What of Repentance?

TRex2

Many people have told me to read The Gospel According to John, but for me, it was Luke. Vernon McGee says it is because I think differently than most. That gave me the basics and backstory, Ephesians sealed the deal for me. (Martin Luther, the monk that started the Lutheran Church said it was Galatians that sealed the deal for him.)

Even so, I had to ask some questions afterwords, to clarify some stuff and insure I got it right. After 20 years of asking, it was some of the people on here and Rapture Ready forums that finally got it through my thick skull.

As a side note, for some of those who feel they are slow to learn, take heart. If you will notice, just about everything the Lord wanted to teach Peter, He had to tell him three times. My belief is that Peter was a bit dense, and if Peter could learn it, there is hope for me.

Mikedexion

Greek and Hebrew definitions:

Strong's G3340 metanoéō (from 3326 /metá, "changed after being with" and 3539 /noiéō, "think") – properly, "think differently after," "after a change of mind"; to repent (literally, "think differently afterwards").
Usage: I repent, change my mind, change the inner man (particularly with reference to acceptance of the will of God), repent.

Strong's H5162 nacham: to be sorry, console oneself
be sorry, rue, suffer grief, repent, of one's own doings, absolute Exodus 13:17 (E), Psalm 106:45; Jeremiah 20:16; Joel 2:14; Zechariah 8:14; "" שׁקּר 1 Samuel 15:29 (twice in verse); מאס Job 42:6; שׁובJeremiah 4:28; Jeremiah 31:19; Jonah 3:9; חוּס Ezekiel 24:14; ׳לא נ, ""נשׂבע Psalm 110:4; c.עַל Amos 7:3,6; Jeremiah 8:6; Jeremiah 18:10; עלהֿרעה for ill done to others Exodus 32:12,14 (J), Jeremiah 18:8; Joel 2:13; Jonah 3:10; Jonah 4:2; אלהֿרעה 2 Samuel 24:16 = 1 Chronicles 21:15 (על), Jeremiah 26:8,13,19; Jeremiah 42:10; כְּיGenesis 6:6,7 (J), 1 Samuel 15:11,35.

Last edited:

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Further to those definitions. The noun metánoia (Strongs 3341) and its cognate verb metanoéo (Strongs 3340) are the usual words used in NT Scripture for repentance and repent. It literally means a change of inner mind and attitude and thus refers to a fundamental change of heart. It fits our concept of the true, deep repentance involved in salvation. Metamélomai, on the other hand, means a change of caring or concern. In actual koiné Greek usage, it refers to remorse or a change of mind—but not necessarily a change of heart. It fits our concept of regret. Metanoía/metanoéo are always deep, elemental, intrinsic, fundamental. Metamélomai is often superficial, auxiliary, non-essential.

I hope that helps.

crossnote

In lay terms, faith is a turning towards, while repentance is a turning away from, thus they are two sides of the same coin. As we truly turn to Jesus Christ we simultaneously turn away from all else that opposes Him. (No man can serve two masters etc). It is a work of God.

Jan51

In lay terms, faith is a turning towards, while repentance is a turning away from, thus they are two sides of the same coin. As we truly turn to Jesus Christ we simultaneously turn away from all else that opposes Him. (No man can serve two masters etc). It is a work of God.
1Thes 1:9 For they themselves report about us what kind of a reception we had with you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve a living and true God,

Mikedexion

Further to those definitions. The noun metánoia (Strongs 3341) and its cognate verb metanoéo (Strongs 3340) are the usual words used in NT Scripture for repentance and repent. It literally means a change of inner mind and attitude and thus refers to a fundamental change of heart. It fits our concept of the true, deep repentance involved in salvation. Metamélomai, on the other hand, means a change of caring or concern. In actual koiné Greek usage, it refers to remorse or a change of mind—but not necessarily a change of heart. It fits our concept of regret. Metanoía/metanoéo are always deep, elemental, intrinsic, fundamental. Metamélomai is often superficial, auxiliary, non-essential.

I hope that helps.
Ah yes G3340 and 3341 are better renditions! I will edit the above post. Thanks! :thumbup

Last edited: