What of Repentance?

VeritasBulldog82

Let me ask this. What of repentance? I am a big fan of Ray Comfort's ministry and he has taught about the lack of repentance (turning from sin) being preached in the modern salvation message, which results in false converts. I don't believe that is LS but many try to call it that even though Ray wrote an article stating he does not preach LS.

[Link removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jan51

Let me ask this. What of repentance? I am a big fan of Ray Comfort's ministry and he has taught about the lack of repentance (turning from sin) being preached in the modern salvation message, which results in false converts. I don't believe that is LS but many try to call it that even though Ray wrote an article stating he does not preach LS.

[Link removed]
I believe that "repent" means a change of mind, of thinking. Others may not agree. But to me, repent is just another term for "believe." To be saved, we must change our thinking--about who we are (hopeless sinners), who Christ is (fully God and fully man, risen from the dead), what He accomplished (He paid for our sins with His blood on the cross).

I doubt false converts are any more of a problem today than in the early church. The epistles make it clear the early church struggled with the same issues we have today. Even Philip, in Acts 8:5-24, baptized someone he thought was a true believer who seems not to have been one after all (Simon). Jesus said the wheat and tares will grow together, being hard to distinguish.

greg64

I agree with Jan, repent means to change your mind.

On my phone so it's a little hard to search and post the link, but in the Soteriology threads Andy Woods had some good teaching on LS and how they put the cart before the horse. The Holy Spirit is the one who stirs up repentance in us in the sense many people use it (in a more works based sense) . Without The Spirit's influence as He continues to work after salvation, we wouldn't get very far turning from sin. We have to own the problem as part of salvation, but the rest is a result and not a precursor.

Andy C

Andrew

Well known member

[Link removed]
You are correct that turning from sin is not the same thing as LS. However, it does raise another question - how much turning away is required before you are saved? Only a little, say on the big stuff, or everything such that we don't sin any more? As others have stated, repentance is a change of mind that includes recognising that we are sinners. Paul told us how the flesh will war with the mind constantly. Sanctification is an ongoing process.

Andrew

Well known member

[Link removed]
I'm not sure how you can be a fan of Ray Comfort if you are not yet a believer. Moving this and your other thread to the Apologetics forum to allow the conversation to continue.

Hol

Worships Him
If you have a Bible, read the Gospel of John and ask our Heavenly Father how you can believe in Jesus. You don't need a special prayer, you don't need a priest, or any person.

May He give love to you, and end all confusion you've shared with us. God is not the author of confusion (1 Cor. 14:33).

Andrew

Well known member
We need forgiveness because "all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23). Moreover, we can do nothing ourselves to take away our sins and to make ourselves fit for the presence of God who, because of His holiness, cannot overlook our sins. One day He will call each sinner to account for every sin committed, for "it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment." (Hebrews 9:27). A serious position to be in!

The good news - God has a righteous basis to forgive the repentant sinner without giving up one little bit of His righteousness and holiness. "God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16), and "without shedding of blood is no remission." (Hebrews 9:22). Then it needed to be a perfect offering, so "with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot." (1 Peter 1:19). On the cross, God poured upon Jesus all His judgment against sin and sins and Jesus bore it all. From God's side, the work is complete.

So, is everybody forgiven? No. God requires "repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." (Acts 20:21). Everyone can be forgiven, for God's invitation is to whomsoever will.

I can know that my sins are forgiven by conviction that I am a sinner, taking heed to God's word, like Simon Peter who said "Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord." (Luke 5:8). Don't be like many today who are trusting that their good deeds will outweigh their bad ones and will provide entry to heaven. There is not one word in the Bible to support such an idea as this!

What about repentance? I need to recognise my sinfulness and to cry to God for mercy. The jailor in Philippi cried out "what must I do to be saved?" (Acts 16:30). Paul's answer to him was "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved." There was not a shadow of doubt from the Apostle, neither was there a moment's hesitation!

Now God can come into your life through the Lord Jesus and give you peace in your soul and the enjoyment of the forgiveness of your sins. He will fill your heart with His love through the Holy Spirit and give you peace and joy through believing in the Lord Jesus - the jailor "rejoiced, believing in God with all his house." (Acts 16:34)

The forgiveness of your sins does not depend on anything that you can do to earn or merit the favour of God by your own efforts. But you can be assured of forgiveness by repenting of your sins, and believing God's word, showing it by putting your faith and trust in His beloved Son.

BibleToad

There is a beautiful picture of salvation in Luke 23:39-43. Many people seem to forget this when they begin the journey down the road of do this, do that and do this other to salvation.

There were two other people being crucified with the Lord. The two thieves were mocking and blaspheming Jesus as were many of those standing around. But, an amazing thing took place in an instant of time. One of the thieves heard the call of the Holy Spirit, admitted that his punishment was due him and repented (changed his mind) about Christ. In that instant, he was saved and Jesus told him that he, the thief, would accompany Him into paradise.

The miracle of salvation! Jesus forgave his blasphemy, accepted his repentance (turning to Him) in faith and took him to paradise.

That is salvation, as others above have said. Acknowledge that you are a sinner and you need salvation and believe in Jesus Christ alone for your salvation.

That's what the thief did!

Hol

Worships Him
There is a beautiful picture of salvation in Luke 23:39-43. Many people seem to forget this when they begin the journey down the road of do this, do that and do this other to salvation.

There were two other people being crucified with the Lord. The two thieves were mocking and blaspheming Jesus as were many of those standing around. But, an amazing thing took place in an instant of time. One of the thieves heard the call of the Holy Spirit, admitted that his punishment was due him and repented (changed his mind) about Christ. In that instant, he was saved and Jesus told him that he, the thief, would accompany Him into paradise.

The miracle of salvation! Jesus forgave his blasphemy, accepted his repentance (turning to Him) in faith and took him to paradise.

That is salvation, as others above have said. Acknowledge that you are a sinner and you need salvation and believe in Jesus Christ alone for your salvation.

That's what the thief did!
Amen BibleToad, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this!

ldonjohn

"God said it, that settles it!"
If you have a Bible, read the Gospel of John and ask our Heavenly Father how you can believe in Jesus. You don't need a special prayer, you don't need a priest, or any person.

May He give love to you, and end all confusion you've shared with us. God is not the author of confusion (1 Cor. 14:33).
WOW, that is exactly my testimony! If anyone is interested in reading about how the Holy Spirit used the Gospel of John to to bring a confused miserable lost soul out of the darkness of unbelief into the light of the Gospel, and replaced my fear with total peace the link below is my testimony which is posted here at RF.

https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/what-does-it-mean-to-believe-in-jesus.82903/