What was your favorite musical groups/songs growing up?

RonJohnSilver

When I was in my pre-teens, I listened to my sisters favorites and since folk music was in at that time, I became a fan of the Kingston Trio. I still like them. Later, being a bit of a geek, I had kind of an eclectic mixture of tastes, the Tijuana Brass was one I enjoyed and Petula Clark, the British singer was another. As my musical tastes matured (or declined, however you view it), it was rock that held me. So, my favorites then and now...the Moody Blues. Oddly, their big hit, Nights in White Satin, never appealed to me. My favorite was 'The Story in Your Eyes', and then later, 'The Voice'. In college, when I was working on the campus radio station, my groups were Abba and Bachman-Turner Overdrive. BTO's 'Let It Ride' was one I played every chance I got. Even today, two months away from turning 70, when I'm driving, I put the windows down and turn the CD up. Most people, I'm sure, think I'm doing that because I'm losing my hearing. It's actually the other way around, I'm losing my hearing because I do that and have for a long time. But, it's worth it. Sometimes, it's the volume that increases the power of the music. So I was thinking today, what is my favorite song of all time? Wow, that's hard. Abba was soft rock but how they harmonized. BTO had that pounding beat that I love. Jay Black of Jay and the Americans had a great voice and range. He showed it on 'Cara Mia'. So many others, anyway, what music kept you going through your youth? Or what records did you wear out listening to them over and over?

Brother Albert R.

Jesus loved us and said we should Love our enemies
the Tijuana Brass
That's Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass...I still enjoy Herb Alpert's song "This Guy's In Love With You"...Pull it up on youtube and listen to it. "Do you know the way to San Jose" by Dian Warwick is also a good one. How about "Patches" by Clarence Carter...or "Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight & the Pips. "Kentucky rain" and "In the ghetto" by none other than Elvis Presley. America's "Tin Man" and "A horse with no name". "Just Remember I Love You" by Firefall. "Love Is The Answer" by England Dan & John Ford Coley...
Just to name a few of my favorite songs of yesterday...

Last edited:

Leigh

That's Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass...I still enjoy Herb Alpert's song "This Guy's In Love With You"...Pull it up on youtube and listen to it. "Do you know the way to San Jose" by Dian Warwick is also a good one. How about "Patches" by Clarence Carter...or "Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight & the Pips. "Kentucky rain" and "In the ghetto" by none other than Elvis Presley. America's "Tin Man" and "A horse with no name". "Just Remember I Love You" by Firefall. "Love Is The Answer" by England Dan & John Ford Coley...
Just to name a few of my favorite songs of yesterday...
I know and love most of those songs, although I've never heard Patches. I especially love "This Guy's In Love" and "Love is the Answer" from your list.

Abba is definitely a top favorite... I was in about 5th grade when they became popular. Also I love ELO, Seals and Croft, Dan Fogelberg, Paul Davis, Olivia Newton-John, Elton John, Billy Joel, and so many others.

Sometimes I get to watching 70s-80s songs on Youtube and just can't quit!

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
My list of wear 'em out discs in my past is eclectic.
Any Elvis ballad
Leslie Gore: End of the World
Anything TransSiberian Orchestra
Marvin Gaye: Heard it Through the Grapevine
CCR's cover of Grapevine plus their Down On The Corner
ZZTop: Smart Dressed Man
Beatles: Abbey Road and Sgt Pepper's albums
Anything classic R&B (Howling Wolf, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Otis Redding, Otis Spahn, Lightning Hopkins, Memphis Slim)
Anything Billie Holiday
Everything Perry Como
Eagles: Hotel California

pixelpusher

My list of wear 'em out discs in my past is eclectic.
Any Elvis ballad
Leslie Gore: End of the World
Anything TransSiberian Orchestra
Marvin Gaye: Heard it Through the Grapevine
CCR's cover of Grapevine plus their Down On The Corner
ZZTop: Smart Dressed Man
Beatles: Abbey Road and Sgt Pepper's albums
Anything classic R&B (Howling Wolf, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Otis Redding, Otis Spahn, Lightning Hopkins, Memphis Slim)
Anything Billie Holiday
Everything Perry Como
Eagles: Hotel California
Lol, Hotel California was my “theme” song for the agency I worked at. I finally did leave tho.

I started at Kasey Kasum‘s (sp?) countdown, and wound up at heavy metal. I had to chuck my Slayer - South of Heaven cassette out the window on highway 98 one day tho, it was too black even in my wild years.

eta: very little of any of it can I listen to now.

SkyRider

Jay Black of Jay and the Americans had a great voice and range. He showed it on 'Cara Mia'. So many others, anyway, what music kept you going through your youth? Or what records did you wear out listening to them over and over?

Wasn’t going to chime in as I had too many favorites. But the voice comment made me think of a song I loved a lot and the guy’s voice is fantastic. Pretty song too:

“Nothing Left to Lose” The Alan Parsons Project