what not to read

REKG

I mentioned in bible class that I had read the quran in English , to see if I could understand stand where these people are coming from in their thinking. I was told that the bible says that we should not read these type of books. I said is this scripture, cause I have read the Mormon bible, some of the catholic materials, some articles on JW's. How am I to reach these people if I have no clue about their religion. If I am doing wrong by reading their material according to the scriptures I will. Can any body shed any light.

LivnForChrist

Jesus Christ is Lord
The truth shall make you free. I know a few core beliefs of different
religions but I'm not reading through their materials. I'm like Paul,
I just preach Christ and Him crucified. Others may offer a differing
opinion. :idunno:

lynnjcksnjck

I mentioned in bible class that I had read the quran in English , to see if I could understand stand where these people are coming from in their thinking. I was told that the bible says that we should not read these type of books. I said is this scripture, cause I have read the Mormon bible, some of the catholic materials, some articles on JW's. How am I to reach these people if I have no clue about their religion. If I am doing wrong by reading their material according to the scriptures I will. Can any body shed any light.

What a good question. I found this bit of information on Gracebyfaith.com which may help you. I would just caution about reading other material that isn't Christ centered that it may cause confusion. If you are a very well grounded Christian I don't see why this would be a bad thing , or something that isn't allowed.

Exercising Discernment | GracethrufaithGracethrufaith

A. The gift of discernment is mentioned in 1 Cor. 12:10 where the Greek language literally means distinguishing between spirits. Many people don’t realize that false teaching is often not just an innocent misunderstanding. It can also be something introduced by the enemy to sow deception or confusion. In these times it’s more important than ever for believers to exercise their discernment. After all it was given to protect the body from false teaching.

RonJohnSilver

I think it's a combination of two things. Discernment, so that you can know what is error and what isn't, and moderation. I don't need to know every nuance of a false doctrine to see that it's a false doctrine. Getting tied up in trivialities will get you no where except into arguments and confusion. Stick to the basics...as mentioned above,...Christ crucified and risen. There are also numerous Christian books or articles or websites which can show you the differences without you having to do all of the heavy research. And however much time you spend reading false beliefs, spend more time reading the Scripture. Having a solid, thorough, deeply-ingrained understanding of the Bible will be your best weapon. Let the unbelievers defend their own false doctrines. I doubt if very many people are converted because someone showed them the errors of their own religion. There is a reason that Paul called the Bible a sword. Use your weapon, not theirs. RJS

iSong6:3

I have a differing view. I agree that reading these demon-inspired works should not be attempted by Christian lambs and anyone not strongly grounded in the faith and doctrine. That's dangerous, of course.

But the more scholarly and strong can and often do read other religions' works and report to us what they say. I know plenty of Christian apologists and teachers who have Korans, Bhagavad Gitas, Book of Mormons, etc, on their bookshelves. It does no good to attempt apologetics with only the information about errant beliefs provided by the deluded themselves about their religion. They will not report them accurately.

That said, there is certainly a time to close up shop with those who refuse the Truth. And we use our knowledge of their beliefs to shine the light of the Word of God on the darkness of the lies they believe. We focus on that - God's Truth. He said He will bless His Word.

SueAnn

I was told that the bible says that we should not read these type of books.
Did they show you the actual scripture that they referred to? I would have asked for the specific scriptures immediately.

HeadnHome

I've never felt lead by the Spirit to investigate other religions. I do not want, or need, to understand more about their beliefs to assist me with sharing what I believe. Similarly, I do not need to drink alcohol to understand that alcohol abuse is wrong. I do not need to push my lovely wife around to understand that spousal abuse is wrong. I can speak intelligently about the benefits of a clear mind and a loving relationship by investing deeper into the healthy aspects of mind and relationships, not learning more about the negative aspects of unhealthy behavior. Additional knowledge of false doctrines may help one argue the matter, but a deeper understanding of Christ helps one love others toward Christ. Just my simple thoughts . . .

