What is the significance of the phrase " to continue" in revelation 13:5?

"And he was given a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies, and he was given authority to continue for forty-two months." [Rev 13:5 NKJV]

What is the significance of the phrase "to continue" in Revelation 13:5? Comparing all the different translations, only the KJV and NKJV have that phrase. The NKJV has a note that reads "M-text reads to make war," so only those translations that follow the Textus Receptus have that phrase.

One of my thoughts regarding the significance of the phrase would be that it implies the Antichrist doing something prior and therefore lasting for a 7-year tribulation. It could also be significant in supporting the idea that the rider on the White Horse in the first seal judgment is indeed the Antichrist and that he emerged on the scene at that time (if not then, then when?).

As a side note, this is one of the many reasons why the NKJV is my main/preferred translation because it includes all the words and objectively shows in its footnotes where other manuscript traditions differ without casting doubt upon the Word of God.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
The AC comes on the scene at the beginning of the 7-year Tribulation period. He goes forth to conquer as the rider on the white horse. By peace he tries to conquer. His bow has no arrows and by peace he deceives many.

At the midpoint, when he stands in the rebuilt Third Temple and declares himself to be God that the Jews turn on him. He is allowed to continue on his evil campaign for 42 months until he is stopped by Jesus Christ himself at the Second Coming. He initialy comes on the scene as a peacemaker, a guy with all the answers, etc. At the midpoint he will be entered by Satan and will go on a campaign to destroy the Jews and those that remain. His campaign will ended by Jesus Christ himself.

You can read articles about the AC here on the main site: https://www.raptureforums.com/?s=Antichrist

The AC comes on the scene at the beginning of the 7-year Tribulation period. He goes forth to conquer as the rider on the white horse. By peace he tries to conquer. His bow has no arrows and by peace he deceives many.

At the midpoint, when he stands in the rebuilt Third Temple and declares himself to be God that the Jews turn on him. He is allowed to continue on his evil campaign for 42 months until he is stopped by Jesus Christ himself at the Second Coming. He initialy comes on the scene as a peacemaker, a guy with all the answers, etc. At the midpoint he will be entered by Satan and will go on a campaign to destroy the Jews and those that remain. His campaign will ended by Jesus Christ himself.

You can read articles about the AC here on the main site: https://www.raptureforums.com/?s=Antichrist
Hey Chris, thank you for responding. I am aware of the pre-trib position. Do you think that other translations that do not follow the Textus receptus obscure this teaching in Revelation 13:5? Would you say that this is one of the go-to verses to prove that the tribulation is more than just three and a half years?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Chris, thank you for responding. I am aware of the pre-trib position. Do you think that other translations that do not follow the Textus receptus obscure this teaching in Revelation 13:5? Would you say that this is one of the go-to verses to prove that the tribulation is more than just three and a half years?

I use the KJV myself. I don't know what other versions use so I can't help you there.

The Tribulation period is 7 years long. The second half is the worst part of it, hence it is called "great" tribulation.

The remaining 7 years of Tribulation is from the 70 weeks of Daniel. The clock stopped at 483 with the first coming of Jesus. There are 7 years of judgment for Israel left and that will include unrepentant sinners as well.

Back