What it takes to be a witness

FaithInChrist

I have been struggling as a Christian lately, not struggling with my beliefs, but struggling with my ability to witness. I am so afraid of witnessing and not knowing the correct answers that I do not move forward in situations that I encounter where I could witness about Jesus Christ. I have prayed that if somebody is going to hear the Truth from my lips and they refuse to believe, I would rather my witness be faulty, and not counted, than for a person to deny Christ.

I have felt pulled many times to speak out for Christ, and held back, because of doubting my own ability.

So because of things written above and needing guidance from my Father, I waited up until the house was quiet, then stole away into my master bathroom, got down on my knees and began to pray, taking my Bible with me, praying for Christ to lead me to scripture that will teach me, His will.
I have to admit, I am not a smart person. When I read the Bible, I have to pray for guidance, for discernment, each and every time I read, or the words are simply words and it is hard to find the meaning behind them. However, every single time I sincerely pray, I am led to the scripture that addresses my struggle, or answers my question, and the scripture makes sense. It is supernatural, how perfectly it works out each time, with God revealing to me the answer to what troubles my heart.

Last night after my prayer, I opened my Bible to 1 Corinthians. I have read all of the New Testament, within the last year, since last year I read the Bible after becoming a Christian, but I have never studied, or discerned 1 Corinthians. I did recognize several scriptures that I have seen quoted. Another thing I am not good at is memorizing scripture. I can tell a person “the Bible says”, but I cannot tell you where it is. That is something I have to work on. Anyway, I opened the Bible to 1 Corinthians and began to read. Pressing on my mind, was my doubt in having enough knowledge to be a good witness. I had prayed for wisdom, but what I needed was some good Bible discernment, because not long after I began to read this scripture became an answer to my most fervent prayer.

1 Corinthians 2: 1-5 “When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words but with a demonstration of the Spirits power, so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.”

Could a scripture more perfectly depict my own concerns about being a witness? I do not need to be eloquent, my witness, through scripture, of Christ and the cross and being filled with the Holy Spirit are enough to do the job that needs to be done. I need to quit doubting my abilities and start relying on God. My further reading told me more, that nothing I do or say is what saves a person, I could do the planting, or even the watering, but it is God that does the growing. Each person born in Christ is done so because of God.

Some might say, “All that work and no glory”, but I say, “What a relief, what a weight off my shoulders”, because as long as I am simply a witness, I bear no burden if a person does not come to know Christ. Ultimately, their relationship with Christ, is fundamentally between them and Christ. Now I know there is a Crown for soul winning, but I also know we cast those crowns at the feet of Jesus, for He is the one that deserves all the glory.

So when I am standing alone, and feel I should witness, I need to look behind me and see how big my God is, that stands behind me. Should they reject what I have to say, I will be sad, because I know what they have turned away from, but the rejection is not against me, they have rejected my Savior, and that wrath belongs to Him alone. God will deal with those that reject His Son, but He is merciful and will wait until the last minute, to bring the fullness of the Gentiles into the fold.

It is time to be a witness, not just to the willing audience, but to all that we see, that we have an opportunity to talk to.

Much love,
Dianne

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
And bear in mind that "witnessing" is not going up to people and telling them about the gospel of Jesus Christ. That is proclaiming the gospel. Witnessing is living so that your life bears witness to the truth of what you proclaim. Witnessing is sharing what Christ has done for you with the evidence that you are indeed changed. Witnessing is proving Christ is still alive through the very nature of your changed life. Witnessing is allowing the world to see Christ in you so that your testimony of new life in Christ proves true.

Sadly, the evangelical church has altered the meaning of the word "witnessing" and it has come to mean approaching strangers with the gospel, handing out tracts, etc, etc. such a poor substitute for the original meaning! As Paul explained in that passage you quote, Dianne, the power of God IN him is what did the work. And so it is with us. Awesome message, sis.

FaithInChrist

And bear in mind that "witnessing" is not going up to people and telling them about the gospel of Jesus Christ. That is proclaiming the gospel. Witnessing is living so that your life bears witness to the truth of what you proclaim. Witnessing is sharing what Christ has done for you with the evidence that you are indeed changed. Witnessing is proving Christ is still alive through the very nature of your changed life. Witnessing is allowing the world to see Christ in you so that your testimony of new life in Christ proves true.

