What of the mentally retarded?

Rocky R.

From John 9:41, we read "Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth".

I recognize that some mentally retarded persons may be able to understand the plan of salvation. But there are those whose condition is so acute that their mental capacity is that of a one-year old. I had an aunt (she passed away a decade ago) who fell into that category. She was unable to understand anything beyond eating and sleeping. Would the above verse apply to her? She was spiritually blind because she could not understand at all. In Matthew 18:10 the LORD says, "Take heed that you despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father who is in heaven." Clearly this is preferential treatment. Ttherefore because of God's special love for little children, wouldn't there be other kinds of preferential treatment as well? Now, don't get me wrong. The infant who dies and the old man who dies enters into glory the same way -- through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. But, in His grace and mercy, does not God impart the blood of Christ to those who have no capacity to decide for themselves? Yet, I can see some nihilist or abortionist say, "If that is the case then it doesn't rightly matter if we kill the little ones -- they go to Heaven anyway." I'm sure the reason God doesn't specifically tell us is because He anticipates the twisted reasoning of such individuals. I'm just wondering about my aunt.

kathymendel

I have no scripture come to mind to back me up................. but, l believe our awesome God would never put such a huge responsibility on a person who is unable to think for themselves or are severely handicapped in that way. I rather see Him as showing undeniable grace and mercy, and taking that soul home to glory, and their new body will not have those limitations. He does not forget even one soul..............He knows us through and through.
JMHO, tho.

Andy C

From Jack Kelley

Question: Through some of your recent writings, I have come to more thoroughly and TRULY understand the difference between the value of faith in Jesus and works done in His name. What does the Bible have to say about those living children or disabled adults who either because of their immaturity or disability, can not comprehend the acceptance of Jesus Christ as their Savior?

Answer: I interpret Romans 7:9 as Paul saying he had eternal life until he reached the age of accountability, at which time he became responsible for his sins and was sentenced to death. (Later, when he accepted the Lord as His Savior he was pardoned and the death sentence was canceled.) This means children who are under the age of accountability (not intellectually mature enough to understand the spiritual consequences of sin) are not held accountable for their sins and have eternal life.
The Bible doesn’t specifically address the mentally disabled. But in doing some research on the Jewish tradition of bar/bat mitzvah, the ceremony where boys and girls who’ve reached the age of accountability become officially responsible under the Law, I learned that children who do not develop the intellectual capacity to comprehend this are not required to accept the responsibility. From this research and from my studies on the character of God I have concluded that the mentally disabled always belong to God and are regarded as though innocent, and therefore are saved.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bi...for-children-and-mentally-handicapped-adults/

Andy C

Do mentally ill people go to heaven? Does God show mercy to those who are mentally challenged, disabled, or handicapped?"

Answer:
The Bible does not specifically say whether or not mentally ill people go to heaven. However, there is some biblical evidence that anyone who is not able to make a decision for salvation is covered by Christ’s death. This is similar to how it is commonly believed that children are automatically taken to heaven when they die until they reach the point in which they are able to make a decision for or against Christ. David had a child die, and he comforted himself with the thought, “Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me” (2 Samuel 12:23). David knew that he would see his child in heaven one day. From that statement, we can assume that babies and young children were, by God's grace, covered for salvation by Christ’s death.

We can postulate that mentally handicapped people are covered by this principle as well. The Word of God does not specifically say this, however. Knowing the love, grace, and mercy of God, this would seem consistent with His character. Any person who is mentally challenged to the extent that he could not be aware of his sinful state and believe in Christ for salvation is in the same category as a child, and it is not unreasonable to assume that person is saved by the grace and mercy of the same God who saves babies and small children.

As in everything, however, we must be careful not to be dogmatic about any issue the Bible does not specifically address. We do know that Jesus receives as His own all whom the Father has given to Him and He will lose none of them along the way (John 6:39). Jesus said of these, “And I give to them eternal life, and they shall never ever perish, and not anyone shall pluck them out of My hand” (John 10:28). We can take comfort in knowing that our God’s plan is always perfect, He always does what is right and just, and His love and mercy are infinite and everlasting.

https://www.gotquestions.org/mentally-challenged.html

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
This is not Scripture, only opinion. I agree with the above articles. I also believe that Jesus made us and He is able to communicate with each one of us, whatever our limitation may be (handicapped, senile, brain injured, etc..). He can communicate with animals to do His bidding and how much more precious to Him are we. All things are possible for Him.

mattfivefour

I know God. I know Him because He reveals Himself in His Word. And it's not just the letter of that Word that reveals Him, it's the Spirit in those words. His entire character is revealed for us all to see. And based upon that, I can say without equivocation or any doubt at all that God takes the mentally disabled to Heaven—just as surely as He takes the children. I know it for a fact.

If you insist on asking me for chapter and verse, I'll point you to Genesis 1:1-Revelation 22:21. I guarantee you'll know it, too.

Back