on YouTube. It's usually pretty tame 50's stuff.
I can't listen to the music of my youth....too much junk of my past comes up. But I loved Journey and REO Speedwagon.
Journey....yup, very nice.

Cloud Watcher

I loved Crocodile Rock.

I wasn't allowed to listen to popular music when I was a kid. I was only allowed to listen to classical and sacred (and talk radio and sports). When I was older and had a choice (away from home), I still preferred classical over popular, although I liked flamenco and classical guitar, big band, and swing, but not jazz :smile Fortunately, my parents loosened up some for my younger siblings :smile

Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra (aka Minnesota Orchestra)
Minneapolis Pops Orchestra (it used to be a lot bigger/better because the Minneapolis Symphony didn't have a summer season :smile
Cleveland Philharmonic
St Olaf Choir
Leningrad (Stalingrad) Philharmonic (the starving orchestra that defied Hitler)
Israel Philharmonic Orchestra (many Jewish musicians forced from their homes and jobs in Europe)
Boston Pops
Soloists, I liked Pablo Casals, Tony Elliott, John Angelucci, Henry Charles Smith, Alicia de Larrocha, Andres Segovia, Robert Marcellus, and John Browning. And Dad. Especially Dad :biggrin (yes, I am biased :lol Never got to hear/see Jascha Heifetz, Carlos Montoya, or Ramon Montoya in person, but love their recordings :smile

The first popular song I remember liking was Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (B J Thomas). I think it was partly because I could actually understand the words :lol I heard it at the mall when I was there with Mom :smile Kind of hard for parents to shelter (smother) their kids from the world forever :lol
:oops:

I played the recorder in school.

All my hillbilly cousins thought I was refined. When I ripped Mary and her lamb out they started to call me Beethoven. (not really)

Accepted

In addition to pretty much ALL the musicians mentioned, I loved Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, Foreigner, Carol King, Fleetwood Mac, (of course the Beatles), Bob Dylan (my dad called him Mumblypeg) ... could go on and on. I once took my brother to see Ricky Nelson in concert at Knott’s Berry Farm (I worked there and could get us in for free), and really enjoyed him too. Oh, and Mowtown music, and Roy Orbison, the Righteous Brothers... I mean, how could you listen to Unchained Melody and not be touched??

To be honest, I try to listen mostly Christian music, because music tends to form my affections and emotions, and I want them directed toward the Lord. But that’s just my weakness, not a rule for anyone else. I love music!

RonJohnSilver

So much awesome music listed by all. I don't mean to sound like a pagan but those were the golden days of music. Now, having said that, I almost hate to admit this, but I also bought (and listened to) Spike Jones and his orchestra. Still have some of his stuff on my playlists.