Sadly, the evangelical church has altered the meaning of the word "witnessing" and it has come to mean approaching strangers with the gospel, handing out tracts, etc, etc. such a poor substitute for the original meaning! As Paul explained in that passage you quote, Dianne, the power of God IN him is what did the work. And so it is with us. Awesome message, sis.
Then sharing the gospel is what I must do, for I pray I am already witnessing. :nod

livin_in_the_Son

Dianne,

I suffer from the same problem as you...I can NOT memorize scripture, and gleaning the meaning behind a verse, chapter, or book, escapes me....and I also take rejection of my beliefs as an affront against me, and not against Jesus.

I also know the relief you felt when I realized as well that people came to Christ because of the Holy Spirit, and not me. I was trying to be so many person's Holy Spirit that I was depressed, empty, and basically dejected. Once I learned that I was merely to plant seeds...my heart sang!

Sure, I still have family who point out my short temper flaring up, or a cuss word slipping out here and there (I WAS a sailor ya know!) but instead of letting them point out how 'unchristian' that is...I point out how that it's between me and God, and He still loves me period, and how liberating that is....to confess that slip, be forgiven, and move on....instead of being guilty forever for not being perfect.

I loved your post dear sister!

FaithInChrist

I also know the relief you felt when I realized as well that people came to Christ because of the Holy Spirit, and not me. I was trying to be so many person's Holy Spirit that I was depressed, empty, and basically dejected. Once I learned that I was merely to plant seeds...my heart sang!
Oh yes! Hallelujah! That's it exactly.

JC1949

I have been struggling as a Christian lately, not struggling with my beliefs, but struggling with my ability to witness. I am so afraid of witnessing and not knowing the correct answers that I do not move forward in situations that I encounter where I could witness about Jesus Christ. I have prayed that if somebody is going to hear the Truth from my lips and they refuse to believe, I would rather my witness be faulty, and not counted, than for a person to deny Christ.

I have felt pulled many times to speak out for Christ, and held back, because of doubting my own ability.

So because of things written above and needing guidance from my Father, I waited up until the house was quiet, then stole away into my master bathroom, got down on my knees and began to pray, taking my Bible with me, praying for Christ to lead me to scripture that will teach me, His will.
I have to admit, I am not a smart person. When I read the Bible, I have to pray for guidance, for discernment, each and every time I read, or the words are simply words and it is hard to find the meaning behind them. However, every single time I sincerely pray, I am led to the scripture that addresses my struggle, or answers my question, and the scripture makes sense. It is supernatural, how perfectly it works out each time, with God revealing to me the answer to what troubles my heart.

Last night after my prayer, I opened my Bible to 1 Corinthians. I have read all of the New Testament, within the last year, since last year I read the Bible after becoming a Christian, but I have never studied, or discerned 1 Corinthians. I did recognize several scriptures that I have seen quoted. Another thing I am not good at is memorizing scripture. I can tell a person “the Bible says”, but I cannot tell you where it is. That is something I have to work on. Anyway, I opened the Bible to 1 Corinthians and began to read. Pressing on my mind, was my doubt in having enough knowledge to be a good witness. I had prayed for wisdom, but what I needed was some good Bible discernment, because not long after I began to read this scripture became an answer to my most fervent prayer.

1 Corinthians 2: 1-5 “When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words but with a demonstration of the Spirits power, so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.”

Could a scripture more perfectly depict my own concerns about being a witness? I do not need to be eloquent, my witness, through scripture, of Christ and the cross and being filled with the Holy Spirit are enough to do the job that needs to be done. I need to quit doubting my abilities and start relying on God. My further reading told me more, that nothing I do or say is what saves a person, I could do the planting, or even the watering, but it is God that does the growing. Each person born in Christ is done so because of God.

Some might say, “All that work and no glory”, but I say, “What a relief, what a weight off my shoulders”, because as long as I am simply a witness, I bear no burden if a person does not come to know Christ. Ultimately, their relationship with Christ, is fundamentally between them and Christ. Now I know there is a Crown for soul winning, but I also know we cast those crowns at the feet of Jesus, for He is the one that deserves all the glory.

So when I am standing alone, and feel I should witness, I need to look behind me and see how big my God is, that stands behind me. Should they reject what I have to say, I will be sad, because I know what they have turned away from, but the rejection is not against me, they have rejected my Savior, and that wrath belongs to Him alone. God will deal with those that reject His Son, but He is merciful and will wait until the last minute, to bring the fullness of the Gentiles into the fold.

It is time to be a witness, not just to the willing audience, but to all that we see, that we have an opportunity to talk to.

Much love,
Dianne

Hey Hey........You are a witness....because You believe in Jesus.....He made you one already.....
You and I and nobody can save anyone...He does...Just be what you are,a witness...results will come....no worries!:elmogrin