Welcome to RF, HeadnHome. :hat:

I appreciate that you don't feel led to understand these sorts of things. Therefore you shouldn't, it's not for you.

I trust you won't think or judge others who do feel led of God to study errant beliefs, including but not limited to Christian apologists.

I suggest that the analogy to drunkenness and spousal abuse is a false one.

yeshua'sbride

♥ Standing with Israel
I've never felt lead by the Spirit to investigate other religions. I do not want, or need, to understand more about their beliefs to assist me with sharing what I believe. . . .

Right. As iSong said, it's not for you to do, so don't do it.

My mother, a devout roman catholic all her life, denied certain doctrines in that church existed until I showed her in black and white from their own catechism. I was led to do this so we could then do a side-by-side comparison of what God's word says without her being able to hide behind her denial. I'm sure many people caught up in false religions are so deceived they don't even know what they're going along with and it's not a bad thing for a Christian to be able to arm themselves with the knowledge to refute satan's lies.

HeadnHome said:
Similarly, I do not need to drink alcohol to understand that alcohol abuse is wrong. I do not need to push my lovely wife around to understand that spousal abuse is wrong. I can speak intelligently about the benefits of a clear mind and a loving relationship by investing deeper into the healthy aspects of mind and relationships, not learning more about the negative aspects of unhealthy behavior. Additional knowledge of false doctrines may help one argue the matter, but a deeper understanding of Christ helps one love others toward Christ. Just my simple thoughts . . .

I find your analogy to the sins of drunkenness and spousal abuse to be offensive and not a good way to introduce yourself to the fellowship in your first post.

twit

I read up on RC years ago to help me understand so I could witness better and just to be forearmed, it got good use. I did the same concerning JWs and Mormans etc to help me prepared. But at the end of the day I was getting well versed in Scripture. I'm happy I read those materials, they helped me understand and how to help others according to the Bible.

I remember reading about the NAM about 16 year ogo, it had a bad effect. Reading quotes from leading New agers made me sick in Spirit, I felt polluted.

I have respect for those in discernment and the work they do, but I aslo know many folk who use the sword well enough without the many books. But in witnessing I firmly believe in a balance for loving the Saviour and loving the truth. A bit of compassion can witness to people. Even the truth need love.

David_A_Reed

Come, Lord Jesus!
As the author of several books on Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, I have obviously read their materials. Someone has to do it.

But I compare it to the job of taking out the garbage. Someone has to do it. But it's not fun. You need to hold your nose. And if you don't have a strong stomach, it can make you sick.

It's best to spend most of our reading hours on the Word of God. But we also need to know what is going on around us. Today, reading the newspaper or watching TV can also be like reading false religious materials. Even when they do speak of "Jesus" it is a different Jesus -- not the real Jesus of the Bible.

David

mattfivefour

While I agree with David that it is a little "like taking out the garbage", for me it provides not so much distaste as anger at those who teach such garbage ... followed by profound sadness for those who are deceived by it. As I read I am continually finding God's Word springing up in my mind, showing me the truth each time I read error.

WaitingForTheTrumpet

I have a differing view. I agree that reading these demon-inspired works should not be attempted by Christian lambs and anyone not strongly grounded in the faith and doctrine. That's dangerous, of course.

But the more scholarly and strong can and often do read other religions' works and report to us what they say. I know plenty of Christian apologists and teachers who have Korans, Bhagavad Gitas, Book of Mormons, etc, on their bookshelves. It does no good to attempt apologetics with only the information about errant beliefs provided by the deluded themselves about their religion. They will not report them accurately.

That said, there is certainly a time to close up shop with those who refuse the Truth. And we use our knowledge of their beliefs to shine the light of the Word of God on the darkness of the lies they believe. We focus on that - God's Truth. He said He will bless His Word.

