What to give my atheist (but seeking) son-in-law?

I have never posted on here before, but I have read and followed posts often over many years. I respect and appreciate the high level of Biblical wisdom from so many of you! I am seeking advice from you all, in what would be the best video or book to give my son-in-law, who has been an atheist ever since my daughter has known him. My daughter told me recently that he is asking her questions about God, and how he can know for sure God is real. He wants proof, which made me remember the book A Case for Faith, and she will be giving him that to read. But I would also like to give him a video as a Christmas gift, that they can watch together, that builds on the "case" that God is indeed real, and that Jesus is the Son of God and our Savior. My daughter trusted in Christ as a teenager, but quickly fell away and is currently not walking with the Lord. She is now 34, and I pray every day that she would come back to Jesus, and that her husband would come also. Anyway, I was thinking of a video on evidence of God in Creation, on Prophecies fulfilled, or verifying Biblical Miracles, like the Exodus. I would be very appreciative to hear what you would recommend! Oh, and they have 2 teenage sons, so the target audience is actually the whole family, and I hope for it to be a riveting documentary, (not dry and boring)! Thanks for any help you can give! :thankyou

First of all let me say I will be :pray for you SIL, daughter, and their sons.
As for movies I liked the God Isn't Dead movies, and the Case For Christ movie based on the book.
Those are what came to mind when I first read your post. :hug
Thank you Annie! I was thinking of the Case for Christ movie, but then thought there might be something out there with more content (archeological discoveries etc.) that wasn't available when that was written. I didnt see the God's Not Dead movie, so I will check that out. Thank you so much for your prayers too!

Galoutofdixie

Looking up
This might be off the wall, but I thought of the old 70's hippie musical, "Jesus Christ Superstar". The 40th anniversary blu ray at Amazon had good reviews for sound, digital remastering, and music quality. I think that your intended audience might like it? As a very new Christian, this movie really moved me, and some of my friends, who were non believers at the time. Of course I was a child of the 60's,70's, so the Hippie Vibe was just our style. But I think it would be acceptably relevant for young adults now as well. It was all filmed in Israel, and the desert scenes with the tanks and jets was quite powerful. Certainly made an impact on me. Everyone will enjoy the music, and of course the message is undeniable. Ted Nealy portrayed Jesus in the film, and I thought he did great job. I can't remember the name of the guy who played Judas, but he was fantastic as well. Anyway, just a thought, and something different. :)

**********************/Jesus-Christ-Superstar-Ted-Neeley/dp/B00E3PK6N4/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=jesus+christ+superstar+40th+anniversary+blu+ray&qid=1605852651&sr=8-2

PS, Almost forgot. Welcome to the Forum!:cloud9

Last edited:

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
I concur with the Case for Christ suggestion ... both the book and the film. I'd also suggest the other "Case for ..." books. Some of Billy Graham's DVDs in his My Hope America series have great testimonies of how some well-known people (rappers, singers, athletes) along with some average Joes came to faith in Christ, how He miraculously reached each of them at their point of need.

Aren't you glad you decided to do a post? The RF members are a great group of people. We have scads of prayer warriors which is what I will be doing, praying for your son-in-law.
Yes, you're absolutely right, I am glad I stepped out of my introverted comfort zone! I recently moved to a new state and have a new church, friends etc, and have been praying for an on-fire-for-the-Lord friend and prayer partner. Maybe this forum is where He is leading me! I am married to an unbeliever, so it has been very hard, especially in this crazy year of Covid. Thanks so much for your prayers!!

Kerbluey

A Scientific Approach To Christianity by Robert Faid. He goes into a lot of stuff, but the statistics chapter blew my mind. The probability of one man fulfilling only eight prophecies is 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. That’s statistically impossible, and Jesus fulfilled far more than 8.

Lynn

Longing for Home
I am seeking advice from you all, in what would be the best video or book to give my son-in-law, who has been an atheist ever since my daughter has known him. My daughter told me recently that he is asking her questions about God, and how he can know for sure God is real. He wants proof. .
Ultimate Proof of Creation by Jason Lisle. He is a brilliant young man with a Ph.D. in astrophysics. Anything written by him has irrefutable evidence for God's existence and His work of creation. His books are available at Amazon in kindle format or print copy. Highly recommend him!!

Ultimate Proof of Creation by Jason Lisle. He is a brilliant young man with a Ph.D. in astrophysics. Anything written by him has irrefutable evidence for God's existence and His work of creation. His books are available at Amazon in kindle format or print copy. Highly recommend him!!
Sounds wonderful, thank you!

Accepted

Here is an excellent video, called The Privileged Planet by Dr. Guillermo Gonzales, that shows the intricacies of God’s design in creation:
**********************/Privileged-Planet-Cosmos-Designed-Discovery/dp/1684510775/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2DGZP7O9VRSY3&dchild=1&keywords=the+privileged+planet&qid=1606065771&sprefix=The+Priviledged+planet,aps,171&sr=8-3
I love this video!

Edit: oops, the link doesn’t show up. It is on Amazon, but make sure it’s the one by Dr. Gonzales!
Perfect, just what I was hoping for! Thank you Accepted!

First, does he have a Bible? I'd make sure there is one that is easily read and understood in the household. One of the ones that has a clear pathway to salvation presented in the front or back.

Personally, I like How Should We Then Live by Francis Schaeffer.
My daughter has a Bible, either NIV or NLT. I am visiting them in about 10 days, and as I give him these other resources, will definitely tell him about the Power and Truth of the Living Word, and how it promises that if we seek Him we will find Him. Praying the Holy Spirit will guide me and provide wisdom of what to say!

Batfan7

Might also look into "In search of the real mt. Sinai", if you want an archeology type of story (but I can't tell if it would grab a teenage boy). It's old enough that I'm not sure how easy it would be to find.

The "Case for Christ" book saved me, so I highly recommend that (but I've heard the movie isn't focused on apologetics, but rather on Lee Strobel's marriage, so I'd preview that video before gifting it to see if it's what you're thinking it is.)

There are a LOT of books on Creation vs Evolution, but I honestly wouldn't give a seeker one of those. Your focus should be on Jesus, the gospel, and why a person should believe what the Bible says about Him. The Creation/Evolution debate can distract from that and, as important as that is, isn't a salvation issue (you can be saved without believing there were dinosaurs on Noah's ark) A much smaller book that might wet the appetite (for the teens, perhaps) is the book "More than a Carpenter".