I agree. I have done (and still do) a ton of research of many false religions and cults, to get a better understanding of their blindness, and to raise awareness to true believers about those false doctrines. We equip ourselves with Truth so that we won't fall for every wind of false doctrine, but can defend our faith.

livin_in_the_Son

I agree. I have done (and still do) a ton of research of many false religions and cults, to get a better understanding of their blindness, and to raise awareness to true believers about those false doctrines. We equip ourselves with Truth so that we won't fall for every wind of false doctrine, but can defend our faith.

I do this as well. Some people need to see the error, the "black and white" of it before they can understand the difference. I'm constantly searching stuff when someone asks a question, or my husband brings up something he heard...it'll drive me nuts until I can say definitively whether something is true or not and why.

I can't bring myself to read a koran though. It stares at me every time I'm in the library, or the bookstore. I don't know if it's just me or my spirit flipping out. One of these days I'll pray about it.

I do talk to others who have read the koran in order to witness specifically to muslims, in order to gain insights as to what the koran teaches about a particular thing...But I haven't read it myself. I also have read other books (i.e. the shack) in order to point out the false teachings in those books as well. :hat:

David_A_Reed

Come, Lord Jesus!
I do this as well. Some people need to see the error, the "black and white" of it before they can understand the difference. I'm constantly searching stuff when someone asks a question, or my husband brings up something he heard...it'll drive me nuts until I can say definitively whether something is true or not and why.

I can't bring myself to read a koran though. It stares at me every time I'm in the library, or the bookstore. I don't know if it's just me or my spirit flipping out. One of these days I'll pray about it.

I do talk to others who have read the koran in order to witness specifically to muslims, in order to gain insights as to what the koran teaches about a particular thing...But I haven't read it myself. I also have read other books (i.e. the shack) in order to point out the false teachings in those books as well. :hat:
The Koran really is a tough read. So is the Book of Mormon. Happily, there are online sources that point out the verses that are significant, or useful in discussions, so we don't need to slog through the boring stuff that goes on-and-on about nothing.

David

The Koran really is a tough read. So is the Book of Mormon. Happily, there are online sources that point out the verses that are significant, or useful in discussions, so we don't need to slog through the boring stuff that goes on-and-on about nothing.

David

Exactly. Someone who has good Biblical doctrine and is trustworthy took the time to do that valuable work for the Body.

My personal limit stops before the satanic bible (because of my history) but there are solid men of God who are able to go through that and offer their reports to the rest of us.

HeadnHome

Wow! I apologize to any/all I offended. My post was clearly filled with many 'I's and thereby meant to indicate how 'I' feel about and how 'I' choose to respond to the idea of exposing 'my' mind to evil concepts and false religions. Again, the Spirit leads me away from this nonsense. Protecting myself from being exposed to these false religions is my choice. Staying away from this propaganda is what I have discerned proper and safe for me.

Others who choose to dabble in, study and dissect other religions so that they are equipped to verbally discuss the matter intelligently are free to do so. I understand that. The Spirit is hopefully leading them to do so. I choose to not enter into discussions with others about their false beliefs as I tend to become quickly irritated and feel lead to turn away and leave, while shaking the sand from my sandals. I seem to not have sufficient time to pray without ceasing, enough time to continue gathering with other believers and enough time for looking forward to my rapture moment. There's precious little time left for me to study other religions.

For those not already guessing, I do not have the gift of Evangelism. My spiritual gifts are Discernment and Leadership. I'll continue trying to love people toward Jesus and watch as the Holy Spirit leads them into the Light. Blessing to All!

mbrown1219

Heaven's Stables
Welcome to RF HeadnHome.

:welcome:

:rose:

It takes all the "gifts" to be an integral part of the Body. We all know *my* limitations! Today my girlfriend on this forum likened me to an angel and a junkyard dog, depending on *certain* circumstances.... I chose to take it as a compliment!

:pound:

So glad you have joined us!